• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Talbot Street Tuesday/Thursday (Picture Heavy)

Re: Talbot Street Tuesday (Picture Heavy)

I'm pretty sure American Adventure never actually had a Mississippi Showboat/fun house - they had (two) actual functioning Mississippi-style boats (which actually traversed the lake from the pier to Space Port) which came second hand from Glasgow Garden Festival (along with The Missile) and stayed with the park until closure.

TedTheHuman said:
I take it all the maps that are currently on the history section are those owned by TST members (or those who are known by TSTers) and they've been scanned? If that's the case I like the effort that's been gone through to do this rather then just nicking maps from Google! (If that's true obviously =P)
It doesn't really matter if they are or not. The copyright will be with either the artist/agency or Alton Towers, so whoever scanned it is neither here nor there legally.

Obviously kudos to whoever is actually scanning them in though.

American adventure never had a Mississippi Show boat. I visited managers regular and they never had one

There was indeed a Mississippi Showboat at American Adventure. As I recall, there wasn't much to it though. It's on the 1989 map as well as the Mississippi Boats that sailed across the lake.

Yes there was the boat that sailed around the lake at The American Adventure but Alton Towers was a static boat that did not go on water it was a fun walk around attraction. The American Adventures was just a dressed up boat that looked like a Mississippi boat.

For goodness' sake! Just admit that you are wrong.

There was a Mississippi Showboat Funhouse at the American Adventure Theme Park. Statement of fact!

It was exactly like the AT one, but without the jazz band, etc. It just had the revolving tube, wacky floors etc. and looked a bit lost on the lakeside by the Rapids ride. And given that 1989 saw the installation of the Missile, which at the time was one of the most amazing coasters in the UK, it's no wonder it didn't have any fanfare attached to it and why very few would have bothered with it, or remembered it.

But there it was!

And, as I say, it's on the 1989 map. The Mississippi Steamers, as the map called the boats that traversed the lake, were totally different attractions and are clearly marked differently on that same park map.

I'm happy to say that I visited the American Adventure park in 1987, even before it officially opened and for many years after. I have the park leaflets and maps for all the years up until 1993 when it began to go to pot. I loved the place and followed it avidly.

I have no idea why your supposed visits to managers would have even bothered discussing such a thing, but clearly your information is totally inaccurate.

My visits are not supposed I along with John Brooking made several visits as we made the costume Berty for John Broom who wanted Henry Hound but could not have him as Alton still held the rights to so we changed him into Berty. And if you look though Talbot Street forum you will see all the Characters that I still have from Alton. And the work we did for alton in the early 90's. You seem a very aggressive person perhaps because you have blurred vision I suggest a hair cut. I won't be commenting any more on this subject.
I'm a happy person who does not respond to people of this manner

Nah, I'm not an aggressive person, but when somebody blatantly disagrees with a fact that I know for sure, and still carries on arguing their case based on no actual evidence, and is attempting to make me look like I'm stupid; I make sure I stand up for myself on it. Don't mistake a well written argument that happens to disagree with you as 'aggressive'. Clearing up facts like these is also a good way of ensuring that a park's history is kept accurate.

Mississippi Showboat Funhouse at American Adventure clearly marked on their 1989 map, which I experienced myself. Obviously you were unaware of it, but there it was. I was making a statement of fact. You were arguing with me based on your clear lack of recollection of the attraction.

And you did respond to me, so why say you don't? And of course you'll look at this response and you'll be gagging to respond to it.

I haven't had blurred vision since I had my eyes lasered two years ago and 1989 was actually before my eyesight started to deteriorate and those who know me also know how short my hair is.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever had was' 'Don't argue with idiots because onlookers can't tell the difference'.

I'll start to take their advice here I think.

But anyway, to get back on track...

As someone with a sharp memory on all things Alton Towers and American Adventure during the 80s/90s (and a fine collection of old maps and leaflets from both parks), it's great to look back on these things, so thanks to the guys for keeping it going.

After last weeks TST celebrating the many varied ride additions of the 2011 season, this week's Talbot Street Tuesday (yes, we said Tuesday!), takes us soaring over the trees on a magic carpet ride, as we take a look at the much missed 1001 Nights.

http://www.towersstreet.com/history/past-rides/1001-nights/

968851_513831748687274_1339585358_n.jpg

I found this on my computer recently - admittedly, not as old as some of the stuff in this topic, but nevertheless, it's weird to see how much some of the park has changed in the last decade...

http://youtu.be/97rWYrXFzJA

Here is last weeks Talbot Street Tuesday:

This week's Talbot Street Tuesday goes Outta Control, as we take a look at one of the park's shortest lived attractions, Nickelodeon Outta Contol, a modern fun house, which only operated for a year and a half but is still very much a part of the park today having been SBNO for nearly 15 years.

http://www.towersstreet.com/history/past-rides/nickelodeon-outta-control/

559761_523823357688113_979618901_n.jpg

--------

Personally I find this ride a very odd one, especially as it was meant to open a year earlier, but in the end opened in 1997, but then was closed by 1998! Yet most of the ride is still there now. I remember going on it in 1997 because I was quite obsessed with Nickelodeon back then, I remember the staff even had themed uniform!

Is it still about inside though? They were doing some work around April/May time in there, so it could've partially vanished?

I remember going in their but you walked around with a cast member doing various things in different themed rooms and they videoed you in every room and at the end you could buy your video. But if you don't like interaction it was a bit intimidating as you felt you had to get involved. And at the end you sat and watched it. But I didn't class it as a ride it was a walk around thing a me jig

thefatone said:
Is it still about inside though? They were doing some work around April/May time in there, so it could've partially vanished?

I'm not 100% sure what is left now, as I believe Ents now have some of their green room in the old Nick building, but as I don't work at towers (or for ents :p) I'm afraid I have no idea which part they use.

I've [been] driven past that scrap yard dozens of times, but I never knew it featured a piece of Towers theming. I'm usually distracted by the tank tbh.

DiogoJ42 said:
I've [been] driven past that scrap yard dozens of times, but I never knew it featured a piece of Towers theming. I'm usually distracted by the tank tbh.

Well next time you go past have a look out for the Eiffel Tower!