• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If Enterprise is indeed dead I'd honestly like to see Alton Towers get both a 4D Free Spin and Screaming Swing, as unlikely as it is, to make up the loss of support attractions over the years. A Screaming Swing would compliment X-Sector's lineup well and a Freespin would definitely bridge the gap of new a new thrill coaster if SW9 is a dark or water ride. Even if they're just the smaller models for both attractions, I believe Merlin could develop something unique in terms of effects or theme to make them stand out from the others.

If they also got a new incarnation of Sub Terra in whatever capacity, they will certainly have a solid support lineup of attractions that not only bridge the gap between the family rides and major coasters but large queue soakers as to not have the queues of the major coasters drastically inflated if one of them were to suffer significant downtime.
Yeah I would be very happy with a Screamin Swing and 4D Freespin if they were added. 🙂

For those interested, here’s the spec for a 4D Free Spin. Based on the size requirements, perhaps someone could do that trick on Google Maps to see if it would fit in the area? I don’t know how 😀

7E124F6B-7327-456D-814E-EE16CE83A99F.jpeg

For those interested, here’s the spec for a 4D Free Spin. Based on the size requirements, perhaps someone could do that trick on Google Maps to see if it would fit in the area? I don’t know how 😀

7E124F6B-7327-456D-814E-EE16CE83A99F.jpeg
That's the larger model, but I can't seem to find a spec sheet for the smaller one.

I’ve had a look on Google Earth, and the combined area of Enterprise and Spinjam is around 52m long and around 32m wide, excluding the areas of Spinjam’s queue that go under Oblivion.

The larger S&S Free Spin model would go right up to the top of Oblivion’s queue line in terms of length if the top of Enterprise and Oblivion’s curve round were used as the top end of the site.

While I don’t know the specs of the smaller model, the larger model would not fit unless they did some sort of very creative diagonal placement cutting through the middle of X-Sector, starting at the top end of Enterprise’s area and ending at a point roughly parallel with Oblivion’s “Don’t Look Down” mural in the plaza. This wouldn’t be feasible, though, as it would be built on pathways and would most probably block off Oblivion’s entrance without some sort of very radical path solution.
EDIT: While there are no exact stats for the smaller model, I did have a look at the construction site for Tumbili at Kings Dominion on Google Earth, and that would just about fit within the area… take from that what you will.

Last edited:
If the park got a free spin (I think it’s unlikely) I think it would be a better fit in forbiddon valley in the blade/ripsaw area. The height of them
Would be too tall (even the smaller model is 112 ft high ) and would need sinking down below ground a bit, which can’t see them doing easily in the space available in x sector. Maybe a screaming swing in x sector and free spin in forbiddon valley.

S&S also do an 80ft double shot tower (pleasure island used to have one) and although they are small in height I have been told they offered a good ride experience) a couple of these towers could work in x sector.

The Best thing for X Sector is a very unique but thrilling flat ride, from a big company or a small Amusement company, it doesn't matter.

I think we don't need another SW for at least 5 years. We had an 8 year break between air and Th13teen, I can't see why we can't do that again. There arent enough unique types of Roller Coasters or elements around presently, so if SW9 was to open in 2 years time, it'd use a very tacky world first element that feels like nitpicking.

I do think theres a potential for a screamin swing and I would not be opposed, would make a lot of sense actually. Towers have nothing like it, although not unique it has a decent throughput, certainly better than most flat rides anyway; it would be a visual spectacle and something they could use in an ad. There is only one other in the UK so it’s not like they are really common either.

The Best thing for X Sector is a very unique but thrilling flat ride, from a big company or a small Amusement company, it doesn't matter.

I think we don't need another SW for at least 5 years. We had an 8 year break between air and Th13teen, I can't see why we can't do that again. There arent enough unique types of Roller Coasters or elements around presently, so if SW9 was to open in 2 years time, it'd use a very tacky world first element that feels like nitpicking.
Absolutely agree with this. Get some flats back, reopen the mothballed indoor attractions and then start looking at a new world class thrill coaster.

I still think it should be a high thrill water coaster though 😁

One challenge to that, however, is; would such a ride even need a world’s first? The industry is growing less USP-driven, and the Merlin creatives said when Wicker Man opened that the aim from that ride onwards was simply to build good quality attractions rather than aim for a world’s first every time.

Another challenge to that is; if the park does innovate something new, it won’t be something you already know about, surely? Some of the previous SWs were innovated bespokely by the park, and weren’t ride types that were even public knowledge until the park announced them. Why couldn’t that be the case again? Why would it necessarily have to be a “unique type of roller coaster or element” that we already know about?

I wouldn't mind them replacing Enterprise with a new HUSS Enterprise, I'm a fan on them, and they're quite the eye candy.

Anyway, back on SW9...
I did say if they wanted another enterprise they could have Thorpe park model as that’s roughly 20 years younger than Alton’s.

It’s tough to think where the next SW9 could go but with the 3 non SW coasters in the park
Runaway train 30 years old
Spin ball 18 years old
Rita 17 years old
And then you look at the SW coasters
Nemesis 28 years old
Oblivion 24 years old
Galactica 20 years old
Thirteen 12 years old
Smiler 9 years old
Wickerman 4 years old

With Nemesis getting 80-90% new supports and track for there 30th birthday could we be seeing the Runaway train or Oblivion removed for the next big SW coaster as with the corkscrew and Nemesis lasting both 28 years how much time have both of theses got left at the park.

I did say if they wanted another enterprise they could have Thorpe park model as that’s roughly 20 years younger than Alton’s.

It’s tough to think where the next SW9 could go but with the 3 non SW coasters in the park
Spin ball 18 years old
Rita 17 years old
Nemesis 28 years old
Oblivion 24 years old
Galactica 20 years old
Thirteen 12 years old
Smiler 9 years old
Wickerman 4 years old

With Nemesis getting 80-90% new supports and track for there 30th birthday could we be seeing the Runaway train or Oblivion removed for the next big SW coaster as with the corkscrew and Nemesis lasting both 28 years how much time have both of theses got left at the park.

Those powered coasters seem to be able to go on for years. If you look at some of the other ones in the UK you can see that they look to have a very long lifespan.

Scorpion Express/Runway Train at Chessington has been going since 1987.

Jormungandr/Buffalo Coaster has also been going since 1987.

Flying Fish started out as Space Station Zero way back in 1983.

I’m guessing that they don’t put anywhere near as much stress on the track as a steel thrill coaster does. RMT will probably still be cho chooing along in another 30 years time.

Spin ball 18 years old
Rita 17 years old
Nemesis 28 years old
Oblivion 24 years old
Galactica 20 years old
Thirteen 12 years old
Smiler 9 years old
Wickerman 4 years old

Wash your mouth out. If Oblivion goes anywhere then that’s it for me.

I think Spinball might be the most likely coaster to go if they were to get rid of any of them any time soon.
I’ve always thought that Spinball would work great if it was rethemed and relocated to TWODW. Stick it in one of the mothballed buildings (may have to be more than one) and theme it as a disco / party attraction similar to Flávio’s.

I’ve always thought that Spinball would work great if it was rethemed and relocated to TWODW. Stick it in one of the mothballed buildings (may have to be more than one) and theme it as a disco / party attraction similar to Flávio’s.
That would be a good idea! I do enjoy Spinball, I just don’t see it getting any love at towers. The ride area and the ride itself looks a state and it’s the only coaster with no merch what so ever.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.