• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Talbot Street Lock In

The greatest show on earth rolled into town in 1983 with the arrival of the Circus Hassani in the park's new Big Top venue. Two classic kids rides also arrived with the addition of the Vintage Cars as well as the Dragon Coaster (later known as The Beastie)

1983.jpg

We can't pass 1983 without mentioning the Space Boat - an almost mythical attraction that operated at the Towers for less than a single season before being replaced by the Octopus.

Whilst it may only have had a brief time at the Towers, the ride still operates today as the Black Pearl at Lightwater Valley.

Did you manage to ride this short lived attraction whilst it was in the park? Or maybe in its current home?

49690615122_4efde581da_n.jpg

Space Boat was before my time, but I did recently see this video which has more footage of the ride than I have seen before, both at the beginning and end of the video.

Lots of other good shots of the park too.

I rode the Mary Rose at Bembom Brothers Dreamland in Margate back in the mid 80's, which is basically the same ride as the Space Boat

Space Boat was before my time, but I did recently see this video which has more footage of the ride than I have seen before, both at the beginning and end of the video.

Lots of other good shots of the park too.

That is amazing footage. I see that video is dated as 1984, are we safe to presume this is incorrect?

What exactly were the circumstances of Space Boat's rapid departure? I know planning permission was sought and declined but that wasn't usually such an immediate issue for Broome.

Also, what's with the dude at the top of the Log Flume's big drop?

I rode the Mary Rose at Bembom Brothers Dreamland in Margate back in the mid 80's, which is basically the same ride as the Space Boat

I believe that is the *exact* same one, Bembom took it with him to Loudoun Castle then sold it Lightwater Valley when that park closed down.

Last edited:
I am right in assuming that this is the same boat ride that had a few seasons at my local park ( Pleasurewood Hills ) where it was called the tempest. It arrived in 1990 and left at the end of the 1994 season for Loudoun I believe ? As a few of their other rides also went to Loudoun which included the carousel

I am right in assuming that this is the same boat ride that had a few seasons at my local park ( Pleasurewood Hills ) where it was called the tempest. It arrived in 1990 and left at the end of the 1994 season for Loudoun I believe ? As a few of their other rides also went to Loudoun which included the carousel

I don't believe that one is the same ride. It was certainly the same type of ride, but the popular theory is that the Loudoun model was moved from Dreamland by the Bembon Brothers.

It seems like there might have been at least three of these 'Traum Boots' in the UK all of which switched parks several times during the 80s and 90s, so trying to work out which is which gets a bit tricky. Based on the ride's artwork my belief is that the Alton Towers Space Boat was the one that became the Mary Rose at Dreamland, then on to Loudoun and now Lightwater Valley.

That is amazing footage. I see that video is dated as 1984, are we safe to presume this is incorrect?

What exactly were the circumstances of Space Boat's rapid departure? I know planning permission was sought and declined but that wasn't usually such an immediate issue for Broome.

I think we're safe to say that date is incorrect, though it is an awesome video. I reckon it was the episode of Wish You Were Here it is taken from was aired in 1984 but using the park's 1983 film reel.

Interestingly, according to the Staffordshire Moorlands Council, the Space Boat actually did receive planning permission, so it really is a mystery as to why it departed. It still seems likely that height was the issue but it doesn't seem like the park were forced to remove it.

1984 saw one of the largest expansions in the park's history with the addition of nine new attractions over the course of the season.

The park opened with five new thrill rides - the Enterprise, Wave Swinger, Turbo Star, Magic Carpet and Octopus - as well as the much-loved Black Hole.

During the season, these were also joined the classic attractions that were the Mississippi Showboat and 1001 Night.

If the park were to add another wave of thrill attractions, what rides would you like to see come to the park?
1984.jpg

Ah man, I rode that thing sooo many times. The first time riding with my little sister my mum watching from the ground had a proper breakdown she was so terrified for us. When it held you at the top my sister's handkerchief fell from her pocket and fluttered to the ground, that was it, mum fell to the floor wailing and stayed there till a while after we got off. I found it hilarious, obviously.

Never realised it did time at Towers, nevert got to ride it there.

It's not only the park that turns 40 this year, The Blade was one of the amusement park's first attractions. Originally known as the Pirate Ship, it operated on the site more recently occupied by Submission but was moved to it's current home in Forbidden Valley in 1997.

We were not expecting to see The Blade operating at the start of this season but let's keep our fingers crossed that the extra closed season gives the park enough time to get this ship swinging for her 40th birthday!

Was it not the pirate ship that opened at Trentham Gardens prior to relocating to Towers for 1980? I was under the impression it is actually a couple of years older than the theme park itself.

1984 heralded the arrival of the Black Hole in Fantasy World.

Interestingly, the original marketing and souvenirs for the ride featured a stylised version of the Corkscrew's train. It wasn't until the ride was transformed into Black Hole II in 1988 that the marketing was updated to include the ride's actual train design.

49713922431_335be501ed_w.jpg

Was it not the pirate ship that opened at Trentham Gardens prior to relocating to Towers for 1980? I was under the impression it is actually a couple of years older than the theme park itself.

I'm not sure TBH. I have heard that rumour but I have never seen anything that would back up the idea.

I'm sceptical because the Pirate Ship opened at Alton Towers the year before I think John Broome acquired Trentham Gardens, so the link between the parks did not yet exist.

I always wondered why they used what was obviously a Corkscrew train on the Black Hole posters...?
TBH, I just assumed it was because they knew the BH trains looked naff.

Between 1985 and 1987 Sunflower Books produced official and rather comprehensive guidebooks for the park.

Unlike the normal park maps these guidebooks included a detailed plan of the park to help navigate guests. This 1985 plan features the new additions that season - the Ferris Wheel and 4 Man Bob - both of which had been relocated from nearby Trentham Gardens.

1985.jpg

Was the Ferris wheel on the site of the CCL Skyride station? Never knew that. Every days a school day :)

Was the Ferris wheel on the site of the CCL Skyride station? Never knew that. Every days a school day :)

Yup, it was there for one season and then moved the following year to make way for the Skyride. For its second theatre it was located roughly where the Thirteen Shop is now.