• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

Up to 7 people apparently on the first flight out (on a 767). So an excellent showcase of a carbon footprint on top of the various other issues this decision has surrounding it.
What's even worse than I expected, using an old large plane rather than a more modern plane, crazy.

Did my first trip yesterday out of the UK since Brexit and since Covid. Went to Mallorca for a few days. Didn’t quite know what to expect but here in the UK and Palma, covid is over. No masks no distancing nothing so if you haven’t had it or are wary about catching - don’t fly!

As for entry into Palma, absolute doddle. Scan passport at auto booth like in the UK and for first time ever got a stamp when we arrived and a stamp when we left in the passport. Don’t care what anyone says, having the stamp in my passport made Brexit totally worthwhile 😂

On a serious note though - I didn’t experience any hassles at all, no huge queues, no baggage delays, nothing at all.

Did my first trip yesterday out of the UK since Brexit and since Covid. Went to Mallorca for a few days. Didn’t quite know what to expect but here in the UK and Palma, covid is over. No masks no distancing nothing so if you haven’t had it or are wary about catching - don’t fly!

As for entry into Palma, absolute doddle. Scan passport at auto booth like in the UK and for first time ever got a stamp when we arrived and a stamp when we left in the passport. Don’t care what anyone says, having the stamp in my passport made Brexit totally worthwhile 😂

On a serious note though - I didn’t experience any hassles at all, no huge queues, no baggage delays, nothing at all.

I have travelled into America 5 times, I once walked straight through customs because we where the first flight into the terminal. Other times waited 3 hours to clear customs.

One doddle of a trip does not a trend make.

I have travelled into America 5 times, I once walked straight through customs because we where the first flight into the terminal. Other times waited 3 hours to clear customs.

One doddle of a trip does not a trend make.
Is it also not something that it will depend on the airports, some airports know they are going to get a lot of British tourists Mallorca being one of them so they will adapt to make it easier while @Alsty experience at Basel would make sense since the majority of it's flights come from Schengen zone and very few from the UK.

My queue to immigrate into Baden-Baden was quite short. But on the way out of Germany, we had to go through another set of border checks and through to an “international gate”.

And getting out of London Stansted upon arrival back into the UK took 1.5 hours… although I’m not sure that Brexit had anything to do with that one. I think it was just busy.

Although I’m interested as to why Europeans can still get Fastrack immigration into Britain and vice versa. I thought scrapping freedom of movement was one of the key clauses of the Brexit deal?

I asked the UK border force guards not to let me back in when I got back to Bristol last week. Sadly for me, and probably all of you, they did.

I found it quite sad having my passport stamped into the Netherlands. Also the ad-hoc Union Jack stickers they had to slap on the passport lane signage. I also don't want one of those blue nostalgic passports. The fact that they were one of the first announced "benefits" of our new found "independence" makes them feel quite tasteless and tacky to me. Like I should be expected to wave it around at Border control whilst sticking my middle finger up shouting "I'm British, so F#£@ you!".

I asked the UK border force guards not to let me back in when I got back to Bristol last week. Sadly for me, and probably all of you, they did.

I found it quite sad having my passport stamped into the Netherlands. Also the ad-hoc Union Jack stickers they had to slap on the passport lane signage. I also don't want one of those blue nostalgic passports. The fact that they were one of the first announced "benefits" of our new found "independence" makes them feel quite tasteless and tacky to me. Like I should be expected to wave it around at Border control whilst sticking my middle finger up shouting "I'm British, so F#£@ you!".

The irony being that we could've had blue passports anyway like the Croatians (I think) do.

Like most current policies they're solely targeted at anyone over a certain age.

Don't agree with either of those.
I have never said that I thought the Tories had done anything good with brexit.
World trade as a general philosophy is better than a local closed shop with additional complex rules, which is what the old common market had become.
And trade and leisure transport are separate matters, the clear division between wants and essential needs in the developed world, often leads the less developed nations to rely on the western markets...and to suffer when western markets wobble.

I've just had my new blue passport, it's very poor quality, I vastly preferred my old red one. Also I don't like the design at all, it's all a bit poorly made and bad looking.
Passport stamping I don't see as a problem, in fact I think it will be nice to look through your passport and see where you've been. I do think the EU and the UK should introduce a scheme that means that regular visitor's don't need there passport stamped. But that should be agreed mutuallly

I've just had my new blue passport, it's very poor quality, I vastly preferred my old red one. Also I don't like the design at all, it's all a bit poorly made and bad looking.
Passport stamping I don't see as a problem, in fact I think it will be nice to look through your passport and see where you've been. I do think the EU and the UK should introduce a scheme that means that regular visitor's don't need there passport stamped. But that should be agreed mutuallly
I agree the new passports are poor quality, and look more black than blue. When Lisa got her new one, I thought half a page was missing.

While its nice to have something to look back at, I would much rather not have to queue to get a stamp and save myself time while travelling. Making a scrapbook is a much more fun memento to remember past holidays abroad then a stamp.

The passport control at the EuroTunnel was not fun on the way out, and acceptable on the way home. For me, the infrastructure has not caught up with the changes yet. And it was the worst part of the drive.

Six years on from the vote, and Brexit is still causing problems. As far as I can see, Brexit has not delivered any benefits, and is stopping the government from focusing on what is important. The only good thing that I can see that the government has done over the last six years, is the vaccine rollout, and Brexit did not help with that. What else has the government achieved in the last six years?

There are simply no benefits of Brexit, certainly not for the masses. Sure a few small groups of people may have benefitted somewhere along the line, and some people may now feel better in themselves because we have supposedly "re-taken control" (whatever that means).

I genuinely cannot think of one tangible benefit that Brexit has had on the population as a whole.

It's a load of bollocks and always will be.

Six years on from the vote, and Brexit is still causing problems. As far as I can see, Brexit has not delivered any benefits, and is stopping the government from focusing on what is important. The only good thing that I can see that the government has done over the last six years, is the vaccine rollout, and Brexit did not help with that. What else has the government achieved in the last six years?
They've achieved wasting stupid amounts of money and that's about it. The vaccine rollout was good and a much faster start than the EU however the EU soon caught up and if anything it was only really a few weeks difference.

I genuinely cannot think of one tangible benefit that Brexit has had on the population as a whole.
Every policy has winners and losers, in fairness.

The problem with a policy as far reaching as [hard] Brexit is it fundamentally changes absolutely everything and in the short term that is very likely to be negative in every instance. This is further exacerbated by a worldwide disaster which is still causing huge shockwaves, making it difficult to tell for sure which is one and which is another (obvz not true with queueing for an immigration desk you were previously able to bypass, but definitely true of supply chain issues more broadly).

The benefits, if ever they appear, will be for those negatively affected by the freedoms that came as being part of the EU - pay/conditions for those in roles where labour would previously be imported. It'll take time tho.

[I'm a remain voting left-winger FWIW, I don't celebrate Brexit at all and I think ultimately we are too insignificant a country to prosper without the EU or something similar, I just think that we are where we are now and jamming the reverse lever in the next 5-10 years would only lead to further division.]