• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Talbot Street Tuesday/Thursday (Picture Heavy)

Re: Talbot Street Tuesday (Picture Heavy)

Thinking of the monorail - I assume it is operated just by the driver pressing a button to start it and then using a dial or something to control the speed of the train.

Why does it need operators in either station as well??

I would assume the station ops are acting as signalmen on a railway, giving the all clear to go ahead and so forth.

As far as im aware the drivers have no control over the monorail (no idea if that has always been the case), they simply open and close the doors and play the audio. The rest is controled either controlled automaticly or by someone in a control room. The driver can of course E-Stop the train.

However the best person to tell us would be Josh or Mr P.

I think they push a button to start when the light turns green and that is it.

I think there is a manual mode for when they are reversing and parking them.

It little things like this, that would be cool for Alton Towers to publish a 3-5 minute video on how things at Alton Towers work, it would generate a lot of discussion on social media, and costs very little.

Ian

Would have liked to be around the park during the 80's the park seems really bare :)

Very, errrr, interesting :)

Always nice when something like this is unearthed that people weren't aware even existed.

I have absolutely no recollection where this track was used - never heard it before, in fact...

Regarding that point above - about the emptiness of the park. I recall when Thunderlooper was first given it's own area (prior to that, it was classed as part of Aqualand!)... It was literally step off the Skyride, and if I recall correctly, literally just Thunderlooper was there.

There was very little in the way of theming across the park - as evidenced by the coasters in Talbot Street, Thunderlooper on its own; Fantasy World, Festival Park, Aqualand - weren't themed in any real way.

I was born in 82 and was privileged enough to be taken pretty regularly to the Towers after that point and I can't remember ever hearing that music. I could have simply missed it or understandably forgotten ever hearing it. I'd be interested to find out if it was ever actually used within the theme park etc.

It was used on park for many years. All over the park.They only stopped using it when attractions changed. And the song had no meaning.The track came straight from the studio on tape many years ago

There was also another song that Shirley Bassey sang called There's no place like London. And Alton Towers sang
There's no place like Alton no place at all the east or the west side you'll end up on the best side.There's no place like Alton and I've looked for hours there's no place like Alton Towers.And it goes on and on

no place like London?

There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it
and its morals aren't worth what a pin can spit
and it goes by the name of London... Alton...

god I wish they covered the Sweeny Todd song and not Shirley Bassey that would have been so very amusing!

It's an extremely annoying yet infectious song, I love it!

For this week's Talbot Street Tuesday we're taking a brief look at Festival Park, the 1980s/90s theme for the area which is today known as Dark Forest.

One of the more distinctive features of the area even today is the series of hexagonal units that make up Forest Feast and Tormented Treats and here we see the concept for the units when they were first built in the late 80s.

As you can see there were originally more of these units than survive today and they were originally intended to have a tent-like overlay, though this never emerged when they were built. The concept seems to suggest the management at the time were planning on bringing a medieval festival theme to the area, with a stone dais built at the centre of the 'tents'. (which also never appeared).
940857_478938002176649_1274815564_n.jpg

The plans for the units reveal further details, such as the square traced lines showing the buildings they replaced.

The blue unit in the bottom left hand corner still survives today as Tormeneted Treats, whilst the units in the bottom left hand corner (along with the neighboring arcade, which had once been the Wildlife Museum and later Rupert Bear's Magic Show), were demolished as part of the Ug Land project to make way for the water tree house.

Of the units in the upper row, the first two have now been demolished and the site used for Rita's shop, with the next four making up what is now Forest Feast. The 7th hexagon was cut in half as part of the Ug Land Project and is now the shooting gallery, and the final unit was never actually built, but is roughly where Cutter's Tower stands today.
7792_478938008843315_850359658_n.jpg

Apologies for the quality of this photo, but this aerial shot gives a good overview of the new catering units not long after they were built.

It also gives a good view of the rest of Festival Park at the time; The Corkscrew needs no explanation, but nestled in the trees behind it can be seen The Beastie in its original home (as The Dragon Coaster). The middle of the picture is dominated by the arcade, with the Wave Swinger (Twirling Toadstool) behind it and beyond that the Enterprise.

Hidden in the trees behind the catering units in the trees to the left of the picture can also be seen the classic spin and spew ride that was The Spider.
942301_478938028843313_333629406_n.jpg

Notably, one of the new catering units in Festival ark was home to the park's original Mexican Cantina, so 15 years early than the one we know today.

And yes, you could get a full meal and drink for lest than £2.
420725_478938045509978_660541811_n.jpg

In the 90s the 'new' units finally gained some levels of theming, seen here looking distinctly American (not long before they were rethemed into the Bronto Bites units in Ug Land).
946154_478938058843310_541904057_n.jpg

Another aerial shot from the mid-90s shows a very different looking Festival Park. The Energizer has arrived towards the bottom of the picture and with the departure of The Spider the Enterprise has moved into it's spot (with the Waveswinger relocated to the Enterprises old space just off the right hand end of the picture.

Notice how much open space that is open to the public can be seen behind the Corkscrew, where it's queueline snakes into. Today this is all part of Rita's ride area.

The empty space in the in the bottom right hand corner of the picture is the area that The Beastie has operated in before being relocated to Forbidden Valley; today Thirteen's entrance, exit and shop can be found here.
198884_478938068843309_617618063_n.jpg

Finally this week we return to ground level and move forward to 1997 and the arrival of the Astrodancers into the area, which had relocated from Fantasy World to make way for the construction of Oblivion.

This would also be the final season The Energizer would operate in Festival Park, as it would move the following year to become part of X Sector (on the site now occupied by Submission).
225605_478938092176640_1602525762_n.jpg

Pssst... methinks ye be confusing hexagons with octagons ;)

Great update as always :)

Can't beat old photos of the park thanks for these photos

Talbot Street Tuesday (Picture Heavy)

One of the best talbot street Tuesdays so far, I absolutely adore aerial photos of areas of the towers, and the commentary is very clear & well written.

So thanks guys :)

Tuesdays always suck at work, but this always cheers me up.

Welcome to another week of Talbot Street Tuesday, our weekly look back into the history of Alton Towers.

This week we head back to 1999 for the construction of Hex - The Legend of the Towers. Although a large part of Hex takes place in the real Towers, the final vault section is built in a large metal building attached to the towers.

Here you can see the construction of main vault, notice the entrance doors on either side of the metal structure.
392331_481465938590522_603158062_n.jpg

You may not think it when you are on the ride, but the main pit of the ride goes down fairly deep into the ground, this is to allow the room in which you are sat in, to spin.

Here you can see the large pit and parts for the main vault.
405728_481465941923855_201476173_n.jpg

The main vault benches complete with lapbars are being stored next to the construction site ready to be put into place soon.
954861_481465951923854_1678216526_n.jpg

The large metal structure of the main vault is now taking shape. You can see here the vault is not in its normal starting position, with the two doors being at at an angle.

In the background you can see the real Alton Towers where the main queue, cinema room and octagon room take place. Once you leave the octagon past the bookcase you are in a newly built building. The metal building on the right of this photo is the back of what is now known as Cloud Cuckoo Land.
936109_481465988590517_605384423_n.jpg

The basic structure of the main vault is now complete, complete with the benches in the middle.

So there you have it, this is what Hex would be like without the room, themeing or indeed a roof!
971265_481465985257184_111990783_n.jpg