• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sonic Spinball - 2014 and Beyond

Isn't it listed as "Sonic Spinball" for half term? That seems to imply the contract with SEGA has at least been renewed for a further year.

It should be removed (in my opinion). Removed in 2016/17 to help the SW8 application? Then they could lower the GDO in that area and extend CBeebies Land. Or turn it into a picnic area!

Am I one of the only people that doesn't want Spinball to go?

It is a good fun coaster with a medium height restriction and due to the spinning is a little different everytime, Dragon's Fury at Chessington is better ride but they are both still fun. Yes Spinball doesn't quite look right where it is, but I don't see any reason to remove it in a hurry.

A new kids coaster is needed, in addition to the existing line up!

^nope I'm with you there.

I don't like where it is, I don't like the dreadful operations, I don't like the que, I don't like the 'theming' I dont like the 3 person when raining rule, But I love the ride :)

The only time I will ride it is when the que is less than 10mins.

^ Let's be honest, when is spinball ever at a 10min queue, it's capacity is awful.

It's a fun ride. Although has crap capacity and doesn't suit Alton's portfolio at all!

Sonic Spinball is actually incredibly efficiently operated. The simple fact however is that the throughput per hour is inherently low - there is nothing they could do to improve it. It often achieves close to theoretical hourly capacity - i.e. you will see that cars wait at the end of the station platform before being sent, this is because the block ahead is not cleared.

Good ride, wrong throughput and wrong location.

Perhaps the park could look into a Mack spinning coaster in the future, given they operate with 16-seater trains.

:)

AstroDan said:
Perhaps the park could look into a Mack spinning coaster in the future, given they operate with 16-seater trains.

:)

Are they convertable? :p Although admittedly the one Mack spinner I have ridden, at Knotts, was really intense as I recall!

I do quite like Sonic, but it really is in the wrong location, lacks any kind of theme and just sticks out and looks ugly.

I say move it elsewhere on park, best place would be in coaster corner inside a building, like PhantasiaLand, so not just Sonic in a building, but lots of other little rides dotted around Sonic. Then you can extend CCL (or create a new area) and you won't need to worry about noise as it will be inside.

Then on the Sonic site either extend CBeebies land, or create a new area with something else.

djtruefitt said:
I say move it elsewhere on park, best place would be in coaster corner inside a building, like PhantasiaLand, so not just Sonic in a building, but lots of other little rides dotted around Sonic. Then you can extend CCL (or create a new area) and you won't need to worry about noise as it will be inside.

I'm not sure if current layout would work indoors, would be better designing a new indoor coaster from scratch and keeping Spinball! As once indoors the thrilling sections may not feel as thrilling as your perception of speed and height is different in the dark.

In the dark I'm not sure about but how about it being inside in the light as part of a new entrance lobby or something like that with near misses with the walls and ceilings? I think that could be quite good.

Yea I didn't mean a dark coaster, it can be lit up and part of a larger building, with other rides, shops and food outlets in there.

I'd be disappointed to see Spinball go to be quite honest, as daft as it sounds, I'd be happy to see it at BPB if Towers were to sell it on.

I was just wondering whether the sponsorship with SEGA has expired? The contract from January 2010 was originally for three years but then it got renewed for another three. If they haven’t renewed the contract it would make sense as a cost saving measure but likely to disappoint Sonic fans.

The website about ERT refers to it as spinball now as well, the rides page doesn't as of yet but Twitter refers as it to spinball to, so I'm pretty sure it'll be "spinball" or something similar this season. Can't see it being reverted to "spinball whizzer" either.

I expect it to be spinball whizzer just because they have existing signage, but who knows - but I sincerely doubt it will be Sonic any more. I wonder if it will get a repaint away from the sonic colours...

The website hasn't been updated yet but AT never tend to be in a rush to update their website. Also according to Wikipedia (which prompted my question) the ride is going back to Spinball Whizzer.

So it looks like we will be losing two IPs this year with CATCF.

Losing IPs isn't always a bad thing though.
I expect it to revert to old name without a repaint, why bother?

This is a decent little ride, one that to me seems stupid to get rid of, I like @Rob's idea further up there. Like an indoor kids/family area in coaster corner, easier to soundproof, wouldn't need to be massive, and would provide more much needed poor weather shelter!

I like that idea, I really do.