• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sonic Spinball - 2014 and Beyond

I don't know, I've never thought a video game theme would really suit Alton Towers.

Then again if I had my way I'd quite like to see a new breed of Theme Park which removes the Theme while still remaining what we think of as a themed park. Think of it like The Shard building in London; People don't say it has been "themed" to look like a shard of glass, they say it was "designed based on" or something similar. In other words rides that are what they are but still have the emphasis of being more than just a ride.

But that's a whole different topic ;)

That'll be Duel's next retheme - Call of Duty. You'll have your pick of guns from submachines to snipers, with proportional points for hits with each. :p

On a more serious note though, I like Spinball and hope it is retained within the park - even if it has to be refurbished and moved. It's an extremely unique experience and one which bridges the gap between the RMT and larger rides. I also don't think the theming is that bad! Sure, it's a bit cheesy, but then again you are dealing with a giant blue hedgehog ;)

Sonic Spinball always has long que times and is still a great attraction, I can’t see it leaving the park anytime soon although I think it will be moved and rethemed due to height restrictions on the current site.

Tim said:
I don't know, I've never thought a video game theme would really suit Alton Towers.

Then again if I had my way I'd quite like to see a new breed of Theme Park which removes the Theme while still remaining what we think of as a themed park. Think of it like The Shard building in London; People don't say it has been "themed" to look like a shard of glass, they say it was "designed based on" or something similar. In other words rides that are what they are but still have the emphasis of being more than just a ride.

It'd be difficult to make it feel original but not impossible. And by themeless themed rides, isn't that more or less Six Flags and Cedar Fair's game (especially with rides like Hydra at Dorney Park)? :p

I quite like Spinball to be honest. I've always found it good fun and it chucks you about a bit which is good! I'm always surprised when I see people slating it on this forum but we've all got our own opinions, so I just thought I'd add mine :)

I also quite like spinball but the queues make it a no go in my mind. Sonic is, though, a powerful brand and it would be a shame to loose it.

BigAl said:
Tim said:

It'd be difficult to make it feel original but not impossible. And by themeless themed rides, isn't that more or less Six Flags and Cedar Fair's game (especially with rides like Hydra at Dorney Park)? :p

It's kind of hard for me to explain as I still haven't nailed down the idea yet. But think of it as like Hex. Hex isn't a ride inside a building themed as a Gothic house, it is part of a genuine Gothic house and based on a well known local legend. Or take Valhalla's station which was designed and built in Scandinavia based on real Viking architecture, meaning it crosses the line between being themeing and a legitimate modern age Viking building.

Like I said this is fairly irrelevant to Sonic, just throwing out ideas for a replacement that doesn't take away from the towers with some tacky themeing.

Quick question, but what are the chances of Spinball being moved to somewhere else in the park? Like, say, Cloud Cuckoo Land?

Tim said:
BigAl said:
Tim said:

It's kind of hard for me to explain as I still haven't nailed down the idea yet. But think of it as like Hex. Hex isn't a ride inside a building themed as a Gothic house, it is part of a genuine Gothic house and based on a well known local legend. Or take Valhalla's station which was designed and built in Scandinavia based on real Viking architecture, meaning it crosses the line between being themeing and a legitimate modern age Viking building.

Like I said this is fairly irrelevant to Sonic, just throwing out ideas for a replacement that doesn't take away from the towers with some tacky themeing.
Ah right. Yeah it's nice to see rides which take inspiration from real things (just like Dragon Falls did), though sometimes rides and areas that are more realistic don't necessarily make the best and most fun themes (look at Wild Asia for example).

But yeah, tacky themes are what worry me the most when it comes to modern themes (especially with children's areas and areas based on a fad IP) and I'm concerned about what might happen in 2014 to Storybook Land and / or the Farmyard.

AshleeKel said:
Quick question, but what are the chances of Spinball being moved to somewhere else in the park? Like, say, Cloud Cuckoo Land?

I was thinking about this earlier after someone else asked the question. I honestly don't think the park would move it. because Maurer concrete the supports in like Gerstlauer rather than fixing the supports to concrete footers with bolts like B&M, Intamin and other better manufacturers, the supports would all need to be cut to free the track.

There's an American park that purchased a Maurer with the intention of shipping it to their park. Because the ride is basically partially wedged in the ground, they had to work out how to shift it without using much money as the park isn't very big. The supports on that all had to be cut.

So I'd say that it'd be 1) too much hassle and 2) far too expensive. I'd also say there's probably nowhere else it could go. The area behind CCL is tricky as it's near the village, so anything that does eventually go there will have to be low and quiet. There's also supposedly more ruins under the ground around Coaster Corner, so there probably can't be deep footers. Dark rides spring to mind, as well as small flat rides for families that won't make people scream too much. :p

To be fair, Alton were planning on moving the ride to the entertainment area if they ever actually do it.

I would imaging Sonic will go through one more retheme, live another 3 seasons and then when they want to bargain for SW8 they will offer it up in sacrifice for something big at the other side of the park.

They have already made a nod to allowing the GDO height to be lowered in that area once Spinball leaves

Is anyone aware of what's actually happening to Sonic next year? I'm guessing just a basic re-theme back to the Spinball Wizzer?

The February half term line up has it listed as Sonic Spinball still so I wouldn't be too sure.

I'd imagine it will stay as Sonic Spinball next year. It is not in the area that is being re-themed so as long as the contract for the IP remains nothing will change. I suspect it will get a re-theme for 2015.

:)

I'd be surprised if we saw any drastic changes to the rides theme with CBeebies Land moving in next door. Even if the IP runs out soon, I doubt it would take much to extend it for another year or two perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

The current contract was only a 3 year deal for 2010-2013 so I think it's safe to assume the contract with SEGA has been renewed for a while longer.

I'm reckoning it will either have it's contract extended for a year or two, or it will be renamed but with keeping the sonic theming, just like the flume, ahhhh. :D

BenBowser said:
I'm reckoning it will either have it's contract extended for a year or two, or it will be renamed but with keeping the sonic theming, just like the flume, ahhhh. :D

How would that work? If the contract expires then they would need to remove all the Sonic themeing around the ride.

TedTheHuman said:
BenBowser said:

How would that work? If the contract expires then they would need to remove all the Sonic themeing around the ride.
Have you not seen the flume?
Or even dragons fury at CWOA?

BenBowser said:
TedTheHuman said:
BenBowser said:

Have you not seen the flume?
Or even dragons fury at CWOA?

Right you'd expect the Sonic statue to stay well after the contract expires? I don't. It's not the same principal as the Skips sponsorship on Fury (which was mostly stickers on the cars which were later removed) or Flume's sponsorship. (Again, the logos were removed, but the bath/soap themeing is mostly still there)