• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Personally I think the ideal SW9 would be a water coaster in place of the rapids, with some kind of world first element and heavy theming to fit in with Katanga Canyon. While making this a 1.2 coaster would be nice for kids slightly too old for cbeebies land, I think that the recent investment into The World of David Walliams and less recently cbeebies land would mean catering to younger audience is unlikely. Plus, as people have said, the rapids is currently in an awkward point in its history since its been toned down due to the DM incident, either it needs to be returned to its former intensity or be removed. A new thrill coaster in its place would work well in the area as RMT is aimed at slightly younger kids.
However I do agree that before SW9 comes to the park it needs some serious improvement in terms of maintenance, entertainment and updates.

It's a fab idea and one that many of us have had similar ideas about. The only issue is to rip out the rapids ride entirely won't be easy or cheap. In fact I could imagine the work need to get that site prepped for a water coaster would be a nightmare.

I think we'll get a total revamp of the rapids ride in the not too distant future maybe within the next 3-4 years. They are such a staple ride in a Theme Park's ride list it would be such a shame to lose it, especially the best one in the country. . Merlin probably waiting for the inquiry at DMP to be over etc. I have hope we will get new boats, new audio, updated theming eventually.

I do think a water coaster would be great though for the next coaster project. Just not sure where you'd put one.

It's a fab idea and one that many of us have had similar ideas about. The only issue is to rip out the rapids ride entirely won't be easy or cheap. In fact I could imagine the work need to get that site prepped for a water coaster would be a nightmare.

I think we'll get a total revamp of the rapids ride in the not too distant future maybe within the next 3-4 years. They are such a staple ride in a Theme Park's ride list it would be such a shame to lose it, especially the best one in the country. . Merlin probably waiting for the inquiry at DMP to be over etc. I have hope we will get new boats, new audio, updated theming eventually.

I do think a water coaster would be great though for the next coaster project. Just not sure where you'd put one.

I 100% agree that the removal of the rapids would be costly and difficult, however ideally I would think of that area as an ideal place for SW9 as the rapids does seem to be on its last legs. That being said, I realise this hope is unrealistic.

While I agree that the loss of the rapids would be a shame for the park, I would argue that the loss of The Flume was much more of shame, but the addition of The Wickerman made it absolutely worth it. Therefore, removing it for the addition of SW9 would make sense.

Saying all this, I realise this is all my own speculation, and hope for a water coaster at Towers, and don't necessarily think this is a realistic expectation for SW9.

I don't think the rapids are "on their last legs" at all. The park has turned some parts off due to advice following the Splash Canyon incident. But some aspects likely can go back on such as the wave machine, but others like squirters will probably never be seen on a UK rapids ride. I don't see a need to remove the rapids at all, although more proper theming (particularly the tunnel) would be perfect.

I enjoyed the rapids when I went on them last October and wouldn't be desperate to see them go at all.

In terms of SW9 I think there are a few sites that jump out more than this (mainly the overflow car park next to galactica or some of the space around Thirteen) however without being anything like an expert on this isn't draining the rapids and working within the basic layout a whole lot simpler than excavating an area which doesn't contain a ride just now?

Even more bold would be to remove both the rapids and runaway mine train (as long as alternative family level attractions were backfilled elsewhere) and introduced something on an even bigger scale.

So many ways all this could go, be interesting to see how it develops in the years ahead.

Thought it might be beneficial to mention MMM are now recruiting for a Creative Lead role. Within the job description it cites that the CAPEX cycle has been revised to 5 years. Not sure whether this is the case for all RTP’s or whether this is specific for the RTP’s this new Creative Lead will take over.

Unsure whether COVID may have also pushed this back further, meaning 2020 isn’t classed within the 5 year CAPEX cycle. Suggests SW9 could be 2023/24 if accurate.

‘’
  • Drive innovation and new product by creating “compelling propositions” which are on brand and deliver the creative vision aligned with 5 Year cap-ex cycle.’’

Interestingly, a 5 year CAPEX cycle would also indicate that Thorpe might be due fairly soon; by the 5 year cycle, they’re due in 2021/2022, but that might be a bit soon based on the fact we’ve seen no construction. Maybe 2023 for Thorpe?

Out of interest, isn’t “Creative Lead” the role that the likes of John Burton, Bradley Wynne, Candy Holland and John Wardley have held within MMM?

EDIT: Armed with this new info, I’ll change the topic title.

The next major CAPEX investment needs to not be a coaster.

Alton needs diversity, and the coaster range is about the only thing diverse in its lineup.

All-rounder family rides are where they're lacking. A new major dark ride would be a wonderful investment. A fantasy themed trackless ride would suit the park's brand to a T.

Ive said it before and ill say it again - Water ride to match Valhalla!

Move spinball and put it there or Sack off rita - I think they will want another big coaster though, a proper worlds first to try to claw back more people

Ive said it before and ill say it again - Water ride to match Valhalla!

Move spinball and put it there or Sack off rita - I think they will want another big coaster though, a proper worlds first to try to claw back more people

Spinball isn't liked due to it being a little intrusive to the views of the towers around the lawns, I doubt anything else of that height will go there. If Spinball goes then it will be low buildings or smaller CBeebies type rides.

The next major CAPEX investment needs to not be a coaster.

Alton needs diversity, and the coaster range is about the only thing diverse in its lineup.

All-rounder family rides are where they're lacking. A new major dark ride would be a wonderful investment. A fantasy themed trackless ride would suit the park's brand to a T.

Yes the park needs a new ride on the scale of the Haunted House / Duel, but in addition to Duel rather than instead of.

I would put it behind Cuckoo/Walliams area as taller and louder wouldn't be possible but hiding a building in that corner would be good, in the same way that the Haunted House building isn't really visible in the park.

Also of course in the smaller investments they need to bring back fixed live entertainment, not just wandering entertainers but a show in a building that isn't CBeebies.

I'd love to see something like Arthur. Not a thrill ride (as I actually don't think Alton Towers need another rollercoaster right now), but a ride that's enjoyable for families and which adults can also appreciate too. Combined with a good theme it would be great. It also crosses off the dark ride and indoor attraction list.

Sadly I think cost would would be too prohibitive.

I think they will want another big coaster though, a proper worlds first to try to claw back more people
Wasn't wicker man supposed to be a steer in a different direction for towers when it comes to coasters. That wasn't a world's first and has arguable been one of Towers best ever investments

I actually have no idea where sw9 could go. There doesn't seem to be any stand out spaces in the park where it could fit. Everyone says the carpark behind galactica but highly doubt that'll be used

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.