• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Security at Theme Parks and Other Public Places

They are probably trying to get footage of the police shooting innocent bystanders.

You mean the person who was in the way and whom the police were probably trying to save from the attackers?

Lol, now that would be funny. Cant believe some idiot though it was a good idea to let off a firecracker in Turin mind you!

Saturday I was setting up a comms system for a half marathon on Sunday.
I had a car loaded with boxes, Aerials, cables, masts, etc. and the only thing the security guy was interested in was "that taxi stick" (magmount aerial) on the roof.

The Sunday, They were asking to check vehicles entering site. I was carrying more equipment, so was parking near the control base, that was 3 cars lengths to the left of where they stopped me. and I asked to be checked there, as the equipment was going to be removed from the car there anyway. they declined that idea.
I opened the boot, and i don't know if it was the radio call from a liveried vehicle in the queue behind me of "They checking the comms guys car, can someone bring me a coffee, its going to be a long wait" or seeing the amount of equipment.
However he decided, getting someone to check me 3 car lengths to the left was a good idea.

My wife was security checked at Chessington on Friday, after the guy looked through her bag she asked if he was going to frisk her, he said no, she said shame and walked off, guy, half her age, looked a bit sheepish but laughed, at least they had a sense of humour.

Jess has been wanting to fill her handbag full to the brim with embarrassing items (I'll leave that to your imagination here ;)), she just want's to see the look on the security faces when she opens the bag and everything falls out everywhere.

I'm sure we could come up with an entire list of embarrassing things Jess could put in her handbag. :p

When entering Towers on Saturday, I got searched for my bag which I don't believe has happened to me before there IIRC (has been at Thorpe many times though). Guy who searched my bag was friendly enough and barely took me 30 seconds and once I was done, he wished me to enjoy my day. Did also see a few coppers patrolling the park with guns which made me feel tense than safe however. I know it's to protect us and get why they're there, but it's still a bit scary.

They are probably trying to get footage of the police shooting innocent bystanders.
According to BBC News, the would be suicide attacker at Brussels Central Station was 'neutralised' by an armed officer in the building. I suspect there is merit to having armed guards, it must act as a deterrent in part - but it can 'fix' situations quickly should they arise.

I don't really have an issue with armed police. I don't think it changes my life as a law abiding citizen, really.

When I was in the US a couple of weeks ago, all corporate parks and large NYC attractions had pretty vigorous bag searches and metal detectors. Smaller parks had nothing of the sort.

Guns n' Roses at London Stadium at the weekend had bag searches, but no metal detectors. It really brought home how Manchester or something similar could happen again, quite easily.

The security within the gig was tight, but as soon as you were away from the stadium itself, huge crowds could mingle with members of the public who had not been searched. The security in the cordon was pretty good... but you couldn't get in or out of it, without walking through huge crowds made up of those who have attended the gig and those who had not.

Jess has been wanting to fill her handbag full to the brim with embarrassing items (I'll leave that to your imagination here ;)), she just want's to see the look on the security faces when she opens the bag and everything falls out everywhere.

She does know that anything electrical they may ask that she switches it on to demonstrate it works? Could be especially funny as the large lipstick works it's way across the table...

;)

My wife's bag was full of, oh how do they describe them in the shops? female hygiene products? I did feel sorry for the guy rummaging through that lot LOL

Yesterday i was back at the same place as my last post. The security team had split the entrances up. So the organisation i volunteer for had their own entrance to site, due to blue light operations.

After saying I was comms and was parking outside control building (3 car lengths to the left) to unload. I was told to park up and get checked as i off loaded.

The security company was a joy to work with.

Other then a meltdown as a result of an issue with security (now resolved), Thorpe's been awesome and has had better operations then Towers did yesterday.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Did you set the metal detectors off going in like I did last year? I literally had to remove my jacket, belt and wallet and go through the stupid thing without it going off before they'd let me in

Did you set the metal detectors off going in like I did last year? I literally had to remove my jacket, belt and wallet and go through the stupid thing without it going off before they'd let me in
Nope, in short got given the choice between leaving several hours earlier then planned or having my battery pack confiscated for good because they suspected it was a boom boom device.
After tweeting Thorpe I ended up with 2 duty managers from security searching for/following me for 30 minutes who then spoke to me (I got to go through a few staff only areas!) And after a quick phone call to someone who explained in Asperger's I ended up with an apology from the duty managers and the battery pack back.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk