• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Whilst wickerman is an ok coaster, it’s raves about more in these parts as it’s an AT Woodie

Let’s not hold back, it’s half the ride it could have been and isn’t actually that great. I wouldn’t even class it as the best Woodie in the Uk
Go Away GIF

In seriousness though, I assume that you are basing that opinion on just the bare layout itself? Yes it is not everyone's cup of tea, but the theming makes it. Without that, it would just be a good-but-average coaster, but with all the theming, pre-show, music etc it's a fantastic overall experience in my opinion. :)

I've done 3 water coasters (Speed, Poseidon and DVH) and only Speed warranted actually being a coaster in any way. Even then it's only good because it goes what feels like far too fast for a boat. Unless you can magically make one aerodynamic and smooth, no thanks. Also an SW being such an investment should be a throughput machine (see Smiler for the horror if it isn't)

Imagine it being an actually good coaster AND having good themeing. Radical idea I know.

The two things are not mutually exclusuve, and whatever way you dress it up it is in essence a pretty crap woodie.
Not towards the end of the day when it's absolutely flying around the track. 🙂

I personally disagree even from a track and train layout standpoint. Wicker Man is my #5, and it would still be my #5 even if it were on a car park. I think it's a phenomenal ride; really fast-paced throughout, a fair amount of airtime, some fun turns, fairly comfortable as woodies go, and an overall exceptional wooden coaster!

I'd say it's my favourite coaster at Alton Towers, my favourite wooden coaster in the UK by some distance, and a very close second to Wodan in terms of my worldwide woodies!

Not towards the end of the day when it's absolutely flying around the track. 🙂

Changing (generally improving) throughout a day is a totally natural thing for a woodie, but it shouldn't be essential for a vaguely decent well paced ride.

I'm not saying it's not enjoyable, but even at its best in the scheme of things it is weak. A really good woodie also gets better when run in...

Go Away GIF

In seriousness though, I assume that you are basing that opinion on just the bare layout itself? Yes it is not everyone's cup of tea, but the theming makes it. Without that, it would just be a good-but-average coaster, but with all the theming, pre-show, music etc it's a fantastic overall experience in my opinion. :)

Totally layout only. I’m of the belief ride theming should be a given for the UK’s premier theme park.

I've done 3 water coasters (Speed, Poseidon and DVH) and only Speed warranted actually being a coaster in any way. Even then it's only good because it goes what feels like far too fast for a boat. Unless you can magically make one aerodynamic and smooth, no thanks. Also an SW being such an investment should be a throughput machine (see Smiler for the horror if it isn't)

A boat is aerodynamic isn't it? It is designed to cut through a thick medium that is water. So that makes it very aerodynamic in air.

I would love to see a water ride at the park. Not a water coaster, a proper replacement for the flume.

To be fair, with their being safety concerns with water rides that Merlin clearly take very seriously now, poor UK weather most of the time and the fact that they already have a water ride, I can see why the bosses might not see a new water ride as a priority. I wouldn't rush out to buy one if I was in charge.

If we're gonna get a water ride can we have it as a dark ride with adjustable splash levels?

I'd rather we got an airtime machine or a non boat dark ride than a water ride though.

To be fair, with their being safety concerns with water rides that Merlin clearly take very seriously now, poor UK weather most of the time and the fact that they already have a water ride, I can see why the bosses might not see a new water ride as a priority. I wouldn't rush out to buy one if I was in charge.
At least with a water coaster it has lap bars for the coaster part so there isn’t the same concerns as a rapids.

If they weren't dumb they'd just give us Alton's version of Ride To Happiness, ez selling point, first looping spinning launched coaster in the UK and best of all it's a class ride. Where it'd go who knows, but put it somewhere, anywhere.

That does not count lmao
Yep but it’s why Galactica was the worlds first rollercoaster fully dedicated to VR, as others only had a few rows doing VR.
Having the UK first entirely spinning launch coaster isn’t really a big selling point and they can’t claim it is the first because Enso is.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.