• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Talbot Street Lock In

1989 was the National Food & Farming Year, marking the 150th anniversary of the Royal Agricultural Society. As part of year long celebration, Alton Tower introduced the Britannia Farm, a small working farm that was located alongside Towers Street.

The farm and its animals may now be long gone, replaced now by the characters of CBeebies Land, but many of the farm buildings are still recognisable in the park today.

49764590907_d29f2bcc83_c_d.jpg

That might be what I'm remembering, thank you. It's a Broome thriftiness story - something along the lines of the whole Jet Star III rollercoaster with trains costing the same/not much more than just a new set of trains.

Presumably that meant The Beast only had 2 trains rather than the 4 or 5 the model is intended to run?

Am I right in thinking the ride had new trains when it moved to Thunder Valley?
I believe the Black Hole had 8 cars, so The Beast would have been running on 4 trains. But yes, it was supposed to have got new trains during the 1992 refurb.

The 90s began with the surprise sale of Alton Towers to Tussauds, who were looking to expand their theme park operations after early successes at Chessington World of Adventures.

Going out with a bang, the final investments of the John Broome era saw the addition of Thunder Looper as well as the Gravitron.

1990.jpg

It's so weird that Thunder Looper was completely isolated (other than the Sky Ride) for two seasons like that. I wonder what the plan for the area was under John Broome.

It's here! Today is the obligatory Henry Hound update everyone's been waiting for since this Lock In began!

The early 90s was Henry Hound's era at Alton Towers. The park mascot was everywhere; from cuddly toys and books to a whole host of shows and parades.

In 1990 Henry invited guests to jump in his Musical Time Machine at the Festival Park Dome and enjoy music from across the decades.

For over 10 years the Festival Park Dome was home to live music in the park, pumping a mix of the latest hits and classics into the heart of the park.

Would you like to see Live Music make a return to the park? Or perhaps the return of the park's much loved hound-dog mascot?
49773765726_53ab3f9d7f_n.jpg

We return to the skies of past for today's Rando Wednesday.

It is well known that the during World War II the park was requisitioned as an Army Training Camp. But these images from images from Britain from Above give a tantalising glimpse of the park directly after the war in the year's before it was handed back to it's owners.

1949-EAW024741.jpg

Despite the change in ownership, the 1991 season only saw minor changes in the park, whilst Tussauds finalised their plans. Tussauds did, however, introduce a new map style and slogan for the park 'Where Wonders Never Cease'.

Early closures in the new era saw the removal of the 4 Man Bob and Space 1999 exhibition and the popular Sea Lions also departed the park.

1991 also saw the arrival of the Gallopers Carousel, which this season will be transformed into the Royal Carousel in The World of David Walliams.
1991.jpg

Tussauds added their first ride in 1991, and it's probably not the one you are thinking of.

Their first installation was the Tri-Star, a thrill ride that replaced the 4 Man Bob. The ride was a short-lived addition to the park and was removed at the end of the next season.

49784763217_2f467eee0a_n.jpg

Tussauds revealed their hand in 1992 with their first big additions: The Haunted House in Gloomy Wood and Runaway Mine Train in Katanga Canyon.

These immersive new attractions, along with the removal of several older attractions set the course for the park during the magical 90s.
1992.jpg

When I saw that last post I went and looked at old maps. The first one I remember was 1998, and I have a soft spot for that style. but I think '94-'97 are the best, particularly '96 and '97.

Those '94-'97 maps look like they were designed to double as a poster to go up on bedroom walls across the nation, as shown in the 97 advert with the map acting as a portal into a magical world.

There were "laughs and family frights" in abundance in 1992 when Tussauds unveiled their vision for the park with the arrival The Haunted House.

The ride was undeniably one of the park's classic attractions and pushed the boundaries of what was expected in a dark ride (in some places maybe a little too far).

Today we're taking a look at the promotional material produced both before and after the ride had launched, featuring the ghost from the infamous short-lived ghost corridor.
49783897738_89ede70f90_w_d.jpg

1993 was the park's self-proclaimed Year of Children. The centrepiece of this celebration was the opening of The Land Of Make Believe.

Every day the new area's cast of colourful characters would be joined by the 'Celebrity of the Day', when the kids could meet a minor celeb from the world of sport, TV or pop.

Did you get to meet your favourite celebrity during this unique year-long event?

1993.jpg

At least we know there's been an even worse rehash of that area than World of David Walliams or Cloud Cuckoo Land. I suppose excusable if it was just spreading costs between major projects with Toyland added the next year

One of the hallmarks of the 90s at Alton Towers was the amount of theming added to the park - and not just the attractions.

Even the shops built during that era were highly themed and offered unique atmosphere and products, from the sombre interior of Something Sinister to Katanga Cargo Company, built as a trading post offering African style artwork.

Another much-missed classic of the time was The Chocolate House, which welcomed sweet-toothed guests into the Land of Make Believe.
49801664353_4d411810cc_n.jpg

We're venturing back into The Haunted House for today's Rando Wednesday.

It might look like a regular sized house from Gloomy Wood, but The Haunted House actually covers a space equivalent to two football pitches. If you've ever wondered how the ride was laid out, we've just added a plan of the ride onto TowersStreet, along with a potted history of the attraction.

hh-plan.jpg

Nice post! It's interesting when the Haunted House opened there was a debate over how scary it should be, which is why things like the fingers got changed and the troll popping up in the swamp got moved, they were decided not scary enough! After previously saying the ride shouldnt be too scary, Alton Towers changed their tune and asked for things to be made scarier. I'm pretty sure the giant head lasted all the way until Duel though.

Plus a few animations had issues due to the budget!

Also not wanting to sound pedantic but the names often online 'The Lunatic' , 'Tigger', 'Electric Bill' etc, are just fan nicknames first put on Hauntedone, the effects never had titles or names other than like 'column', 'rock monster'. It doesn't matter either way, but maybe fans assume they've got official names or something.