• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I think it's fair to say that JW's version of retirement is a little different to the average version.
I was thinking that; Wardley still does an awful lot for Merlin given he retired 9 years ago!

Well, technically, he retired the first time 20 years ago after Air was built…
If its true then I'm kind of disappointed. I don't feel were ready for SW9 yet. Doing this will likely mean no flats / filler rides or dark ride investment
Who’s to say that SW9, or the “exciting thing” that John is referring to, couldn’t be a dark ride? Or an indoor coaster of some sort, which could fill a similar niche if done in the right way?

I’m not going to complain if it is a roller coaster, though… particularly if it’s “the most exciting thing the industry has seen in the last 5 years”! A new coaster is rarely a bad thing, in my eyes!

I love JW but it’s worth remembering that he described the Smiler as a coaster that would be better than AIR, Oblivion and Nemesis when it was in development!

Exciting stuff and I’m sure whatever it is will be great if Wardley has any involvement in it, just a warning to perhaps not focus too much on the hyperbole at this stage as it may lead to disappointment!

For me they need to decide what they are doing with Katanga. Huge space pretty much wasted ATM.

I completely disagree - the walk from Sea Life through Katanga Canyon-Gloomy Woods-Forbidden Valley is the best area of the park aesthetically, and is the closest ATR has to proper theme park escapism, whereas Dark Forest, X-Sector etc feel a lot more like just rides plonked down wherever they will fit, Katanga is a coherent, well designed area of the park. Also, for 8-10 year olds it is the only area of the park that feels like it is specifically for them. It would be nice to have a family flat ride added somewhere in KC/GW but I think Alton Towers would be hugely worse off as a theme park if this area was completely redeveloped.

Far more pressing issues are around Dark Forest and X-Sector. Dark Forest has always looked pretty dire with Rita crowding the whole area and the Roller Disco area totally lacking in development, while X-Sector is just a mess at the moment with the Spinjam/Enterprise issue, and ever since The Smiler was built, the whole entrance into the area feels cramped and overcrowded. Neither of these areas have the landscaping or path design or escapism that Katanga Canyon manages to achieve. Just because an area doesn't have a huge thrill coaster in it doesn't mean it is a waste of space.

I completely disagree - the walk from Sea Life through Katanga Canyon-Gloomy Woods-Forbidden Valley is the best area of the park aesthetically, and is the closest ATR has to proper theme park escapism, whereas Dark Forest, X-Sector etc feel a lot more like just rides plonked down wherever they will fit, Katanga is a coherent, well designed area of the park. Also, for 8-10 year olds it is the only area of the park that feels like it is specifically for them. It would be nice to have a family flat ride added somewhere in KC/GW but I think Alton Towers would be hugely worse off as a theme park if this area was completely redeveloped.

Far more pressing issues are around Dark Forest and X-Sector. Dark Forest has always looked pretty dire with Rita crowding the whole area and the Roller Disco area totally lacking in development, while X-Sector is just a mess at the moment with the Spinjam/Enterprise issue, and ever since The Smiler was built, the whole entrance into the area feels cramped and overcrowded. Neither of these areas have the landscaping or path design or escapism that Katanga Canyon manages to achieve. Just because an area doesn't have a huge thrill coaster in it doesn't mean it is a waste of space.

I was meaning more that the signature rude the rapids is a shadow of the ride it was or could be, hence the waste of space.

Aesthetically I agree totally with your opinion. It could easily be the parks best area.

I love JW but it’s worth remembering that he described the Smiler as a coaster that would be better than AIR, Oblivion and Nemesis when it was in development!
I mean he wasn't totally wrong...

Anyways this is exciting news, I hope the Q&A gets released soon. I'm expecting SW9 to come in 2025 personally, but I could see planning permission be filed VERY SOON due to the fact it will probably have a lot issues with the locals/council, even moreso than Exodus at Thorpe.

I mean he wasn't totally wrong...

Anyways this is exciting news, I hope the Q&A gets released soon. I'm expecting SW9 to come in 2025 personally, but I could see planning permission be filed VERY SOON due to the fact it will probably have a lot issues with the locals/council, even moreso than Exodus at Thorpe.
Why would they have more issues now with the council/planning authority/locals than before?

Without hearing the q and a it’s difficult to pinpoint what was being spoken about and when. Someone said he counted through the secret weapons before talking about announcements being soon, but is that referring to Duels improvements or SW9? Hopefully it goes up soon

Why would they have more issues now with the council/planning authority/locals than before?
I didn't, Towers just seems like more of a pain in the arse than Thorpe for getting planning permission. I suppose it depends on whereabouts SW9 is gonna be I guess. *If* they wanted to do something in the valley for a 2025 opening for instance then they'd absolutely have to file permission soon.

Explained it better than I could.

That whole area of the park needs some love and some more life breathed back into it, not a wrecking ball to fit in yet another coaster.

P
Even if an absolute barn stormer of a ride like this was built I'd still not be happy as its papering over cracks elsewhere

I'm slightly excited though. Seems there is some big investment going into all the parks, hopefully we will see some in existing hardware too.

There were rumours circulating last year about a 3 b&m coaster deal weren’t there? Maybe that is Jumanji at chessington, the Nemesis re track and a new style B&M, which could be what this is?

There were rumours circulating last year about a 3 b&m coaster deal weren’t there? Maybe that is Jumanji at chessington, the Nemesis re track and a new style B&M, which could be what this is?
I'm calling it now... B&M Surf Coaster anyone?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.