• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Garden Restaurant: Boring Menu?

Thing is, the menu will be 'created' by a highly trained chef.

I use the word 'create' loosely in this case as the current menu is textbook.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I know this is disappointing and considering their past offerings, it is a step backwards for the restaurant. However, I just wonder how much of it is pure laziness as opposed to taking out 'quirky' items because they weren't selling? If the stranger things on the menu weren't popular - then why should they be kept on there? It may seem bland to us, but are the general public really going to mourn the loss of snails and baked camembert?

Not saying that point of view is correct or why this has happened but just offering an alternative view.

Secret Garden was the first time I ever had snails as well, the waitress won us round to trying them, and I am really glad she did.

The menu is okay, the food is far superior than you find elsewhere even if the menu suggests it's rather bland (don't anyone ever suggest the food quality is same as flambos again!). Hopefully the specials are decent.

I don't think it's fair to say that we would have a different view to "general public" in regards to the menu, as we are primarily theme park enthusiasts. It just so happens a few of us are food enthusiasts too!

The menu was never 'quirky'. It was what you would expect for an a la carte restaurant. Now it's like a wetherspoons on a reduced menu. Since Emperors is never open, there is no 'premium' dining available at the resort, although you pay premium prices.

Although you could perhaps consider prawn cocktail as 'quirky'...

I was speaking to Dan about this yesterday since we're visiting tonight (and no doubt was what caused this topic to be started!).

I wouldn't consider myself a huge food fan really. I like my food yes, but wouldn't exactly consider myself a connoisseur by any means! That said though,I do really consider this menu to be extremely bland. The winter menu, although better still wasn't what I would expect from the resort, but at least there was something to excite me on there. If they're truly set in creating a magical experience, then surely the restaurant should be offering something a little more exciting than prawn cocktail, soup and melon for starter!

I don't buy that the "quirky" stuff want selling though. Whilst I can't comment on the likes of the much earlier stuff, I saw plenty tucking into snails in the times I've eaten there. Considering how often explorer's is closed, a bit more variety wouldn't go amiss.

Why is there no modern twist on some of the more traditional dishes? The steak is just...steak, the fish and chips just fish and chips. Yeah the fish and chips is presented in a nice way, but that's not really sold to you on the menu (and beyond the difference presentation it's nothing to write home about!). A stay at the hotels isn't exactly cheap most of the time, so it would be nice to see some more effort into the food offering.

My theory is that the menu is deliberately simple over main season. As those who have been to the hotels over main season will have no doubt seen, it's often difficult to get a table in SGR as it's booked up fairly early on. It wouldn't surprise me if the menu was deliberately limited and the dishes simplified to maximise the number of people they can get served and through the door. Should the winter menu see the return of less "spoons like" food in a few months, I would imagine this theory would have some weight!

The food was nice, but as expected - the menu limited. Just lacked any spark!

There was one special. It was vegetarian and was Halloumi Cheese. I actually think it's a great choice for Vegetarians... but your standard eaters are left high and dry with the choices.

:(

Its average. Its not brilliant, but it's not bad either. For the UK it's pretty much what you expect from a large hotel (not to say that its ok), but for the price, you do expect more choice and better presentation. I also feel that, as already mentioned, some menus are dumbed down just to make it easier to roll them out quicker to get people through. This shouldn't be the case and if serving your guests is a problem, then they should really consider making a new, proper restaurant and not just opening up the conference suite and putting on a fairly average menus again.

For those who are worried about my mental state since the loss of camembert, I have news...

My mourning has been reduced by the introduction of the new 'mango, bacon & brie flatbread'*. It was lovely, so much so that I'm going to attempt to recreate it now that I'm home.

*This still doesn't make up for the rest of the bland menu though.

Oh that's such a shame! I was really impressed with the SGR menu last winter. I think I had the risotto. Danbini was SO excited about the snails! He wouldn't bloody shut up about the bloody snails all evening! :D Bring back the snails, for Danbini's sake!

It is a bit boring. How upsetting that the Thai curry is vegetarian! I hope the winter menu is an improvement, I hope to be sampling it fo' sho'. :D

I love how they have an essentially 'boring' menu, and as a result wheel out excessively tarted up dishes...

So fab <3

Sorry for bumping, I wanted to post these earlier but I only found this today. Just to give an idea of how the menu used to look and what the SGR had to offer about 8 years ago.

p1190880726-5.jpg

p1190880748-5.jpg

For easier reading, here you can view lager versions of the front and back. (Large files)

For those who don't have the benefit of seeing my facebook rant, Secret Garden wasn't even open at all today. Despite the fact that we had booked a table there only a few hours before... having been told "Emperors is closed, would you like the Secret Garden instead?"... we turned up to find it shut.

I will say no more, since the words I would like to use are not suitable for this forum.

That just sounds simply odd Diogo... Particularly when you say on Facebook that the hotel seemed fairly busy, thus you would expect SGR to be open!

In other news, does anyone have a picture of the Scarefest menu?

Splash was busy, but ATH was deserted. no singers in the boat and no one to be seen in Dragon bar. it felt like the whole hotel was shut.

I was told yesterday that a company had booked out ATH/Secret Garden yesterday, Homebase or something like that? There must have been a reason for it being closed, I've been in the hotels countless time, when busy and quiet, and it's always been open. Even when we stayed over last year on the nudist weekend (we were not a part of this!! :p) and ATH was basically empty, Secret Garden was open!

Typically awful communications though when it comes to being told it's open and booking when it's not. Towers really need to sort out communications around the Resort!

:)

I guess that's possible, as we were booked in rather late, but it was deserted with no signs of life.

Either way, ate there tonight. The menu was indeed a tad on the "meh" side, though what we had was still very nice. They have a halloween specials menu at the moment as well.

Oh, and We've been told Emperors will not be open all weekend :(