Single Rider Queues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benjsh, 3rd Mar 2018.

1. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

It wasn’t abused. It’s just Alton Towers lying to guests yet again in order to try and cover up the cuts made to the guest experience.

BarryZola, Sauron97, RoyJess and 6 others like this.
  2. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

Just shows the contempt the park has for its visiting guests when it accuses them of abusing the system, when in reality it is the park itself that is just cost cutting and generating fastrack sales
    But this is nothing new that we all don't already know so .. :(

3. PhantaDad2017

PhantaDad2017 TowersStreet Member

"Abuse" of SRQ sounds like a ludicrous argument. In other parks, Phantasialand as an example I know, one can't abuse them: the SRQ is blocked initially, and ride operators let the others enter first, then open the SRQ to place single riders in the remaining, empty seats. If a group enters SRQ and wants to ride together: bad luck, ride alone or get back to the regular queue (the end, not in front)! Didn't they do the same at AT?

In addition, they use SRQ to mitigate the offensive class hierarchy of parallel regular and quick pass queues a bit, by opening the priority queue for single riders (quick pass push in front later).

To me, it sounds more like removing SRQ is part of a strategy to aggressively push fast track "upgrades", Port Aventura style. Which includes letting rides operate partially empty, while queues are building up.

RoyJess, Skyscraper, DiogoJ42 and 3 others like this.
  4. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I do not believe AT anticipated more people buying fastrack as a result of SRQs closing, let alone that being a contributory factor in them doing so.

5. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    I wonder if it is more abuse to staff from abusers of SRQ.
    The one that use it as a free fastrack, don't half get rude when the rule is enforced by staff.

What they need to do is have signs explaining SRQ and stating that they have a zero tolerance to abuse to staff and offenders will be removed from site.

Although i can understand SRQ closures on key weekends where alcohol is not served.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Skyscraper likes this.
  6. PhantaDad2017

These lies sometimes sound almost Orwellian: On TripAdvisor, public relations speakers of Heide Park, Merlin's German theme park, seriously claim that their extra paid virtual queue devices, there named "Express Butler", do not increase wait times for other guests. They made several of these prefab text responses to reviews, critical of the priority queue systems. In the basic version, these devices allow virtual queuing, while using other attractions, thus doubling attraction usage. The more expensive versions cut the virtual queue time by half to 90%, ending in a "platinum" version with unlimited fast access, similar to AT.

7. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

End of SRQ = lower staffing costs on a few rides + more fastrack sales. End of story.

The loss of SRQ is also the main reason why I have not renewed my pass for this season.

8. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

So because of absuse on one ride they remove it from all the others? Doesn't make much sense to me. Really they should be looking to give guests the best day possible and that means getting on the rides they want with as minimal queuing as possible. Single rider worked great on some of these rides. Personally I agree with others in thinking it was removed to lower the number of staff working on the ride rather than from customer abuse.

RoyJess and PhantaDad2017 like this.
  9. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    I once had a jobsworth host on Nemesis tell me I was not allowed to use single rider more than once per ride, per day. Make of that what you will.

RoyJess, rob666, ringo and 1 other person like this.
  10. spinba11

spinba11 TowersStreet Member

You what?

11. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Was quite a few years ago now. I was going round the SRQ constantly for a good half hour before he refused me entry.

12. PhantaDad2017

Maybe he confused it with fast track himself. Except there had been some kind of stamping for SRQ access, which obviously wasn't there. Maybe he turned abusive himself.

SRQ as a free fast track is perfectly legitimate, because they don't take away other visitors' rides. It's only not guaranteed to be faster, if many decide to ride alone, or if there are not enough empty seats remaining.

13. Croftybaby

Croftybaby TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Single rider is all about efficiency. More productivity for the rides operation, a more productive day out for the guests. So far this season it's been clear that efficiency isn't a word widely used at towers so it's no surprise that they are frowning on SRQ's

RoyJess, DiogoJ42 and Poopoohead like this.
  14. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    Signs cost money, however. ;)

15. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    Yeah, but they can surely get a job lot of them done from Leek Signs. ;)

Skyscraper likes this.
  16. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    They got a good number for fastrack market........oh never mind :D

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

17. Croftybaby

Croftybaby TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    They Just Need. "Single Riders Only. Your Group WILL be split up"

Well.. They don't now. They need "BUY FASTRACK TODAY"

18. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

They had signs though?

Like most things at the park(s) it had a stigma attached to it about being free Fastrack and I've seen plenty of people (even internationally) kick off about not being allowed to ride together...

Removing it just to reduce one thing and force those who would normally use it to either suck it up or buy Fastrack...

19. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    When I made the signs costing money comment, my tongue was placed firmly inside my cheek.

RoyJess and JackFitzy like this.
  20. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    On the Smiler, removing the SRQ and the baggage hold has created another problem... all those guests queuing up the stairs are now defacing the wall :rolleyes: