• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Smiler NOT OPENING Meet PART ONE - Thursday 23rd May

Re: Smiler Meet PART ONE - Thursday 23rd May

Seems like I'll be able to get 4 hours on park :) Hoping to come straight after my exam. What time I arrive depends whether I have to go to SEN and get my exam checked over.

Cheese said:
AshleeKel said:
I know I've already mentioned this, but I'm really desparate now - is anyone able to pick me up from Stoke station on thursday? I can be there for about 7:50.

Anyone? Please?

I should be going through Stoke at about 7:15 if you're able to get there any earlier. Sorry if not. :(

The VERY earliest would be 7:50. If your willing to wait I could give you some extra money's for your trouble...

AshleeKel said:
Cheese said:
AshleeKel said:
I know I've already mentioned this, but I'm really desparate now - is anyone able to pick me up from Stoke station on thursday? I can be there for about 7:50.

Anyone? Please?

I should be going through Stoke at about 7:15 if you're able to get there any earlier. Sorry if not. :(

The VERY earliest would be 7:50. If your willing to wait I could give you some extra money's for your trouble...

I don't usually go this way Ashlee especially early morning & I am also not exactly feeling great so not entirely sure I will get there.

All that being said, I don't want anyone to miss out so if I you run out of ideas, I will take a different route and be your back up plan, and you can avoid my cold by sitting in the back with the air con on pmsl!

(I have to add, I am not 100% certain to be going - my plan has always been to go though).

If you need me Ashlee I can keep you updated by phone if needs be.

Not sure if its true, but Towers Almanac are posting on Twitter that The Smiler may not be ready for tomorrow. Personally I cannot see them keeping it shut, even if it means running it on a low capacity and putting signs up saying they are experiencing frequent problems with the ride. A bit like they did with Air on its first year.

Confirmed closed tomorrow - and judging by the non-committal FAQs regarding the weekend, it may not even be ready Saturday :(

In light of today's announcement, who is still going? I've made the arrangements to get there so I'll still be at Alton tomorrow.

May as-well take me off the list :(

I would still go, but fear the park will be awfully busy as the advert was aired saying the smiler would be open tomorrow! not everyone follows AT on twitter or FB & will have booked tickets in advance.

Very busy + angry public + no smiler = bad day in my reckoning.

I doubt I shall be in attendance.

There will still be a number of us on park tomorrow due to booking time off work/travel etc. If you're no longer attending, please post in the who's going topic rather than in here and we can remove you from the list - thanks :)

I hate towers after booking a day off I'm going to Drayton manor, but I should be there for 9 with the smiler not opening

AshleeKel said:

Anyone? Please?

You could always wait and get the 9.27 Alton Towers bus from Stoke station.

:)

One of the best days at towers for a long time and it was a Thursday :)

Today's meet was... interesting...

We spent most of ERT amongst the many other enthusiasts due to show up (i.e. Sanbrooke) watching people's reactions to the ride still under 'construction' and generally laughing at the entire situation. Considering how the site team were still putting up, welding and painting fences, installing a phone box, painting footers etc, there was blatantly going to be no way the ride would open today. If The Smiler did open and was entirely completed inc. H&S check, then the weather would've horrible for it as it switched between plain cold, rain spells and sun ridiculously quickly!

Overall, due to the rain being displeasing and the fact I'm back on Saturday ergo ride laziness, I only did 6 rides (re-rode Hex, bonus!) but as far as I'm aware, an hour must have at least been spent watching The Smiler's ride area with almost 20 minutes dedicated to finding that washing machine image on The Marmaliser.

That's literally the sum up of my day at least!