• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Spinball Whizzer: General Discussion

Why? I don't recall this happening on any of the other roller coasters which passed that anniversary... planes famously run with the stuff they're built with leading to all those 'BA 747s still running Windows 3.1' style stories.

Replacement parts…normally not supported by the manufacturer. Some parts, relays etc may be approaching end of life. All electrical parts have and end of life.

Might be fine running, try turning it off and back on…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've certainly operated a number of coasters older then Spinball running their original PLCs.

What is it about age that makes them less reliable ? We have infrastructure / technology at work that is older than me that we don't change in fear of breaking it, it just keeps going otherwise.

Replacement parts no longer manufactured
Support from known suppliers/integrators for updates
All electrical kit has a lifespan (based on calculations of number of cycles) eventually it will hit that limit
Standards have changed, related to safety, design or cyber security
No documentation/drawings

There’s a myriad of reasons

That’s precisely my point, not changing for fear of breaking it is unsustainable, when it’s got people’s safety under its control…

And do you think Alton fancies taking the risk?

It can often mean the end of a rides life (see corkscrew, black hole etc) sometimes though it’s worth upgrading (see Nemesis which I’m sure has had a control system replacement at this point, be mad not too) but it’s not that major as they aren’t overly complicated and not time/process restricted and it’s a highly regulated industry. I’d expect something between £200k to £1m

Replacement parts…normally not supported by the manufacturer. Some parts, relays etc may be approaching end of life. All electrical parts have and end of life.

Might be fine running, try turning it off and back on…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Relays? That sounds rather like relay logic rather than ladder logic you find in PLCs to me...

In any case 20 years is not a regular interval I recognise for these sort of upgrades.

It can often mean the end of a rides life (see corkscrew, black hole etc) sometimes though it’s worth upgrading (see Nemesis which I’m sure has had a control system replacement at this point, be mad not too) but it’s not that major as they aren’t overly complicated and not time/process restricted and it’s a highly regulated industry. I’d expect something between £200k to £1m
Corkscrew got to 28 years without one, and AIUI it was the motor which would have needed replacing to keep it going.
Black Hole was removed because of a requirement to add additional evacuation infrastructure, as well as the fact it was generally knackered.

Both would have relied on relay logic than a PLC and would have been modularly serviceable as a result.

Last edited:
Relays? That sounds rather like relay logic rather than ladder logic you find in PLCs to me...

In any case 20 years is not a regular interval I recognise for these sort of upgrades.

Corkscrew got to 28 years without one, and AIUI it was the motor which would have needed replacing to keep it going.
Black Hole was removed because of a requirement to add additional evacuation infrastructure, as well as the fact it was generally knackered.

Both would have relied on relay logic than a PLC and would have been modularly serviceable as a result.

Yes relays. And no not for logic, but they can be used for logic as well (which also will have a lifespan by which they will need to be replaced) They are usually used for firing digital output signals, normally for switching loads.

As you say 28 years is about what I’d expect in terms of lifespan for kit like that. But eventually it’s just come to the end of its working life, not everything but most things in an control system will fail. Even the enclosures letting in moisture that will do damage eventually, capacitors failing, lamps fail, wiring corrodes, contacts wear or burn.

They are serviceable, but to a point as I’ve explained in other posts. Most industry now won’t have control systems over 30 years old for those reasons. Theme parks are no different.

Appreciate this is off topic so will leave it there, I did make a thread about ride control systems somewhere if someone can move this to there

I have to say as spinball has been shut pretty much 5 months, the ride looks worse than ever. It’s a shame they didn’t take the opportunity whilst it was having its new PLC to clean and paint it. It’s just covered in grease, dirt and grime.

Since it’s re-opened I’ve been twice and it’s broke both visits I’ve walked past it, so reliability seems just as bad.

Also it’s only running 4 cars which again is awful for queue times.

It’s not my favourite but I do like spinball. It does throw you about a bit and I can totally see how it’s a squeeze for taller people but I had a fun ride on it today. That’s the best way to describe it for me, good fun. It’s not the most intense or the smoothest or the most of anything really, but I have a right laugh on it every time. It’s wild in its own way, especially if you get the weight balance right, feels like it’s trying to throw you out of it sometimes!

It’s just a shame its capacity is woeful and its reliability is questionable at present.

It’s not my favourite but I do like spinball. It does throw you about a bit and I can totally see how it’s a squeeze for taller people but I had a fun ride on it today. That’s the best way to describe it for me, good fun. It’s not the most intense or the smoothest or the most of anything really, but I have a right laugh on it every time. It’s wild in its own way, especially if you get the weight balance right, feels like it’s trying to throw you out of it sometimes!

It’s just a shame its capacity is woeful and its reliability is questionable at present.
I’m just about 6ft which is over the Uk male average of 5’10”. I can understand why it would be uncomfortable for those above my height though. Let’s just hope the remaining cars are added back to the track soon because it seems it’s struggling with capacity recently.

I don’t really rate Spinball, personally. I’m not the biggest fan of spinning coasters to begin with, and I just find it a bit too rough and jerky for my liking.

Of the decent size coasters at Alton Towers (i.e. the coaster lineup excluding Octonauts), I’d say it’s easily my least favourite.

I love Spinball. I find it vastly underrated. Of all the Maurer spinning coasters I have done, Spinball actually has one of the more intense layouts - with quick turns and sudden movements and not overly slowing on block sections. It is also relatively well operated (not currently, I hasten to add). I am one of the few who prefer it to Dragon's Fury, both sides of Winja's (layout wise, anyway) and others.

Excluding Nemesis and Wicker Man, I would say it's the coaster I enjoy the most on park.

I just wish it had better theming!

I do enjoy Spinball. I'd say Winjas Fear is probably the best I've done, but Spinball/Fury/Tarantula are the next best ones I've ridden and I enjoy them. Only other Maurer spinners I have done are Winjas Force and Spinning Racer

4 cars running today. Open and closed like a yo yo.

Does anyone know how many cars the ride was purchased with and the maximum amount it could run with?

Apologies if this is mentioned earlier on in thread.

I do enjoy Spinball. I'd say Winjas Fear is probably the best I've done, but Spinball/Fury/Tarantula are the next best ones I've ridden and I enjoy them. Only other Maurer spinners I have done are Winjas Force and Spinning Racer

It’s a pity that Spinning Racer was only in the UK so briefly. According to Coasterpedia it’s still owned by the Mellors but was moved to Saudi Arabia and operated at Riyadh Winter Wonderland. Would have been a great ride to have had for a more extended stay at a UK park somewhere.

It’s a pity that Spinning Racer was only in the UK so briefly. According to Coasterpedia it’s still owned by the Mellors but was moved to Saudi Arabia and operated at Riyadh Winter Wonderland. Would have been a great ride to have had for a more extended stay at a UK park somewhere.
At least we have stormchaser.

Back on topic. Surely it shouldn't be that expensive to just buy 2 more new cars from Maurer if the older ones aren't in use anymore?

At least we have stormchaser.

Back on topic. Surely it shouldn't be that expensive to just buy 2 more new cars from Maurer if the older ones aren't in use anymore?
Have Merlin ever bought new trains for any of their coasters?

Spinball is running quite well this season (when it does work).

Spinball has 8 cars.

They have replaced the Shaman trains at Gardaland, albeit in a somewhat piecemeal fashion.

Did they replace the Collosos trains ?