Six Flags Great Adventure: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Rob, 30th May 2014.

1. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    As one of Six Flags flagship parks (awful pun not at all intentional!) I think it deserves a topic of its own rather than being discussed in the Six Flags General Discussion topic. As we know they are getting Zumanjaro Drop of Doom on the side of Kingda Ka this year. However rumours are reveloping regarding a new coaster for 2015:

Great Adventure is definitely due a new coaster; their last brand new coaster was way back in 2008 and that was only a Mack Wild Mouse. They got Green Lantern (B&M Stand-Up) in 2011 but that was only a re-location of Chang. They have also lost a coaster this year following the removal of Rolling Thunder. So a new coaster for 2015 is surely on the cards.

Then RMC also seems to make sense. Six Flags clearly have a good relationship with them and are quite possibly buying them in 'bulk' with some discounts. They have two new ones opening this year. Six Flags parks seem to have had a very structured and cycled investment programme over the last fews years with similar rides being installed into their parks. Thrill coasters seem to be mainly either RMC or Premier.

This should be interesting to follow, we know RMC are capable of some quite crazy layouts!

:)

Posted 30th May 2014
  2. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    First of all the good news; Zumanjaro is open at last! Bad new, the new operations of both it and Kingda Ka are now something that Merlin would be proud of:
    What a joke! The throughputs of both rides must be dire because of this. Kingda Ka is already extremely popular and Zumanjaro will probably be too.

Posted 8th Jul 2014
  3. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Was this thought up by the same moron who told Towers to encase half of Dark Forest in scaffolding?

Posted 8th Jul 2014
  4. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    I like it how they've left it until the very last minute. Surely, if they wouldn't have built Zumanjaro if it operates like this?! It's idiotic.

Posted 9th Jul 2014
  5. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Apparently the state's decision is somewhat justified as the area where Zumanjaro is has always been a loose articles grave yard for those that have fallen from Kingda Ka riders. So it's potentially a stupid place to put a drop tower.

Also the operations of Zumanjaro are not really effected as it turns out they are actually allowed to load it when Kingda Ka is launching. The time it takes to load, check restraints etc is pretty much the same as it takes for Kingda Ka to launch twice so the impact is minimal. It is Kingda Ka that is suffering the most.

Posted 9th Jul 2014
  6. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

If that's the case it seems like a really backwards reasoning behind the changes. They allow people to be loaded along with staff in the area at the furthest point from the top of Kingda Ka when objects have the furthest to fall, yet won't allow the drop tower to be hoisted up when Kingda Ka is running? As for items being thrown out on launch, that seems a little far fetched considering other accelerators have never had issues, and you're hardly going to be able to throw anything on launch anyway!

Seems a shame this sort of thing wasn't all done with prior to the ride opening though, the possibility for falling objects was something that struck me as an issue when it first was announced.

Posted 10th Jul 2014
  7. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

There is a retractable roof above the loading area, so protects riders while loading. Once loaded they hit dispatch and as soon as kingda ka has cleared the tower the roof retracts and ride starts.

The roof was reason for delay in the ride opening.

Craig likes this.
    Posted 10th Jul 2014
  8. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    It's something they really should have considered during the planning stages. Putting a huge drop tower on to Kingda Ka may have seemed like a great idea and it's obviously been possible, but they really should have forseen the potential for these operational flaws. It is far from ideal, especially as Kingda Ka is possibly the most popular ride in the park. I hope they are working on some form of long term solution.

Posted 10th Jul 2014
  9. Sazzle

Sazzle TS Administrator Team Member

Wow. Sounds like a British H&S gone made situation! My personal feeling is to encase the Kingda Ka trains completely to prevent the objects being thrown out, and then wrap up the Zumanjaro riders in bubble wrap with protective head gear.

BOOM.

On a serious note, had the park known about this during planning, I imagine they'd have scrapped or seriously reconsidered the project. To reduce the running capacity of such a high profile coaster like this is not really a great way to build public relations with your guests :/. Unlucky!

DiogoJ42 likes this.
    Posted 13th Jul 2014
  10. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Screamscape have posted a rumour regarding a potential 2016 coaster:
    Interesting. I would certainaly say that Great Adventure are due a new coaster in 2016, it has been quite a while. With El Toro an RMC wouldn't be quite right so the idea of a new B&M is an exciting prospect.

Posted 5th May 2015
  11. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Six Flags Day is still a little while off but we are well into Six Flaga rumour season. Great Adventure have given us the biggest indication yet of what they are looking into getting next year, as reported by Screamscape:
    I really hope they don't go for this! Although it is something different to what the park currently has to offer I feel that, as such major coaster park, they are due a bigger thrill machine!

Posted 9th Jun 2015
  12. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I thought S&S Free Fly and 4Ds were completely different rides. The 4D Free Spin is what the other Six Flags has. The Free Fly would mean this:

[​IMG]

But I'm sure that's not what they meant.

Posted 9th Jun 2015
  13. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    It may be a case of confusing wording, here is exactly what the survey states:

[​IMG]

Although saying that, this is the 4D Free Spin on the S&S website.

Screamscape have provided a further update on this:

14. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    As expected, Six Flags Great Adventure are getting a new S&S 4D Freespin in 2016 with the quite awful name of Total Mayhem.

[​IMG]

When you see what other Six Flags parks have got in recent years then I can't help but feel Great Adventure deserves so much more. Yes it already has a world class coaster line up but so did Magic Mountain and look what they've had in the last few years.

I suppose the positive is that it is a long overdue new coaster that is different to other coasters in the park.

Posted 3rd Sep 2015
  15. Sammy

Sammy TS Site Team Team Member

In an update to this, Six Flags have tweeted this morning:

@SFGrAdventure: #THEJOKER is wreaking #totalmayhem @sfgradventure & has taken over our new #coaster for 2016! Who's ready?

[​IMG]

This was rumoured last week, reported by an enthusiast to Screamscape who had seen purple and green track at Great Adventure. Now confirmed by Six Flags, Total Mayhem has a new name an colour scheme!

16. Jordan

Jordan TS Contributor

Still a terrible coaster!

Sammy likes this.
  17. TheMan

TheMan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    NemiLerVion
    Hideous.

18. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    It is Six Flags Day again, and one of the more interesting of a fairly boring list of announcements is that Six Flags Great Adventure will be getting an ABC Tourbillon called CYBORG Cyber Spin:

These have always looked quite good so it is pleasing to see them making an appearance in major parks. Six Flags Over Texas are also due to get one of these.

19. Danny

Danny TPWW's no.1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Their announcements just seem to get blander as each year goes by.

20. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

Nah, this year definitely tops last year when we only got S&S 4Ds for coasters, I'm dissapointed there are no Justice League dark rides this year, they are great!