• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sochi Park: brand new Russian park, 2014, inc. Blue Fire clone

Screamscape said:
Park News - (2/10/14) According to the latest article from ParkWorld, Sochi Park will not only open during the Winter Olympic games as hoped, but apparently it wont be ready to open at all until sometime between May and June.
(2/6/14) With the Winter Olympics from Sochi ready to open to the world on Friday night and the nearby Sochi Park said to be planning to open the following day… I feel I must issue a warning at this time.

Oops, another victory for Russia with the Winter Olympics! #SochiProblems

Wow. That's an impressive miss of a deadline! Smells a bit like a The Smiler...!

That is truly a monumental cock-up.

They build a decent looking theme park, with some great looking coasters, and it fails to open for the Winter Olympics.

Ouch.

But the gulag is full with all the people involved in the epic fail of the rings.

I still think it's intentionally not ready yet, to cover up the fact they ordered a coaster that can't operate below 5'C for the winter Olympics.

The weather in Sochi currently isn't that cold though, average is 10+ doesn't drop below 5 degrees even during the night, according to the forecast.

DiogoJ42 said:
But the gulag is full with all the people involved in the epic fail of the rings.

I still think it's intentionally not ready yet, to cover up the fact they ordered a coaster that can't operate below 5'C for the winter Olympics.

Blue Fire can run in 3C+.

:)

Really? I tought it was 5.
Oh, well, you of all people would know. ;) I'll see myself out...

Screamscape said:
Park News - (2/26/14) A video report has been posted on USA Today showing off the unopened Sochi Park… where they actually name the park’s coasters. Forgive my phonetic spelling but they refer to the Mack made launched coaster as the “Grenish” instead of Dragon, but do still name the Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang as Quantum Leap. They do show footage of people in the park, as it is sort of “soft open” along with a couple of family rides.

So happy that this park is fail. Though 'Quantum Leap' is a pretty cool name for a GIB.

Why is it referring to rides at the park as "biggest in Europe"?

Neither ride is anywhere near the biggest in Europe.

Both great coasters, but both clones and some way under the heights of The Big One, Shambhala, Silver Star and Stealth!

:)

Theyve clearly been borrowing marketing from Mandyland.

DiogoJ42 said:
Sam said:
So happy that this park is fail.

Why? (and you say I am unneccessarily negative?)

Because it is part of the general Olympic development, designed by the thuggish and deplorable Russian government as a huge PR stunt to distract from their appalling human rights record and anti-democratic power grab in the Kremlin.

Not to mention the thousands of young people being beaten up, raped, kidnapped or killed across Russia every week just for being gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, a direct consequence of homophobic rhetoric and legislation from the Kremlin.

The decision to give the games to Sochi was deplorable, and anything that goes wrong with them is good news as far as any LGBT people are concerned. Mack and Vekoma should also think a bit harder before taking job from just anybody.

I agree with every single point you just made. But I don't see how depriving people of the chance to go on clones of great coasters closer to their home will change any of it. Hell, going to that park could be the only happy thing some of the locals ever get to do.

Any park failing is a bad thing, nomatter where it is. Even when I say that certain parks are beyond saving, and may as well close down, that doesn't mean I would take pleasure from it happening.

I would usually agree. I would agree if these were just in a new park in Russia, unconnected to the Olympics. However, even if this park is privately run, it's part of the Olympic park development which is being directly controlled by the Russian government.

Therefore ostensibly the park is of direct benefit to the Russian government, and plays into their attempts to distract from their appalling behaviour with a big, glossy event and Olympic Park, spending money on rollercoasters that should be being spent on the millions of Russian poor.

New promo video from Sochi Park's Website.
Still don't know if the park is now fully open, haven't seen any train for the Yellow Fire (or whatever its name is, I can't get used to this colours) running on any video. But the Giant Inverted Boomerang seems to be open.