• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Stargazing Pods

They just print what they are given! God knows who at towers actually designs these signs, they should have lost their job years back with the amount of mistakes they make!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s that saying? You pay peanuts...

Just been having a look around online to see what other options there are for 'budget' accommodation near Alton Towers and how it is priced versus the Star Gazing Pods - as suspected it comes out much cheaper, but not only that the facilities offered seem much better too.

Some examples, for two adults staying on a Saturday night in May - with the prices for comparison. Star Gazing Pods is just the B&B price, so no park tickets included.

Alton Castle Centre - (Hostel, 3 minute drive from the park) - private room for up to 4 people, en-suite. £69 per room vs Star Gazing Pods - £133.

119543823.jpg

Hales Hall Camping Pods - (10 minute drive to the park) - camping pods £50, bar/restaurant onsite, vs Star Gazing Pods - £133.

image1%203.JPG

YHA Ilam Hall Hostel - (15 min drive to the park) - private room for 2 with en-suite £69. Self catering kitchen and bar/food options. vs Star Gazing £133.

YHAIlam-8.jpg

Mount Pleasant Glamping - (9 minute drive to the park) - Glamping Hut with kettle/toaster and outside oven/seating area - £130 for 2 nights vs Star Gazing £243

p72263.jpg

Star Camp Site Glamping - (4 minute drive to the park) - glamping tent, sleeps up to 5 with seating area and kitchen plus decking. £180 for 3 nights (can't book for any shorter), vs Star Gazing for 2 nights £243 (pods are only open Fri and Sat nights in May).

4829_20160426111748821.jpg

I appreciate there will always be a premium for staying at the resort, but just a quick look around seems to show how far short the Stargazing Pods seem to fall when it comes to both price and facilities.

Plus with the way they run the monorail these days I would imagine with a lot of these off site options, you could drive to the park use express parking and still be at the turnstiles before the onsite Stargazing guests. Add £16 for Express parking and you are still quids in.

To be honest, I can see why it's not enforced that much. The staff walking about are probably either going on their break or returning from their break so don't want to waste their personal time with confrontation. I know I wouldn't. Any security or managers walking around could enforce it, though...

Unfortunately that's against the resort's rules (someone asked last year).
Knowing AT Security, I doubt the rule would be enforced though - and using the toilets under the Monorail car park station would give you an infinitely better ratio of toilets and sinks to guests than in the Stargazing Sheds.

On a more serious note, if you decide to sleep in your car anywhere and have consumed alcohol, you run the real risk of an "Intent to Drive whilst unfit through drink / drugs" charge. Being in the car with the keys present - even if you're sleeping in the back with the rear seat down into the boot is enough if you've over the limit. (Recent case with a certain "Glamour Model" is proof). If your sleeping in the drivers seat, then it's a Drink-Drive charge.