• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Splash Landings repaints

The hotels side of the resort are missing David Steel badly.

:)

I've been out the loop with hotel management since Steel left... haven't they had two or more people take over his role since he left?!

It's a shame people like David S. leave places like Alton. He knew what to do with the place!

The shape of that food serving area is going to cause CHAOS in the peak season. Just look how chaotic Pizza and Pasta is during peak time in the park, and this will be the same as people collide in the middle section as some people come from the left, some from the right etc. The old layout worked well and spread out the food choices nicely.

As for the bar area, im not concerned about the new Pizza area, this area wasnt used much anyway and I think the pizza idea is not for the evening to have any impact on Flambo's but more for the evening when people want a snack, or at times like Scarefest where people get in late and want a pizza (because nothing else is open).

As for nowhere to hide from the stage - there are plenty of seats up near the entrance to the bar area which are far enough from the stage.

However, for me, Splash has always been a dire hotel. It has as much fun carribean atmosphere as a morgue. Its boring in the evenings, has no atmosphere whatsoever, its cold and souless. Whatever they do, its not going to improve!

The big problem with Splash Landings hotel is its layout, the architect and designers need shooting really! Nothing flows, everything is cluttered, no room for expansion, etc.

Margs was badly designed before they altered the stage or added the pizza place, it doesn't help that its just a long corridor with the bar at one end (with the odd added corridor to the side, which is now the pizza place), a stage in the middle and then the entrance at the other end, then chuck in a smoking area out some fire doors near the bar. Its just a bit of a mess. Worse of all there really isn't that much seating in there for everyone. I think they need to expand the seating into the reception area (and not just the crappy metal seats they chuck in there when its busy, but proper comfy themed seats) and then remove the lego area and make that a nice seating area. It would also be so much better if that large void area where the water feature is and windows are, that would add loads more seating space, and also remove the loud noise from the bar to flambos and vice versa.

You almost need to rip it all out and start again! Move the stage, bar, seats, etc, and make it a much more practical area.

Don't even start on the design of the pool, or the outside pool. Its no wonder they have never expanded it, they are very limited in what they can do with it because of the bad design!

NEW: Paradise Cove Pizza Restaurant

Today myself and a few other TSTers visited the new 'Paradise Cove Pizzeria' Restaurant in Splash Landings Hotel for a bite to eat after leaving the Waterpark. After the previous mess ups to Splash Landings I didn't have high hopes for this latest addition but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised!

The small restaurant located at the rear of MaGarrita's Bar has limited seating based on a 'first come first served' basis, although there is a waiting list when busy such as today. The Menu consists of a range of Pastas, Pizzas, Sides and Desserts including a Kids menu. 10" Pizzas are approx £8.00 and 16" £16.00. The food is made fresh to order and looks and tastes amazing. (Highly recommend the garlic doughballs!)

A much needed permanent addition to the Resort Hotels, offering a cheaper alternative to the other Restaurants. ;D

Menu
nxl0fb.jpg

2rp4qvb.jpg

Pizzas
11t1nyg.jpg

15eybdh.jpg

I must say, although the layout and planning seems to be fairly appalling, those pizzas look frankly delicious!

In response to everyone really, the Pizza at the new place is really good. I could not fault it at all. Something which was 100% needed, as people do not want to wait round for ages to eat at SGR or Flambo's, something quick and simple was needed, and it's certainly going down a storm. There was a queue tonight to get into it, and it's generally a lovely new place, which just extends it even more.

Good job, and thumbs up from me.
EDIT: I'm on that table. Just thought I'd put it out there..

So far, the reviews of the food seem really positive and the only criticisms are due to the layout and lack of space. If that's sorted then the hotels might have done something that pleases us for once! ;)

The pizzas do look very appetising from the pictures though. If this is successful, do you reckon that it will be extended to provide more pizza types and a larger capacity?

It does look nice, and Splash has offered pizzas in the evening before, however its not really promoted, and did just turn up in a pizza box! So it is nice for somewhere to grab a quick bite, without the faff of flambos or secret garden, its just a shame its so small. They could do with building a new restaurant somewhere! Ill have to try it out later this year when im back on resort.

Blimey, those pictures made me hungry. Good to see the resort expanding their food offerings, shame they're not expanding their premises but one out of two ain't bad. I wonder how much stuff we'll see crammed into the existing buildings before they see the need to create new hotels/public spaces.

Finally, something good has come of these refurbs. I also hope they make more of a link between the two hotels, letting you use them both for everything they offer. That would be a great addition, more variety as well.

BenBowser said:
Finally, something good has come of these refurbs. I also hope they make more of a link between the two hotels, letting you use them both for everything they offer. That would be a great addition, more variety as well.

What exactly do you mean by that? You can already use the facilities in either hotel, it doesn't matter which you stay in. Or do you mean physical links?

Rob said:
BenBowser said:

What exactly do you mean by that? You can already use the facilities in either hotel, it doesn't matter which you stay in. Or do you mean physical links?

Physical links, to almost merge them

I think the Skywalk is a good enough link. There isn't really any other way you could possibly link them.

Scott said:
If it ain't broke don't fix it. That's what they *should* be saying.

What needed fixing in Flambo's was the food quality and variety - not the layout. The themed row of buffet counters stretching along the kitchen worked perfectly fine and was functional for both staff and guests. There was absolutely no need for this change and it completely baffles me.

Very true! There was nearly a fight that broke out when I stayed before new year as people were unsure of which was to travel around the food. Someone had started the opposite end and was faced with an angry rude woman who shouted at her. It is the roast which causes the most chaos...it needs to put out of the way by itself.

The problem is (which ever way it is layed out) there is no system as to where you should start. Its the same in the pizza pasta buffet, most people queue from the right hand side, but others from the left, then some just jump in the middle and help them selves, but there are no signs or anything to say what you should do, the same at flambos, So there may well be a queue at one end, but there is nothing to say you have to queue, therefore someone just getting food from the other end is fine doing so.

It could do with having some kind of barrier around it and an in and out section, but you then get the problems if people only want a bowl or chips or something, they would have to join a big queue and wait behind people filling their plates high!