• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

I'm a teacher, work 50 to 55 hours a week based on contractual weekly hours of 32.5 per week paid 39 weeks a year.

There's no bonus nor overtime either.

But let the bankers have their riches so the exchequer has more to pay us with. Yeah right.

Everything is Labour and the EU's fault anyway.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I still struggle to understand how leave won, and doubt the majority of people who voted for it will ever feel any real benefit from it. Small business trading in Europe are always going to feel the biggest negative impacts, as they are not going to be able to manage the additional paper work.

Any company wanting to export to abroad is always going to have to follow the rules and standards of those countries. Having less complex rules just in the UK does not help or the savings in less complex rules is lost by additional transport costs of sending goods further afield.

Hopefully over the next 5/10 years we moved towards a softer version of Brexit, and we can have another vote to join and come back.

If anyone has any success stories for Brexit, feel free to share as I must of missed them (The vaccine roll out does not count).

Brexit going well. All that money we'll have.Screenshot_20221011-071638_Chrome.jpg

Source: BBC News.

Despite most of the right-wing media in the country telling us all why Brexit would be a wonderful thing and we should all go out and vote for it, it's surprising to see an article in The Telegraph written by the assistant editor called "Project Fear was right all along".

In fact it goes on to say that actually, things are worse than even Project Fear predicted.

"Downbeat predictions by the Treasury and others on the economic consequences of leaving the EU, contemptuously dismissed at the time by Brexit campaigners as “Project Fear”, have been on a long fuse, but they have turned out to be overwhelmingly correct, and if anything have underestimated both the calamitous loss of international standing and the scale of the damage that six years of policy confusion and ineptitude has imposed on the country"

This coming from a paper that has bestowed the virtues of Brexit for over six years. Wow.

The Telegraph (paywall)
The Telegraph (12ft paywall bypass proxy)

Last edited:
Evidently there's not a lot you can do now when any attempt you make to deal with it is thwarted by the human rights lobby groups and lawyers. The Rwanda plan was drastic but potentially would have acted as some sort of deterrent, but a last minute array of human rights court cases thwarted that. I believe that Brexit was the last throw of the dice at trying to stem the flow of immigration somewhat, but I've now come to the conclusion that we'll never be able to get it under control so that levels are sensible. Now, apparently around 1 in 7 people in the country weren't born here. That's not sensible or sustainable. It's obvious that our services and infrastructure can't cope. Not enough homes, roads, doctors etc etc to go around. Not racist, just fact. But yes, I wouldn't bother voting for anyone who says they can do anything about levels of immigration again. They can't and won't stop it, even if they wanted to. The best you can do if you want a better quality of life is to move away from heavily populated areas like the big cities etc. You may have more chance of getting a doctors appointment and not being stuck in traffic all your life that way. Of course, you'll have to pay a lot for your home, not least because we're over-populated. That's what happens when you have around an extra 10 million people in the country on top of people who were born here though, I suppose. Who knows?

Actually, turns out it's more like 1 in 6 people.

If you create safe routes and access to enter the country legally then it removes those who are essentially human trafficking and causing a lot of the issues.

Wonder why our infrastructure can't cope. Definitely not because of years of under investment and poor design choices. I mean its not like we are reliant on other countries for energy right?

Neither myself or my wife would've been born here if not for grandparents emigrating over. And you could probably say that for a far higher number than 1 in 6 people who would be exactly the same.

The Rwanda plan was abhorrent and yet another waste of perfectly good public funds that could've gone towards actually improving the country. But gotta get rid of them foreigns I guess.

Housing market is screwed thanks to a system that doesn't help 1st time buyers (lol £40k deposit which is 2 years salary for most) and a market with no houses available because most are owned by landlords and rented for ridiculous fees. If a suitable level of good quality council housing had been built a lot of problems across the board could be solved.

End of the day we were ALWAYS in control of our own immigration laws. Chose not to bother because of being fairly reliant on immigrant labour (NHS especially so but also the other low end jobs) and because it was a good stick to beat to rally the electorate. Now without the excuse of Brexit the government have made a rod for their own back and unsurprisingly made a complete hash of things. Again.

Are we talking about refugees or economic migrants? They are not the same thing.

Refugees are not "invading" our country. We're actually quite low on the number of refugees per 10,000 people running at 8.4

FgfQ0vmXgAMLagJ.jpg

And the reason it's become a crisis at immigration centres is because our government has failed to process them

FgbjmArXkAQc1pK.jpg

In terms of Rwanda policy, that's nothing but red meat to the likes of Daily Mail readers. It is costing an extortionate amount of money and for what? To send a handful of the refugees to Rwanda, in return for a handful of theirs... yes, they're sending us some in return, which you don't see mentioned much.

The irony with Brexit, which is what @AstroDan was alluding to, is prior to leaving the EU there was scope for distributing them across Member States using the Dublin Agreement. Now we're on our own and the problem is totally on us.

If you're talking about economic migrants, then in the last 10 years the number of people who were born outside of the UK increased from 13% of the population to 16% of the population. That's not a massive increase over the course of a decade.

In any case the whole point of the census is to allow the government to plan and ensure there is adequate infrastructure to support everybody. If there's problems getting doctors appointments or everyone stuck in traffic that is a failure by the government to invest in those services.

Lower growth than the Eurozone and US, worst recession in 100 years, unemployment to double, high inflation, loss of trade with nearest partners, friction in Ireland, more boats than ever arriving in Kent.

How are the Brexiteers doing now?

Britain everybody.

Just to add as well, Isreal have a scheme of sending refuges to Rwanda. It has had no reduction in the number of people trying to enter Isreal.

There is a simple way of fixing the problem, put a processing centre in France, that way you can complete the application process there, it knocks the wind out of the sails of the smugglers and you collect biometric data so if anyone is denied and gets smuggled over you know who they are and can send them back. A big issue at the moment is these folk don’t have documents and refuse to say where the originated from, and you can’t make someone stateless. If you have that data from the French processing site you can at least return them to France.

And funnily enough France where fine with that plan, it’s the swivel eyed loons in the Tory party who don’t ever want to work with Europe for bonkers ideological reasons that we haven’t taken them up on the offer.

I find it sad (if slightly ironic) that all these people who voted for brexit to keep foreigners out have now seen an increase in economic migration as well as an increases in illegal migration.

To those that did…. You where lied to!

Israel also like deporting US made missiles to Palestine so the last thing we need to be doing is following in their footsteps of shipping off people right wingers don't want off to questionable counties.

The solution is indeed with asylum centres in France. But our government decided we longer like the French and fell out with them on our behalf. This must be what they meant by one of the "opportunities of Brexit"- the opportunity to fall out with your like minded neighbours for no logical reason whatsoever. But at least we've got our blue passports back, have the opportunity to go back to the dark ages of imperial measurements and can put "UK" stickers on our cars rather than GB ones folks!

Lower growth than the Eurozone and US, worst recession in 100 years, unemployment to double, high inflation, loss of trade with nearest partners, friction in Ireland, more boats than ever arriving in Kent.

How are the Brexiteers doing now?

Britain everybody.

It’s quite a childish argument to put all of that at Brexits door.
The Eurozone is seeing higher inflation than the UK and are also close if not in recession as well.
All developed countries are struggling for growth as China has this obsession with zero Covid and keep closing down manufacturing and as we know we now make very little here, we rely on services.

Would we be better off in the EU right now as a country? Unlikely and I’m someone who voted remain.

It’s quite a childish argument to put all of that at Brexits door.
The Eurozone is seeing higher inflation than the UK and are also close if not in recession as well.
All developed countries are struggling for growth as China has this obsession with zero Covid and keep closing down manufacturing and as we know we now make very little here, we rely on services.

Would we be better off in the EU right now as a country? Unlikely and I’m someone who voted remain.

Dan didn’t say the eurozone wasn’t suffering inflation, he said the UK had higher inflation that the eurozone and the US.

I mean pretty much every economist says the UK is performing the worst of the larger economies and that the primary driver of the higher inflation is brexit, that’s not childish it’s just counting.

According to my Googling, Eurozone is 10.7% inflation versus our 10.1%. I won't split hairs but that is roughly comparable.

The ultimate paradox is that lower immigration AND huge economic benefits were promised as possible simultaneously. That is a huge lie as any trade deals with India and anyone else would always have required increased immigration numbers from those countries in order for meaningful deals to be signed.

It's the handling of Brexit that is the travesty, but people appear to have rightly now ditched the Conservative Party at long last. It is a shame that people were conned in the way that they were (and yes some were naive also but not all), but it is done. At least many/most those responsible for the mishandling and misleading are now seemingly destined to be booted out.

The UK should put more effort into the CANZUK trade deal. Aus, NZ and Canada are keen for it but the UK seems to be dragging its feet