• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Emerald Park (Formerly Tayto Park), Dublin: General Discussion

Sam

TS Member
Ireland may be about to lose its status as one of the biggest European countries without a proper rollercoaster as they build what sounds like either an Intamin pre-fab or an RMC woodie for 2015.

Independent.ie said:
Tayto Park could get Europe's 2nd biggest roller coaster in 2015

The theme park will submit the proposal for the wooden rollercoaster to Meath County Council at the end of the month

TAYTO Park is planning to install what will be the second biggest roller coaster in Europe.

The amusement park is aiming to set up the ¿8.5m attraction in 2015 as a part of a programme including new rides, a new entrance and additional parking and facilities.

Owner Ray Coyle told the Herald that the proposal for the extension would soon be submitted to the relevant planning authorities.

PLANNING

"A planning application is ready for lodgement at the end of the month with Meath County Council," he added.

The roller coaster will be the second biggest in Europe in terms of speed and length.

"It will be 1.4kms long, and 32 metres at its highest point," said Mr Coyle, "and it will be able to take 700 people an hour."

There are two trains on the attraction and each of them has 12 seats. It also has a top speed of 105km an hour.

The wooden ride, which will take up about 2.8 acres, has to be built specially in America to suit the site, Mr Coyle revealed.

The only roller coaster that is bigger in dimensions is in Europa Park in Germany.

The owner hopes the attraction -- and the other works -- will be big draw for potential visitors. A total of ¿25m is set to be invested over the next year-and-a half, with the new developments scheduled to be completed by April 2015.

Mr Coyle said he was very pleased at how well the park in Ashbourne, Co Meath, had done since opening in 2010.

He revealed that visitor numbers had grown exponentially year-on-year. In its first year of business, 224,000 people went through its gates. But by 2012, that figure had risen to 350,000.

And last year, the numbers came just short of half a million, reaching 495,000, according to Mr Coyle.

"I am absolutely thrilled -- we believe that we can keep growing," the owner said.

"We are predicting a 12pc growth in visitor numbers this year, and the following year a 25pc growth in numbers because of the new roller coaster and new rides."

The businessman also revealed that there were even more attractions set to go live within the next few months.

RAILWAY

"In 2014, we have a railway line for children going in and a swing boat," he said.

"We will also have another water area and a pizza shack restaurant. All these will be open by Easter time."

An enormous amount of landscaping work is under way in relation to a lake that was built, he said, and coloured fish are also being stocked.

And in addition, the park has also seen new arrivals to its animal stock.

"Just before Christmas, we got in a Wasabi cat," Mr Coyle told the Herald.

He added two black cougars were scheduled to arrive at the park in about six weeks' time.

Around 4,500 people took out family memberships for Tayto Park in 2013, according to the attraction's figures.

Of course, Europa-Park do not have the 'biggest' rollercoaster in Europe. They could mean a woodie, but that isn't at EP either (it's be Colossos)

My only guess would be that they may have got mixed up, and it'll be the second biggest GCI in Europe...?

Sounds exciting though!

Re: 2015: Massive new woodie for Ireland

I am more delighted for the free EP advertising than the ride itself :p

Nah, just joking. A coaster? For Ireland? Yes please!

I too reckon this will be a GCI, because Wodan is Europe's biggest GCI.

It is only 40 minutes drive from Dun Laoghaire (Dublin) which is where the car ferry arrives from Holyhead!

OOH!

:D

Erm... What date is it? Its not April the 1st already is it?

First things first I had to check to see if the park wasnt a wind up? Tayto land? Owned by Tayto Crisps?? Surely had to be a wind up I thought...

Well no... However the park is tiny and its major attractions are a Giant Chess Board and a factory tour showing how they make crisps.

And they are going to build a giant woodie !!

Wow...

Bring it on.

Come on Tayto land, hope you get Keith Lemon to open it up.

This sounds very over ambitious. But if it happens, amazing. And could help convince Merlin to build one here.

700 per hour though...

Very surprising investment. Their population is only around 4 million - that is why they don't have a major park or ride up to now. It seems like an extremely risky business decision, but no doubt we will bail them out of the debt as we always do.

4m is enough to warrant one half-decent theme park.

Many parks, such as Knight Valley (China), Toverland (Holland), Freizeitpark Plohn (Germany) had practically no rides of note before they invested in a major GCI and all of their GCI coasters are critically acclaimed.

:)

Tom said:
Very surprising investment. Their population is only around 4 million - that is why they don't have a major park or ride up to now. It seems like an extremely risky business decision, but no doubt we will bail them out of the debt as we always do.

Denmark only have a population of 5.6m and they already have a Mega-Lite, a Gerstlauer launch, an Intamin launched, a Mack water coaster, a Gerstlauer bob, a Vekoma suspended, several wild mice, a Zierer free-fall, a Eurofighter, a B&M floorless, three woodies and numerous other coasters.

What's your point exactly? ::)

If only Ireland was just a short flight/ferry away from a population of 60m.

Wait, it is!

Who's for a road trip to Ireland in 2015 if this gets built, then?

I've only been on Woden at Europa for wooden roller coasters so I need to get myself on a few more.

I'm planning 2015 to be a massive theme park year for me

Sam said:
Tom said:

Denmark only have a population of 5.6m and they already have a Mega-Lite, a Gerstlauer launch, an Intamin launched, a Mack water coaster, a Gerstlauer bob, a Vekoma suspended, several wild mice, a Zierer free-fall, a Eurofighter, a B&M floorless, three woodies and numerous other coasters.

What's your point exactly? ::)

Denmark has a huge drivable catchment area from other countries and is generally much more visited than the Irish Republic. That is the reason why the Irish Republic does not have major parks and until now no major rides.

Blaze said:
If only Ireland was just a short flight/ferry away from a population of 60m.

Wait, it is!

Then can you explain why they decided not to build a theme park on the Isle of Man, which is an even shorter ferry/flight journey. That isn't how catchment works, driving distance is key unless an island is an incredibly visited tourist destination.

Ireland has by far a big enough population to support one medium-to-large sized park.

Well that came out of nowhere didn't it? Great news for Ireland if this goes ahead, I've often thought it must be one of the worst places to be a coaster enthusiast. Great news for us too as it sounds like it we'll have a massive GCI coaster a short ferry ride away.

Hopefully, if it's a success, it might convince Merlin that building a wooden coaster in the UK isn't such a stupid idea given some of the cultural similarities between Ireland and the UK.

When they say 12 seats, I really hope they mean 12 rows, which would make sense, as most GCI's have 12 rows. 12 seats would be a crime against throughput.

For the statement on "second largest", I don't think the comparisons are with Wodan. This has a length of 1.4 kms (around 4,600 feet) where Wodan is 3,444 feet long. In Europe, there is one wooden coaster with a comparable length, of 4,574 feet (Coaster Express at Parque Warner Madrid) which could be the comparison. The speed comparison, however, is probably with Colossos, which has a top speed of 109 km/h.

The wooden ride, which will take up about 2.8 acres, has to be built specially in America to suit the site, Mr Coyle revealed.

I have just picked up on this, has to be specially.... RMC I Beam track? If its a standard wooden coaster then its just built from timber on site. If its built specially anywhere else, then its either Topper Track, I-Beam or Intamin Pre-Fab.

Just a thought... RMC also have 24 seater trains.

Ireland has a theme park!? :p

Whatever the manufacturer is, this is rather exciting. To me it does sound like a GCI. If it is a success maybe it can help Merlin see that woodies do work!

:)

A quote from Meath Chronicle about this development:

A massive wooden roller coaster, which will be the second biggest in Europe, will be part of a €25 million expansion at Tayto Park planned for 2015.
The park’s owner, Ray Coyle, has confirmed that he will be lodging a planning application with Meath County Council shortly for a massive extension to the park near Ashbourne, which attracted almost half a million visitors last year.

The roller coaster alone will cost €8.5 million and will be a centrepiece of a development which will include new rides, a new entrance and additional parking and facilities.
The new development is expected to increase the workforce to 550 at peak times from the 220 which were employed there last summer.

The roller coaster will be the second biggest in Europe in terms of speed and length. “It will be 1.4km long, and 32 metres at its highest point, have a top speed of 105km/h and it will be able to take 700 people an hour,” he added.
There will be two trains on the attraction, each of them with 12 seats, and 25 per cent of the ride will involve travelling through loops.

The wooden ride, which will take up about 2.8 acres, has to be built specially in the United States to suit the site. The only roller coaster with bigger dimensions in Europe is at Europa Park in south-western Germany. The new Meath rollercoaster will be one of the 10 largest in the world.
Mr Coyle said that if planning permission is granted, he expects the new extension to be open for business in spring of 2015.

So out of US wooden coaster manufacturers, RMC and Gravity Group make woodies with loops inversions. It's probably not an GCI as Mack sort those out in Europe, and RMC are being sorted by Vekoma, so it's probably not an RMC either.

€8.5 million is just over £7 million. Compare this amount to an RMC, Outlaw Run cost $10 million, or just over £6 million. Voyage at Holiday World, a huge Gravity Group woodie, cost $8.5 million in 2006, or £6.3 million if it were built over here today.

Whatever it is, it should be pretty impressive! :)

...And if this gets built...Scotland will be the butt monkey of the theme park industry.

Ah well, as they say, the luck of the Irish.

BigAl said:
A quote from Meath Chronicle about this development:

A massive wooden roller coaster, which will be the second biggest in Europe, will be part of a €25 million expansion at Tayto Park planned for 2015.
The park’s owner, Ray Coyle, has confirmed that he will be lodging a planning application with Meath County Council shortly for a massive extension to the park near Ashbourne, which attracted almost half a million visitors last year.

The roller coaster alone will cost €8.5 million and will be a centrepiece of a development which will include new rides, a new entrance and additional parking and facilities.
The new development is expected to increase the workforce to 550 at peak times from the 220 which were employed there last summer.

The roller coaster will be the second biggest in Europe in terms of speed and length. “It will be 1.4km long, and 32 metres at its highest point, have a top speed of 105km/h and it will be able to take 700 people an hour,” he added.
There will be two trains on the attraction, each of them with 12 seats, and 25 per cent of the ride will involve travelling through loops.

The wooden ride, which will take up about 2.8 acres, has to be built specially in the United States to suit the site. The only roller coaster with bigger dimensions in Europe is at Europa Park in south-western Germany. The new Meath rollercoaster will be one of the 10 largest in the world.
Mr Coyle said that if planning permission is granted, he expects the new extension to be open for business in spring of 2015.

So out of US wooden coaster manufacturers, RMC and Gravity Group make woodies with loops inversions. It's probably not an GCI as Mack sort those out in Europe, and RMC are being sorted by Vekoma, so it's probably not an RMC either.

€8.5 million is just over £7 million. Compare this amount to an RMC, Outlaw Run cost $10 million, or just over £6 million. Voyage at Holiday World, a huge Gravity Group woodie, cost $8.5 million in 2006, or £6.3 million if it were built over here today.

Whatever it is, it should be pretty impressive! :)

By the process of elimination, you are presuming it's a GG then? :p