• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Talbot Street Video Archive

Thanks mate. This is my new 'other' channel which is obviously less focused on towers, but I do throw the odd Towers thing on there, such as this :)

Edit - You might be in for a little stepping stone treat ;)

Last edited:
I've done an hour long exploration and history video walking around the gardens at Towers (including the lodge entrances etc). It could have easily been longer, believe me! Only just made it public this morning. Have a look if you fancy a gentle tour :)

Putting rides and guest experiences aside, Disney, Universal et al can only dream of having areas of their parks like this. It really does make Towers something unique and really special in the world.

I've done an hour long exploration and history video walking around the gardens at Towers (including the lodge entrances etc). It could have easily been longer, believe me! Only just made it public this morning. Have a look if you fancy a gentle tour :)

Hats off to you mate, for years I’ve wanted to do a video around the gardens but never got around to it. I thought I’d seen everything in the gardens but obviously not after seeing your awesome video.

Really really enjoyed watching that and yes I learnt a few things. Thanks so much for taking the time to put that together.

It’s just such a shame the gardens are in such a state now. And as for the water I fountains, given there are gravity powered and use no electricity I really don’t understand why they don’t open the valves and let them run

Thanks for your lovely comments Gary, they're very much appreciated and that kind of feedback spurs me on to do more similar stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed it and for even yourself to have learned a couple of new things. Much appreciated buddy :)

Thanks for your lovely comments Gary, they're very much appreciated and that kind of feedback spurs me on to do more similar stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed it and for even yourself to have learned a couple of new things. Much appreciated buddy :)

Excellent video. Really enjoyed that. Very informative even me, a veteran to the park learnt a lot in that video. Thank you.

Last edited:
Yup, good watch Mr Zola.
Add ons from the resident gardener.
Pineapples...
Decorative and otherwise.
Pineapples were a massive symbol of sophistication, exotic travel, health and wealth.
To grow pineapples on your estate back in the 1800's was something of great prestige, you needed a worker for a couple of hours a day, every day, to tend them, heating systems, glasshouses, and a complex ground heat generated by composting horseshit deep underground.
Hence the finials.
Oh, and the old planting...I can actually remember the canal running properly, traditional summer bedding all over the park and gardens, and another twenty or so pathways at the bottom of the fenced off valley, all the way down to King Ina's rocks.
The garden valley still looks sort of nice, but is a shadow of how it used to be.

Thanks to both of you for your nice words. Yes Rob, I covered the Pineapples thing a bit in my video about the Orangery that I put on my Towers Youtube channel a few months ago. Unfortunately I couldn't cover absolutely everything I would want to in this new video as I knew it was already going to be approaching an hour or something already anyway. I could probably do another video one day about the more outlying parts like Ina's Rock, the Rock Walk and even the stuff on the other side of the valley below Thirteen if there is still any access (unlikely) but that would need a whole other video and take more time. No way I was getting it all in this video, so just went for the main valley gardens etc here. Incidentally I do have old video of those parts but tge quality is not great (some of it is covered in older vids on the Towers channel). I was tinkering with the idea of doing a vid on several glasshouses that used to exist but are gone now. Yes, that's how sad I am, but I like it :laughing:

My last semi naughty walk was around the back of Thirteen around the top right of the garden vally, through the unlocked (and no keep out signs!) five barred gate.
There are still two clear paths and the old carriage drive round the back to the flag tower, but I bottled out after a few hundred yards.

Ah right. Been all over there back in the day but not for probably around 8 years or something. I stopped when they actually made a conscious effort to block things off and close gates and have no entry signs. Before that you could just go as far as you wanted if the paths weren't too overgrown. Had some of the best times exploring the outer limits :)

Came across this video earlier of Atlantic 252 breakfast show airing a competition for listeners to be the first to ride Oblivion one day before opening in 1998. Link should take you straight to the promo of the competition at 23:12, the competition lasts to just after 28 minutes in. As someone who used to listen to Atlantic 252 and regularly visit Alton Towers in the 1990s this is very nostalgic!