• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Selected rides opening from 11:00am - Reversed

Re: Selected rides opening from 11:00am

I guess this 11am ride opening on selected rides will still apply on those days which still have 4pm ride close?

Understandable why these rides are chosen, given them being rather labour intensive to run, but it still comes across as being a bit odd that a coaster that is in its third season has been chosen for late opening.

Oh well, I feel now that I am past caring what cuts are made.

BigAl said:
Why couldn't they just do what Chessington have done with Wild Asia and Mystic East (or was it just Wild Asia?) and just close two areas for a limited time? I mean, no closures at all would be better, but Merlin are obviously having none of it.

If I had to guess, the reason for the scattergun of rides is to spread the impact of the cuts throughout the park's staff. If just one or two areas closed until 11am that would mean that just one team of people would be bearing all of the pain, whereas at least this way it's more equally spread, so everyone looses a little rather then one group loosing a lot.

Im not bothered about the majority of the rides because such as Duel and the Driving School, they never get queue's anyway. But TH13TEEN and Air is just beyond a joke.

If they are struggling so much, reduce the number of 2-4-1's.. Easy... Oh hang on, thats advertising for them and more importantly the public now wont go UNLESS they have an offer. They have shot themselves in the foot.

Things are only going to get worse. My warning bells with regards to Merlin started then they bought Tussauds and then immediately sold Thorpe, Alton and Legoland to Nick Lessau in order to reduce debt.

I also hate to say this, someone in Alton management need to grow a pair and stand up to Merlin.

I honestly dont know why I bother with Alton (and Merlin)anymore. All the magic has gone and as much as I want to love it, they Merlin AND Alton are just doing everything to destroy any love I have for the place.

The thing is, DMP are suffering too.

Merlin have implemented cuts across the division.

:(

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

siralgenon said:
Im not bothered about the majority of the rides because such as Duel and the Driving School, they never get queue's anyway. But TH13TEEN and Air is just beyond a joke.

I couldn't agree more! And I also hate the fact the closures are scattered so much. Yes I understand about the teams of staff and I do feel for them having hours (potentially) cut, but to a thrill seeker arriving at say, 9:30am without ERT privileges, that goes to Forbidden Valley, they wait until 10am to ride Nemesis, then where do they go? Skyride is closed until 11, and so is Duel, and the Rapids, and they want to go on Air and cannot nip back in time from Rita or Oblivion to get to the 11am opening (because the Skyride is closed until 11). Therefore they would have to basically just wait with hundreds of other people for Air. There is no point in going on the other FV attractions because when they return to Air, the line will be longer. What would they do?

See as much as Merlin have money each attraction has to at least balance the books and Towers is renowned for being a money-pit. The season has shown guests are not coming to parks, i think a lot of decision Merlin are making such as increasing prices havn't helped themselves but all parks are suffering.

I don't like this, i want to scream and i don't respect Merlin for it but if you take out the rollercoasters i could "live" with it.

PeteA said:
I also hate to say this, someone in Alton management need to grow a pair and stand up to Merlin.
I'd say that's a bit unfair... We've seen multiple decisions in regards to cost-cutting and each time so far they have been revoked. This is presumably because someone from Alton has stood up to Merlin and shown how the cuts cannot be accepted!

mrbrightside said:
PeteA said:
I'd say that's a bit unfair... We've seen multiple decisions in regards to cost-cutting and each time so far they have been revoked. This is presumably because someone from Alton has stood up to Merlin and shown how the cuts cannot be accepted!

No, it's when an accountant has deemed that the negative reaction to the changes will result in more income being lost by non-returns/stay aways than what would be lost by keeping the original arrangements.

As a general remark about some of the posts in this thread: I really cannot understand phrases like 'struggling' and 'needing our support'. All that is going on is PROFIT margins are down. This is a company that is attempting to make itself appealing to shareholders ahead of a stock market flotation. If they can prove that they are quick to respond to changes in cash flow by making cuts, then potential shareholders will be impressed by that.

The 'commercial imperatives' that Mr Crabbe mentions are merely requirements of keeping profit margins within tolerances and the accountants happy.

The park is not a charity or a sentient being that should be pitied, it's also far from a case of Alton Towers being suffocated by Merlin. I don't think people quite understand that Alton Towers is not a separate entity from Merlin, it is part of the group - indeed its manager's actual job title is 'divisional director' within Merlin Entertainments.

I think people have some sympathy with the middle management of Towers that have to implement these things and probably don't like it. I don't sympathies with Merlin though i recognise the industry is struggling.

I think for the time being we are just going to have to accept that there will be some sort of cuts, whether we like it or not. For one reason or another Merlin are needing their parks to save money. So from that point of view, these later ride openings aren't too bad, though it would be much better if you could swap Air and Thirteen for say Blade, Ripsaw, Submission and Enterprise.

Now, the main point and problem I have is that in my opinion the need to save money is almost unacceptable. Sure times are hard at the minute and the parks aren't doing as well this year, but Merlin never stop saying that they are second only to Disney. If this was truly the case such major cuts that affect guest experience would not be needed.

:)

Oh certainly the management at Alton are certainly not the ones to blame, I should imagine they are pretty embarrassed by the situation - as they seem to be every time something like this happens.

Merlin tho? They do more cuts daily than a butcher.

One issue I do have is Battle Galleons. I really thing that the first rides you see should be open from the word go. I think it just looks unprofessional.

:) :)

AstroDan said:
The thing is, DMP are suffering too.

:)

And why is this? Because they have increased prices by £8 in 2 years, started charging for car parking at £3 and also started offering 2-4-1's on the website. People are now waiting to see an offer before they go. This is the problem with offering discounted entry.

mrbrightside said:
PeteA said:

I really do stand by this, I have spoken to team leaders and some managers at various Merlin parks and when questioned about cuts / strange decisions all they have done is shrug their shoulders and basically agreed that its wrong, but they cant do anything and just accept it. That is the wrong attitude...

Rob said:
Now, the main point and problem I have is that in my opinion the need to save money is almost unacceptable. Sure times are hard at the minute and the parks aren't doing as well this year, but Merlin never stop saying that they are second only to Disney. If this was truly the case such major cuts that affect guest experience would not be needed.

The trouble is though, look at the major expansion program that has happened to make them second to Disney. That kind of borrowing and investment comes at a price - massive repayments to banks and investors!

Just because your the biggest at somthing, doesn't make you the most profitable! We've seen some of the UK's biggest retailers disappear because their finances weren't in order and the books didn't balance. I'm not saying that the kind of state Merlin are in, but there is massive pressure for the company to perform well.

However, as I've mentioned in another topic, I think the type of cuts that are happening (i.e ones which impact on guest experience) boil down to the inexperience of management making decissions at Alton Towers.

It's a cracking point Pete. I won't go to Drayton and haven't unless there's been an offer on. Or a Tosco (Lidl round the back of the colosseo) Clubcard deal on.

One whiff of a voucher and it immediately puts me off ever visiting at full price so I imagine it's the same with many people.

Well, that sucks.

They are reaping what they have sowed. Their money saving and grabbing ways over the last few years are sitting in the backs of the minds of previous visitors, they've been left with bitter taste. Why would they go back? And this sort of stuff will only leave even more people thinking not to bother next year and the spiral continues. Sad.

Im not actually gonna moan to Alton Towers/Merlin on this one since I think it's the most sensible decision out of all of the others they've made in the past, and it's now obvious that they need to make cuts from somewhere.

But I do agree with other people that I think that they should of just closed an area (Dark Forest or X-Sector) instead of different rides spread all over the park. Air is a big shock to me to be in this later opening line up, especially since it's one of the most popular rides. I just hope they don't add more rides to this later opening line-up!

Two things are interesting about this actually...

Firstly, this is almost the reverse backlash for not being able to close at 4pm - instead, some headline attractions are opening at 11am. Secondly, why they didn't simply close X Sector for the hour (saving 2 hours on Blivvy as it would be removed from ERT) is strange considering the original plan before the start of the season which would have seen Ents and Subs SBNO all year!

Just to add, here is the full list as one ride was missed off earlier. The following rides open at 11:00am from Monday, 18th June:

Air
Duel
Congo River Rapids
The Flume
Battle Galleons
Skyride
Driving School
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Th13teen
Wobble World (unsure on exact hours, but it won't be open all day)

It really is quite a list, compared to the cuts at Thorpe Park and CWOA!