• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The 2017 General Election

Not a fan of the Tories or the DUP but the Tories needed to go somewhere and the Lib Dems made it pretty clear that they were unavailable for such a thing. They found out how toxic it made them in 2015.

I suspect the Tories would have opted for a Lib Dem coalition once again if it was on the table - they were certainly gunning for one before they got their accidental majority in 2015.

Last edited:
John Major wants a minority government
It didn't work particularly well for him in the dying days of his administration, plus I am less than convinced you could get the Queen's speech through without the deal, there would be no incentive.

I've always kinda thought the whole system needs an overhaul to make sure situations like this don't happen. For a start I feel dissolving not just parliament, but parties themselves for a month after a term, would mean individuals can re-group with others who share their views on policies at the time of election. Effectively forming new party "groups" every five years, preventing split-parties and people forming stubborn alliances with parties voting for them every year regardless. It would force people to really think about what they're voting for on a policy basis.

;)

I've always kinda thought the whole system needs an overhaul to make sure situations like this don't happen. For a start I feel dissolving not just parliament, but parties themselves for a month after a term, would mean individuals can re-group with others who share their views on policies at the time of election. Effectively forming new party "groups" every five years, preventing split-parties and people forming stubborn alliances with parties voting for them every year regardless. It would force people to really think about what they're voting for on a policy basis.

;)

How do you force the dissolution of parties? They are private groups not an organ of the state