• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Smartphone or tablet; which mobile device type do you prefer?

Smartphone or tablet; which mobile device type do you prefer?

• Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• None; I don’t have any smart mobile devices

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Shambhala (PortAventura Park)
Hi guys. In recent years, smart mobile devices have taken over our world, with phones and tablets becoming hugely more prolific in the last 10-15 years since the dawn of the iPhone, iPad and similar Android equivalents like the Samsung Galaxy family of devices. These devices are hugely common, and these days, most people own one (when I did internet research on the matter for the introduction to my dissertation, the internet suggested that 94% of Brits owned a smartphone in 2022, and that statistic was smartphones only rather than all smart devices). But smartphones and tablets are two very distinct types of device, so I’d be intrigued to know; which do you prefer? Are you a smartphone person, or are tablets more your speed? And out of interest, I’d also be interested to know; what device are you currently using, if you don’t mind saying? Apple vs Android is always a contentious debate, so I’d be intrigued to know where people lie on this.

In terms of my own answer; I’m definitely a tablet person myself. I have a phone and an iPad, and while I use my iPad a lot, I don’t find myself using my phone much unless I’m going out or have a very specific reason to use it. Certainly, the vast bulk of my everyday browsing and internet usage is done on my iPad; I just much prefer the bigger screen size. I sometimes find my phone quite small to type on, whereas I find my iPad comfortable to type on and I like seeing things on the bigger display!

In terms of the devices I currently have; my phone is an iPhone SE 2nd generation that I’ve had since 2021, while my tablet is an iPad Air 3rd generation that I’ve had since 2020. I’m definitely an Apple person over an Android person when it comes to mobile devices, although perhaps less staunchly enthusiastic about Apple products than I once was. I couldn’t be without an iPad, though; if mine broke, I’d definitely be willing to splash the cash (within reason) on a new one given how much I use my iPad and like it. I’m not sure I could say the same about my phone; I would probably buy a new iPhone if mine broke, as I do find it useful to have when I go out, but I definitely wouldn’t buy above the very cheapest iPhone SE range given how relatively little I use it other than when I have to.

But I’d be keen to know; do you prefer a smartphone or a tablet out of the common types of mobile device? Or do you prefer something different entirely, such as an iPod Touch? Or do you not subscribe to mobile devices at all?