• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Should Maths and English be made compulsory past GCSE level?

Should Maths and English be mandatory past GCSE level?

• Total voters
Degrees have a lot less weight behind them than they used too. Ever since staying in further education became the default option after completing GCSEs and A Levels the claim that taking these to show you have drive and a commitment to learn has all but vanished. I remember really struggling to find work the year after I graduated because I was overqualified for the basic jobs and lacking experience for the jobs I studied for. I was about 5 years into my career before my degree became relevant.
That's why I recommend higher education but also to get some real working experience alongside it. The work will get your foot in the door. and I guess that's why people who took the educational route now wish they were taught more 'real world' skills at school as well.

To be fair I never went to uni came out with straight A's at A level.

I went to get some work experience, then started doing a degree with the company I am still with. Various promotions later I have experience and a degree with no student debt. Certainly believe its a good route to take if you find the right company

I haven't really used anything learnt at GCSE, let alone A Level in work and I deal with some decent kit. I don't see the point in forcing people to carry 2 subjects they don't want past 16 for barely any reason. I got a C in English and a B in Maths GCSE. That'll do.