• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Smiler vs Nemesis

Smiler or Nemesis

• Smiler

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Nemesis

Votes: 103 89.6%

• Total voters
I'm afraid you're wrong. It's entirely because they couldn't get a lift hill in large enough for 13 inversions, so they split it in two. The ride has to slam into a break run and it stops. Just stops. Sits there. Idle. Dead. A literal dead spot. In fact, it's the longest dead spot of any coaster at Alton Towers.

If you can handle 10 in one go, what's another 3?
I appreciate they had a 2nd lift hill because the ride wouldn’t sustain its kinetic energy. But my point was the lift hill probably turned out to be a nice breather for a lot of people

I'm afraid you're wrong. It's entirely because they couldn't get a lift hill in large enough for 13 inversions, so they split it in two. The ride has to slam into a break run and it stops. Just stops. Sits there. Idle. Dead. A literal dead spot. In fact, it's the longest dead spot of any coaster at Alton Towers.

If you can handle 10 in one go, what's another 3?
Yes I think Wardley mentioned this in an interview at some point and said they'd never be able to build tall enough to get it through the 14 inversions. So they split the ride in two and it still struggles through them...

I think it's quite telling that even after ten years no one has bothered to build a 15 inversion coaster....because they realise it's probably not going to make a great rollercoaster

I take back my previous opinion of it being a landslide in favor of Nemesis. I was wrong. I apologise.

It is looking more like a....
1000028976.jpg

I think we’ve gone beyond that…

earth asteroid GIF

There’s a feeling I get on Nemesis dropping off that lift hill and into the first corkscrew, it’s just so unique and magical it can’t be explained. The Smiler just doesn’t do that to me, my favourite part about cresting the lift hills on The Smiler is the views of the towers and beyond… not the layout that follows. One thing I will say for The Smiler, it has an amazing pre lift section.

Simple answer...

Nemesis is a good coaster.
Smiler is a rubbish coaster.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I like both coasters similar to the fact there both unique in there own right

Nemesis like what else could you fit in the pit!!!

Smiler maxing out at tree top level and sticking that many inversions in that space is just insane!!!!

ride wise nemesis has it's spots where it just lacks something don't know what just does (hopefully that's filled in with the new 2.0 version)

smiler that back section is just abuse, like a steel and way shorter version of the ultimate!!! (Rip)

but other than that there both masterpiece's of engineering
😁

Nostalgia wins out.

Nemesis is a great example of using the limitations of park planning to improve the ride. And definitely up there in terms of "coasters I could sit on all day if I wanted".

Smiler is not these things. Though I do aim to ride it at least once per visit because it is certainly unique (in good and bad ways). In terms of hard thrills it is a better ride, however the overall experience lacks the same level of care and quality delivered by Nemesis.

Yeah it's Nemesis.

Tbf whenever I do ride The Smiler it's always a lot better than expected, in fact it's really fun. The issue is that I very rarely ride it due to how vile the queueing experience is. If it's more than 30 mins I won't bother.

Nostalgia wins out.

Nemesis is a great example of using the limitations of park planning to improve the ride. And definitely up there in terms of "coasters I could sit on all day if I wanted".

Smiler is not these things. Though I do aim to ride it at least once per visit because it is certainly unique (in good and bad ways). In terms of hard thrills it is a better ride, however the overall experience lacks the same level of care and quality delivered by Nemesis.
You know what I agree with this. I see Nemesis as the better experience but to me the out of control feeling smiler has is just great. That’s what I love about Saw too it throws you around so much it’s hilarious

You know what I agree with this. I see Nemesis as the better experience but to me the out of control feeling smiler has is just great. That’s what I love about Saw too it throws you around so much it’s hilarious
Ask the question about Saw again when you are nearly 40 and you may have a different outlook on the subject.

Ask the question about Saw again when you are nearly 40 and you may have a different outlook on the subject.
I think height plays into it at times too. I’m 6ft and find I can position my head away from the restraints easy enough to reduce any head banging. But my mother who is shorter really struggles to ride The Smiler and Saw as her head just becomes a pinball in between the otsr.

I'm 41 and I still enjoy Saw. But point taken, the last few years I can't do it like I used to. I can rarely lap coasters anymore and need time to recover after each one. The pain that Saw delivers now means there is a limit. It actually worries me as riding coasters is something I love doing, yet my tolerances recently for doing so seem to be diminishing. Takes me a while to get over a some particular coasters now, The Smiler being one of them.

As legendary a ride Nemesis is what exactly could they replace it with anyway. Not like they had the option to remove it
I’m pretty sure they actually considered it, I recall it being mentioned in a Q&A I attended, but it was quickly u turned on. As you say it’s limited layout wise as to what exactly would have gone in its place without some changes to the typography of the site, but I’m sure plenty of manufacturers would have jumped at the opportunity to give it a go.

I do enjoy The Smiler but what sets it below for me compared to Nemesis is:

1. The vomit smell restraints.
  2. The hit or miss rough rides that make re-ride ability unappealing.
  3. The concrete pit of hell, covered in green and grime.
  4. The queue line - if it’s a busy day it’s an unpleasant queue and the cattlepen design is poor, the queue could/should be designed differently.
  5. The station building - An ugly concrete block. The interior is dilapidated and plainly/cheaply themed.
  6. The Marmaliser - So much potential to be a huge amazing piece of theming, done very cheaply. The screen is great though.
There are probably other issues I have with the ride I can’t think of right now. For me, it has so many shortcomings, but it did have the potential to trump Nemesis in every way possible. If it weren’t for the disastrous construction and poor theming execution, maybe things would have been different.

To be a little positive, I love the concept of The Smiler, and while the ride is rough, it can be a lot of fun. The half way stop doesn’t bother me as a lot of guests fear the vertical lift so that can gain some funny reactions. I think as well for so much track to be designed to fit in such a tight space, it’s an amazing piece of design.

Overall though, the negatives outdo the positives, and I think its days are numbered.

Nemesis, well it’s Nemesis, a classic, a legend. It will outlive The Smiler by a mile.

Nemesis for me too.

I do like the Smiler (I find it not too rough besides the last couple of inversions where there's that jolt). If it were to receive any sort of track work then just sorting that bit out would do it for me. I'd be interested to see how it rides with lap bars, as it doesn't have the lazy 5-in-a-row that Sik has I don't think it'd be that bad on the thighs and would remove all the head bashing - and remove the disgusting smelling pads that you struggle to keep your face from touching for the entire ride.

The queueline doesn't bother me that much as I usually go Single Rider, although on the occasion I have been in the full queue for an hour it's not the most pleasant. However being so close to the track passing above is nice I suppose.

I like or dislike riding a coaster based on how it rides rather than the theming or, for example, if the station building has had a million quid of Universal Rockwork thrown at it, or just concrete blocks. When ranking coasters, the ride comes first and then if the theming has had an impact and made it a better ride, that may help pick a final position.

I'm a fan of SAW but that's probably more to do with the theming than the coaster (although it fits the theme that one of Jigsaw's devices is going to be rough). Yes I know I just said I don't pick coasters based on theme but, well, it's my favourite horror film franchise.

Eh! Nothing wrong with a Skoda. I have an Octavia VRS. Absolutely amazing car and I will have a other when I'm done with this one. They aren't like the Skodas of old.

I get your point though. ;)

Even a new Skoda, great cars I agree, Bentley it is not though.
But yeah the joke was aimed more at the Skoda's of old, B&M are some exquisite pieces of engineering.

The Smiler.
1707926724440.png

Nemesis.
1707926773591.png

Last edited: