• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
No reason a Mack like Icon can't be built in a shallow pit in numerous locations. Bit a new SW should not be a priority right now.

A cheap tin shed built in coaster corner with a themed façade with a rethemed Spinball inside would be cheap and could be marketed easily, with Frog Hopper removed and carosel relocated to an extended Cbeebies to keep the street clear in the new land would also be cheap and keep this Walliams land thingy from feeling like a slop of paint over CCL.

Less than £1m could get a decent flat with theming on the Ripsaw site. Similar on the old toadstool site in DF with another DF themed entrance way round next to the kiosk by the towers. Both could be heavily marketed as "new for 21" together.

Then in 22, retheme Charlie to a new Walliams ride.

All reasonably priced and far cheaper than another SW and I see no reason you couldn't get a reasonable return on investment over the next 2 seasons. Would round the park offer off nicely as well.

An SW to compliment the parks aging coaster lineup will be needed eventually, but not in the next 2 years. The investment needed would also suck any money away from other much needed improvements everywhere else on park.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Why is everyone so obsessed with replacing Duel. Personally I think they need to add another one maybe two dark rides if it’s size. Also a coaster in Katanga a new water ride and 3-4 good flats.

Something like cheetah hunt would work perfect in Katanga

Why is everyone so obsessed with replacing Duel. Personally I think they need to add another one maybe two dark rides if it’s size. Also a coaster in Katanga a new water ride and 3-4 good flats.

Something like cheetah hunt would work perfect in Katanga

I would like to see a new dark ride in addition to a new haunted house, but realistically if we are going to see a new large scale dark ride it’s going to be a replacement.

Mixing the early quality effects of the original Haunted House...giant ghosts, jumping jellyfish, strobe bats, glittery trommel etc, with a good mini launch coaster would make a fantastic family ride.

I don't know about any of you, but I personally think that we are going to see a planning application or at least some sort of indication of what SW9 could be at some point during 2020. All rumours seem to be pointing towards a 2022 opening, so I think we will see news sooner rather than later. There were indications that SW9 entered the early planning stages while Wicker Man was still being constructed, so given that the average coaster project probably takes about 4 years in development, I'd say that 2022 seems like a solid bet.

As for what I'm guessing SW9 will be; this has certainly changed since I created the thread back in November 2017. My original prediction was a Mack Water Coaster in Cloud Cuckoo Land; even though I think that the ride type is still a possibility, I think the chances of SW9 being in The World of David Walliams, as it's now called, are very, very slim.

In terms of my current prediction of ride type, I'm not entirely sure. I think that the water coaster is still a very valid possibility, however I'd almost say that Intamin seems like a more likely possibility than Mack. There are lots of unique things that Intamin has done or announced it can do with its water coaster model, and Merlin seems to have a stronger relationship with them as far as major projects go (numerous large Merlin projects have been built by Intamin, whereas Mack have only really done wild mice for the Legoland parks). Staying with the theme of Intamin, I've heard many rumblings of an Intamin Blitz Coaster, and I think this could be absolutely fantastic. There are many places in the park where one could potentially go, and I think that it would give the park the really ground-breaking, modern launch coaster that it currently lacks (Rita is certainly modern to an extent, but I wouldn't say it's overly groundbreaking, even within the confines of the UK). A ride experience like Taron or Taiga with Wicker Man-style theming would be sublime, in my opinion!

As for my thoughts on the location; again, I'm not really sure. I've heard the removal of Rita at the end of the 2020 season thrown around as a possibility numerous times (in order to make way for SW9 to be built on that site for 2022), and I definitely think that this is the rumour with the most momentum at present, but I'd say there are also other valid possibilities. Now that the Blade removal rumours seem to have resurfaced, I'd say that the top bit of Forbidden Valley is quite a strong possibility, as that area hasn't recieved a major ride since Air (now Galactica) in 2002, and it was very nearly used for SW8. If the rumours prove to be true and Blade is removed over the closed season, then I could see a very similar scenario to what happened after The Flume closed, where signs promoting SW9 go up around Blade's site and around that top area of FV before the 2020 season starts.

So, what do you guys think SW9 could be?

I was just reading back through a news article from the Meet the Maker event for Wicker Man on TowersTimes, when I stumbled across this quote from the designers in the Q&A portion:
TowersTimes said:
Wicker Man has been intended as a change of direction for the Secret Weapon canon of rides at Alton Towers Resort. The team behind the ride recognise that there will only be so many world’s first they can do (although future world’s first attractions will never be completely ruled out), therefore the focus is now on delivering world beating attractions and solid ride experiences with Wicker Man in particular being about stripping things back to what people originally loved about rollercoasters.
I think that this could potentially indicate the sort of ride we will see for SW9. When making predictions, I don't think we should necessarily rule out existing technology, because it would seem that the park now wants to make better quality rides out of the SW canon as opposed to merely unique rides. What are you guys' thoughts?

They seemed to drop the 'worlds first' for Wicker Man after everyone pointed out it was wrong though.

Personally, whilst in a minority, I'm not sold on flat rides. They typically have a repetitive motion and fit better in a travelling fun fair than a world class theme park.

Something along the lines of Derren Brown would be a huge flop in my view. My God, it's boring.

Even the best dark rides, tend to be great, the first time, but lose their appeal with rerides. Great coasters are enjoyable no matter how many times you ride them due to the g forces and airtime.

Call be a sadist, but my first choice would be a water ride that dumps literally gallons of water all over you (far more than Valhalla), whilst providing airtime too. Of course the fun would be achieved , by the degree of wetness varying from ride to ride. You may get of lightly, or you may get 50 gallons of water all over you. Sets up a hilarious cycle of revenge. You laugh at your follow riders, they laugh at you. John Wardley understood this.
Not a water coaster though, they are over too quickly, but a world beating flume, a worthy successor to the previous flume which was truly world class in it's first few years. let's say 6 minutes, plus duration.

Failing that a new terrain hugging airtime coaster from B and M or RMC would be amazing.

The B and M' s in particular are a fantastic long term investment. Whilst Nemesis is pretty much unbeatable, I would welcome a second B and M invert. As it is not new technology, a SW level budget could stretch to a huge ride.

I’ve been racking my brain for what I think would fit in well with Towers and what would be SW territory.

We haven’t got an over vert drop, a log flume, or a wing. We have inverted, launched, drop, dive, stupid number of inversions, flying and wooden.

I’d love to see an incredibly well themed or designed wing coaster, like swarm on steroids but I honestly don’t think it’d fit with geography of the park.

Maybe multi-launch?

I think SW9 will probably be a top manufacture in the iris of B&M. That said my basis for this is purely off the fact we’ve gone for a gerst to a GCI, GCI in my opinion being a considerably better manufacturer.

As much as I’d love a replacement to the all mighty flume, I can’t see them building one after they’ve just ripped the last down for Wicker Man, and we’re in the UK and not even allowed water falls on the rapids.

Multi-launch would work given the height restriction but that also hasn’t stopped them before with crazy ideas.

I think the fact they seem to be focusing much more on quality then worlds first gives me hope, as despite what people may or may not think about WM, having a coaster with a pre show in the UK?! That’s awesome.

SW has always been coaster, not flats or darks so I can’t imagine it being that.

Whatever comes of SW9 I’m sure it’ll be incredible. I’m hoping a little for a wing coaster, but I can see it being either another inverted or a seated looping coaster.

/endrant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From personal preference I would absolutely love a heavily themed indoor coaster, something like a modern take on the Black Hole (not necessarily a space theme, in fact probably not a space theme.)

I would also like a water ride but for reasons discussed I can’t see it being that.

I'd be very surprised if Towers haven't seriously considered Intamin's new swing launch model. Could work quite well in Blade's pit area.

I'd be very surprised if Towers haven't seriously considered Intamin's new swing launch model. Could work quite well in Blade's pit area.
This idea isn't a Secret Weapon, however it's a possibility and a do-able for the park with a little investment.

An Intamin Gyro Swing located somewhere on the park. There will need to be foundations dug, but nothing that will break the bank. The Gyro would begin underground where it is loaded and sweep back and forth over ground and under (because of the height issues). The top would be covered off as normal ground and people would be able to view the Gyro coming in and out of the ground as it swings with the supports anchored above ground.

What about a Guerst family coaster like "Pegasis Express" at Park Asterix? As parks increasingly look towards the lucrative family market i feel that would be great, as both families and enthisisasts alike seem to rate it very highly

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.