• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Social Media

Social media….pffft

It generally is about attention seeking knobs trying to make themselves look better trying to portray a perfect life when we all know deep down they are broken individuals

I do have Reddit, Discord (both of those I barely use, perhaps once a week) and a Youtube channel but I haven't got any other social media apps because they simply do not interest me. I definitely prefer forums to social media.

I do have Reddit, Discord (both of those I barely use, perhaps once a week) and a Youtube channel but I haven't got any other social media apps because they simply do not interest me. I definitely prefer forums to social media.
Reddit isn't really social media, I see it as a collection of forums really. Each sub-reddit is just a forum on a different topic, its not so much about posting your life updates (Facebook) or opinion (Twitter) for everyone to see, as you need to post in a specific sub-reddit against a pre-defined theme (like a forum).

Just wondering if anyone here uses an iPhone or iPad and has the YouTube app installed? I do - and since December it has had a notifications issue where it keeps telling me the number of unwatched videos. To clear it, you have to go into the app and tap the bell icon. It clears the notification badge but returns again very soon with a stupidly high number. The number has crept up slowly from about 30 to this figure today.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

• 1678126769495.png
    1678126769495.png
    69 KB · Views: 6
Personally I don't bother with the app. I just have Youtube bookmarked in my web browser and go into Youtube that way. I'm not sure what benefit the app would bring apart from saving a few seconds and clicks when you want to open it. If it's causing you issues you could consider deleting the app.

Just wondering if anyone here uses an iPhone or iPad and has the YouTube app installed? I do - and since December it has had a notifications issue where it keeps telling me the number of unwatched videos. To clear it, you have to go into the app and tap the bell icon. It clears the notification badge but returns again very soon with a stupidly high number. The number has crept up slowly from about 30 to this figure today.

I’ve got various iOS devices and have never seen that on the YouTube so presumably I’ve got notifications turned on my account. If I want to catch up with any new posts I just hit the Subscriptions tab in the app and it shows me recently posted videos by the channels I follow, I find some apps can be a bit too obtrusive or unnecessarily with their notifications sometimes.

Last edited:

I get this but then if you’re subscribed to a high number of channels then the number of notifications is likely to creep up pretty quickly. You can always turn notifications off in settings if it annoys you.

I use YouTube on my iPad, and I certainly don’t have this problem. Have you got the bell turned on for a number of channels or something?

My notifications number just seems to clear when I view the Notifications tab.

I feel like a philistine reading this conversation. I use YouTube in private mode, not signed in. Search what I want to see, watch it and leave.

I used to have YouTube premium and subscribed to the odd channel, but found that if you don't have enough self control you can lose days watching absolute nonsense, but not so much now.

I get this but then if you’re subscribed to a high number of channels then the number of notifications is likely to creep up pretty quickly. You can always turn notifications off in settings if it annoys you.
I’m not logged into YouTube or subscribed to any channels. I don’t really want to go adjusting my iOS settings either.

However, one thing I’ve noticed today is they’re all recommended videos. I might turn off the recommendation notifications and see if that helps.

1678215195627.png

Yeah, I’m an iOS whizz, however I feel reluctant to adjust the setting because YouTube can’t address the app issues, and it’s had updates since Christmas. Seems a little petty but my attitude is it’s their problem so they fix it (YouTube’s problem).