• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If they did do an XTREME Spinning Coaster, they could say it was the fastest or longest looping spinning coaster in Britain if they exceeded 53mph or 3,750ft in length! Or perhaps even the world! (I can’t remember off the top of my head the statistics for RTH and Time Traveler…)

Smiler is longer than Icon/Enso, and Smiler, Oblivion and Rita are all the same speed or faster, so I think it could be done!

I've done 3 water coasters (Speed, Poseidon and DVH) and only Speed warranted actually being a coaster in any way. Even then it's only good because it goes what feels like far too fast for a boat. Unless you can magically make one aerodynamic and smooth, no thanks. Also an SW being such an investment should be a throughput machine (see Smiler for the horror if it isn't)
Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld Orlando is a fantastic example of what can be done with watercoasters.

Something along those lines at Alton Towers would be absolutely great.

Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld Orlando is a fantastic example of what can be done with watercoasters.

Something along those lines at Alton Towers would be absolutely great.
I’ve said a few times now that a water coaster would be a fantastic addition, and it would fill a huge gap in Merlin’s U.K. portfolio. It would be the UK’s first water coaster would it not? There’s your usp right away.

I’m just not sure where it would go. By default it would need a large body of water meaning the ride would take up a vast amount of space. Air car park is the obvious location I think - they could even incorporate Galactica into the area and give it its utopian theming it should have had. Some sort of Utopian themed land focussed around air and water?

I’ve said a few times now that a water coaster would be a fantastic addition, and it would fill a huge gap in Merlin’s U.K. portfolio. It would be the UK’s first water coaster would it not? There’s your usp right away.

I’m just not sure where it would go. By default it would need a large body of water meaning the ride would take up a vast amount of space. Air car park is the obvious location I think - they could even incorporate Galactica into the area and give it its utopian theming it should have had. Some sort of Utopian themed land focussed around air and water?

Why does everybody say this when the ride density of the rest of the park is so poor? I know they have planning permission problems, but there's just 4 rides in this massive area

1652359050328.png

For a bit of a comparison for just how huge this whole area is the entirety of BPB is just barely larger than this

1652359211641.png

Alternatively this is Phantasialand

1652359422171.png

Why does everybody say this when the ride density of the rest of the park is so poor? I know they have planning permission problems, but there's just 4 rides in this massive area

1652359050328.png

For a bit of a comparison for just how huge this whole area is the entirety of BPB is just barely larger than this

1652359211641.png

Alternatively this is Phantasialand

1652359422171.png
During The Smiler’s conception, various other coasters were planned too. One example was a planned stand up B&M coaster to go around Katanga Canyon which was alleged to feature a huge drop going deep underground, but various people put a stop to the project because they said it would never get planning permission. You can’t just bulldoze a load of trees at Alton Towers - even for Thirteen they were only allowed to have runaway track go into the forest and no show buildings or mechanical equipment.

I think currently Alton towers have enough coasters and when you look at the other 3 theme parks:
Legoland 2020
Thorpe 2012
Chessington 2004
When Legoland new coaster opened in 2020 it was the 1st new coaster since 2004 which also has left the park.
Thorpe new coaster in 2024 the 1st in 12 years.
Chessington 2023 coaster the 1st in 19 years.

In the past 20 years Alton Towers have added 7 new coasters compared to Thorpe 5, Legoland 2 and Chessington 1 but the others have invested in flat rides and dark rides more than the towers have. Like on the flat ride thrill front currently only the blade is available to ride with enterprise looking like it’s coming to the end of its life.
Before they open up a new SW coaster or even a coaster they need to sort out 2 flat rides for X sector, 2 flat rides or 1 flat and a dark ride in Forbidden valley and 1 flat ride in the dark forest. Even the dark ride options at the park needs updating or replaced before another coaster is added.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.