• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

The xenophobia across the press is disgusting currently with France being attacked left, right and centre.

The Torygraph running stories about 'avoiding unwelcoming France' and the Mail running with French 'laziness'.

Honestly? Makes me embarrassed to be British.

This damn country needs to own its problems.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I skipped by one article blaming the French for the delays because they are 'insisting' that passports be stamped on Exit.:D

Whilst in work today I browsed a few articles in relation to what took place at the weekend, mainly to get an update of current situation as I am traveling via Folkestone on Thursday. The more I read the more I came to the conclusion that the likes of Daily Mail & Express online (Ye I was bored earlier on, so needed a laugh :p)are nothing more than parodies with some of the hyperbole they churn out, especially over Brexit; The comments section is something else, full of their rabid followers who think the EU & French especially, forced straight Bananas on us, and waiting for a whole day to get out of the country is a small price to pay for 'taking back control'. I despair:mad:

An article about the value of Sterling. Said article entirely fails to mention the 17% drop in Sterling the day after the referendum which continues to hamper Sterling's value today.

Brexit remains taboo.

Definitely an elephant in the room these days.

The Express recently ran a headline about medicines struggling to get through the supply chains without a hint of irony.

The goverment survey on changing to imperial units closes tomorrow. Link here. If like me you consider this to be a complete waste of time that will achieve nothing but extra cost for importers, exporters and less consumer choice then I recommend you fill it in. There are no options to "keep it unchanged" or "keep metric" so you need to put this in the other comments areas instead.

The goverment survey on changing to imperial units closes tomorrow. Link here. If like me you consider this to be a complete waste of time that will achieve nothing but extra cost for importers, exporters and less consumer choice then I recommend you fill it in. There are no options to "keep it unchanged" or "keep metric" so you need to put this in the other comments areas instead.

Nothing says "we did a public survey but with loaded questions so we get the answer we want" quite like that.

Is the government’s plan to introduce imperial alongside metric, or to literally replace metric with imperial?

If the former, then I don’t really know what difference it will make.

If the latter, then I definitely don’t support their idea. I’d rather they kept metric.

Is the government’s plan to introduce imperial alongside metric, or to literally replace metric with imperial?

If the former, then I don’t really know what difference it will make.

If the latter, then I definitely don’t support their idea. I’d rather they kept metric.

If a manufacturer has to add imperial to their packaging then unless they only sell in the UK (very few) that means creating a new production line with the imperial branding on it (or a separate batch run for UK customers). This increases cost to the producer, they will then pass on that cost increase to us. Or they will stop selling in the UK.

If a manufacturer has to add imperial to their packaging then unless they only sell in the UK (very few) that means creating a new production line with the imperial branding on it (or a separate batch run for UK customers). This increases cost to the producer, they will then pass on that cost increase to us. Or they will stop selling in the UK.
Oh… isn’t that a tad counterintuitive during the cost of living crisis, where people are already struggling?

I did think of costs when I was filling out that survey (I have now filled out the survey). When it asked about whether I felt costs would increase, I said the following:
Yes. European and other international products are unlikely to adjust their labels to specially fit British laws without incurring further cost, so prices will likely increase.

I hate how the Government would rather waste time and money changing the units on products than actually doing the right and decent thing. Presumably they're trying to move our eyes from the actual problems in the desparate hope of making us forget how much damage they've done by the time we reach the next election. 2 1/2 years to go...

It's yet another example of pretty pathetic posturing for political point-scoring. There is no reason for it other than to pander to particular sections of the media and rabid right-wing public who see the EU as being evil for 'getting rid' of imperial measurements, when AFAIK, that couldn't be further from the truth. It just made more sense to have metric only, but from what I recall, there was nothing stopping manufacturers from including imperial alongside metric - I mean, they have both on bottles of milk, for example.

These thoughts from Emily Maitlis (former BBC News presenter) following a lecture she gave, article taken from the Guardian.

"But journalists still clung to an old idea of impartiality and balance – that both sides must get an equal say, and let the viewer decide – which is effectively now being weaponised against them. To have a pro-Brexit economist debate a pro-remain one on air was not “balance”, she said, if economists generally were so overwhelmingly against leaving that it took hours of ringing round to find one lone maverick in favour. Broadcasters now reject such false equivalence on topics where scientific consensus is overwhelming, from climate change to vaccination, so why not in economics?"

Yes. We can blame the media for giving the leave camp a 50/50 share from the outset when at the start leaving the EU was only an issue for a small proportion of the country. But giving them such a huge amount of time suddenly shifts the narrative entirely.

What next? Let's decide if being gay should be illegal and make sure the Beeb give 50% of the airwaves to homophobes?

I hope karma hits these Charlatans hard.

Interestingly, it is thought that Liz Truss may trigger Article 16 if she becomes PM: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liz-truss-brexit-article-16-b2153360.html

This means that the UK can unilaterally suspend the entire Northern Ireland protocol or suspend parts of it.

If she does this, it is thought that she will do it within days of becoming PM so that she can do it before the 15th September deadline for legal action on the Brexit deal.

Interestingly, it is thought that Liz Truss may trigger Article 16 if she becomes PM: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liz-truss-brexit-article-16-b2153360.html

This means that the UK can unilaterally suspend the entire Northern Ireland protocol or suspend parts of it.

Well they can try, but as this is an international treaty British law only goes so far and the EU will almost certainly win in international court and will cripple our economy with a trade war for good measure.

No it doesn't. It allows for limited safeguarding measures but they must be limited in scope and duration, and the measures must be those which least disturb the functioning of the Protocol. It most certainly doesn't allow for it to be unilaterally disregarded, despite how many times Brexiteers claim it does.

Also there must be a month's discussions before any such action can be taken, and then the other party can take whatever "rebalancing" measures they consider appropriate.

I'm not sure why sabre rattling and a potential trade war with our nearest neighbours is even on the table but the lunatics have clearly taken over the asylum at this point.

Read all about Article 16 here.