• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Smiler vs Nemesis

Smiler or Nemesis

• Smiler

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Nemesis

Votes: 103 89.6%

• Total voters
Did you forget the bit where The Smiler slams into a break run and just sits there for a good 10-30 seconds?

Dead spots... Honestly. I think you've ridden The Smiler one too many times, all of that bashing about has clearly messed up your poor head. šŸ˜‰
I think that works in the smilers favour some people already find it too much and imagine if it wasn't for the 2nd lift hill it would be 13 inversions flat out, however I can't say nemesis has any dead spots, the pacing on nemesis is awesome and every element provides good forces and whip to it that most modern b&m's will not have.

Did you forget the bit where The Smiler slams into a break run and just sits there for a good 10-30 seconds?

Dead spots... Honestly. I think you've ridden The Smiler one too many times, all of that bashing about has clearly messed up your poor head. šŸ˜‰
That turn after the vertical loop is the definition of a dead spot. Completely slows the pacing of the ride down

I wouldnā€™t say I rate the ride as highly as most, but it does have to be Nemesis for me. Itā€™s fast, itā€™s intense, itā€™s not too rough (the original Nemesis got a little rougher towards the end of its life, but it was never horrifically rough by any stretch of the imagination), there are some great elements on there; whatā€™s not to like? Others have said plenty about Nemesis, so I donā€™t think Iā€™ve got a whole lot more to add to those comments. It places 3rd among Altonā€™s big 7 for me.

Looking at the thread, it would appear that my opinion on The Smiler falls roughly in the middle of the range showed here.

I donā€™t hate Smiler as much as some, but I equally donā€™t love it nearly as much as others. Itā€™s not a bad ride by any stretch, but itā€™s certainly not one of my absolute favourite coasters either. It ranks 6th among Altonā€™s big 7 for me.

It has some good moments, with the second airtime hill being a particular highlight for me, and it has an interesting layout. When itā€™s running smoothly and not too nauseatingly, it can be a really good ride.

Howeverā€¦ itā€™s too inconsistent for it to even be in the same conversation as Nemesis for me. It can run rough, and sometimes, I can find the repeated back-to-back inversions to provide a somewhat nauseating flat ride-style sensation that Iā€™m not huge on.

On my most recent visit in March, it wasnā€™t running too badly, in fairness. However, it was still pretty inconsistent; I had one great front row ride that was smooth, fast, floaty, and not nauseating at all, but I also had a back row ride that was rougher and more nauseating.

In the recent past, Iā€™ve had rides on Smiler that have been really pretty rough and rather nauseating. A particular nadir was the ride where the restraint somehow managed to whack me right in the crotch during the cobra roll jolt, and I walked off in considerable painā€¦

I suspect the results might be a bit closer for day trippers rather than the enthusiasts and repeat attendees that frequent this message board.

The Smiler definitely has an aura about it, and some of my more casual friends, the sort who go once a year or so always make it a must-ride, usually their first of the day. Me personally, if I go a visit without riding it I never feel like Iā€™ve missed out. Itā€™s great to look at though, well when itā€™s not covered in grime.

I suspect the results might be a bit closer for day trippers rather than the enthusiasts and repeat attendees that frequent this message board.

The Smiler definitely has an aura about it, and some of my more casual friends, the sort who go once a year or so always make it a must-ride, usually their first of the day. Me personally, if I go a visit without riding it I never feel like Iā€™ve missed out. Itā€™s great to look at though, well when itā€™s not covered in grime.
I agree I think weā€™re seeing enthusiast biased here. Itā€™s no secret that a lot of enthusiasts prefer Nemesis so the poll doesnā€™t surprise me

Big difference between riding it once a year and once a week. You would soon find out what is the better ride.

I could quite easily not go on it, or any of its sister rides ever again.

Now other B and M inverts I could ride all day, itā€™s just a better ā€œtypeā€ of coaster.

Right The Smiler...
you have to survive the zoo underneath the ride to get on even then you have to survive 2 minutes of head bashing to get to the best moment of the ride aka the second airtime hill in a ride full of inversions the irony! i do enjoy smiler when its smooth so never really, nemesis is a whole rounded better ride imo every element has a purpose really good pacing and the forces are brilliant all the way through and normally no queue and it hasn't got a zoo underneath!, there is no comparison between the two. from reading your other posts Ethan it seems to me you think that everyone else thinks the way you do which isn't true, your logic sounds like bigger ride = better ride.

That turn after the vertical loop is the definition of a dead spot. Completely slows the pacing of the ride down

I would argue itā€™s a pause between two intense elements rather than a dead spot.

The turn on Wickerman is a dead spot.

I donā€™t actually think Smiler has any dead spots, the pause before lifthill 2 does add to the anticipation. Particularly as a lot of people find vertical lift hills intimidating.

See how can you like Saw but not that bothered about Smiler
I never said I didn't like the Smiler. I prefer Saw more and Nemesis more than the pair of them. As above, they're different coasters. Last time I checked anyway.

Last edited:
I never said I didn't like the Smiler. I prefer Saw more and Nemesis more than the pair of them. As above, they're different coasters. Last time I checked anyway.
Well itā€™s good to see someone appreciates Saw. Very underrated ride imo love the way it throws you around. Maybe thatā€™s why I enjoy Smiler more than others because itā€™s a bit more violent than a smooth ride like Nemesis

There's slowing down the placing of a ride and then there's coming to a stop. A literal stop. A dead stop half way through a ride and waiting an eternity. šŸ›‘

There's slowing down the placing of a ride and then there's coming to a stop. A literal stop. A dead stop half way through a ride and waiting an eternity. šŸ›‘
Gives riders a break before another batch of inversions. Most people couldnā€™t do 13 inversions in one go so it makes sense to have that stop

Nemesis all day if I had to choose.

Iā€™m starting to appreciate The Smiler more though since Iā€™ve started purposely sitting up as straight as I can when the ride op pushes down the restraint then relax back once dispatched for a more comfortable looser ride experience.

Gives riders a break before another batch of inversions. Most people couldnā€™t do 13 inversions in one go so it makes sense to have that stop
I'm afraid you're wrong. It's entirely because they couldn't get a lift hill in large enough for 13 inversions, so they split it in two. The ride has to slam into a break run and it stops. Just stops. Sits there. Idle. Dead. A literal dead spot. In fact, it's the longest dead spot of any coaster at Alton Towers.

If you can handle 10 in one go, what's another 3?