• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Delayed Deutschland Debacle 2024

Jonathan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Helix <3
What’s going on here? Balsdon’s doing a trip report? Isn’t that one of the harbingers of the apocalypse? :p

Jokes aside, I thought it was about time I did a trip report, as it’s been quite a while. I think this might be my first trip report since my first visit to EP way back in the summer of 2012! It was my first trip to EP since October 2017, and some attempts since then were aborted thanks to the pandemic and other holiday plans (which also ended up falling through). This trip saw myself, @Leigh, and @Poisson head over to Germany to ride some questionable coasters (and a Sunkid Butterfly or two), get on board some old planes, and see a frustrating search for some Bum Bum. We had a @MattyH join us the day before we flew out (flipping work screwing him over), and @Mike turned up at some point as well. Sit back, relax, and enjoy. I’ll review the new creds/rides I did at each place, as well as some additional comments where needed. Photos are all mine unless otherwise stated. Leigh and Poisson will be sharing their thoughts on each day as and when posted, including the silly things they did on the Tuesday.

Day 0 – Thursday 28th March (The travel down)
Not much to say about this, other than the journey down from Congleton to Southend was a bit perwigglous. The weather wasn’t great, for starters, and Google Maps decided to send me up via Leek and Ashbourne (and then cutting down to the A50 along the A515) instead of my expected route going along the A50 from Stoke. Still, it meant I avoided Stoke at rush hour, so that was a bonus. To be honest, any journey that avoids going anywhere near Stoke is a bonus in my book. After leaving my car in Lutterworth at my uncle’s place, where I was then picked up by Poisson, we made our way down towards Southend, with some weather that genuinely felt apocalyptic at points. Some fine Essex cuisine Maccies was consumed on the outskirts of Chelmsford before we arrived and promptly corpsed in our hovel Premier Inn.

Day 1 – Friday 29th March (Silly things in Essex)
Waking up the following morning, we were greeted by a delightful view of one of Southend’s most charming car parks. I mean, it could be worse.

1718368325512.png
How delightful. | Photo credit: Poisson

After checking out and wandering along the seafront awaiting the arrival of Holland and Leigh, the four of us ventured forth into Southend in search of a fine dining establishment for breakfast like the classy people we are. Oh, wait, we went to Wetherspoons. :p It was…fine, I guess, as Spoons go. Food consumed, we sallied forth for our first stop of the day – Adventure Island.

Adventure Island
I’d never been to Adventure Island before, and wasn’t hugely sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised to see that the place was relatively quiet, which did us a bit of a favour. Not a huge amount to say about the place, really.

Rage
I mean, it’s a Eurofighter. Acceptable. Bit janky in places, but I’ve been on far worse rides in the past.

2024-03-29 12.08.35.jpg
I've been on worse.

Barnstormer
A custom Zierer Tivoli. Somewhat forgettable, really.
Green Scream
Another Zierer Tivoli. Not too bad, as these coasters go.
Kiddi Koasta
A Zamperla special. Feels like a slightly extended Wacky Worm, and nothing to really write home about.
Mighty Mini Mega
The first Pinfari of the trip. As Pinfaris go, it’s possibly one of the better ones I’ve ridden, but that’s really not saying much.

Total ride count for Adventure Island (+5 creds):
  • Rage x1
  • Barnstormer x1
  • Mighty Mini Mega x1
  • Sea Dragon x1
  • Kiddi Koasta x1
  • Sk8boarda x1
  • Whip x1
  • Adventureville x1
  • Smiles per Galleon x1
  • Green Scream x1
  • Spooksville x1
Following Adventure Island, we then headed on to Clacton. Our route there took way longer than planned due to the main roads being clogged, involving us taking some admittedly quite scenic back roads, but we reconvened at a Wendy’s near Colchester for lunch. My first visit to a Wendy’s, and I was rather impressed – one of the best fast-food burgers I’d had for quite some time. Then came Clacton.

Clacton Pier
So, Clacton…Oh dear. The town just feels rather run-down in general (I’ve been told that nearby Jaywick is worse, presumably making Clacton itself feel like Alderley Edge or something), and the pier isn’t much of an improvement. The wood on the pier itself is rather uneven in places, the toilets down the far end are grim (seriously, the urinals look ancient), and…Well, I just don’t like it.

Looping Star
This looks to be the first looping Pinfari I’ve done (we’ll ignore Indiana Jones at DLP, as while that was a Pinfari design, it was actually built by Intamin), and…Ouch. This was painful. One of the worst coasters I’ve done. It actually caused me a bit of pain on my right hip for a few days afterwards. Not fun.

1718368757547.png
PAIN. | Photo credit: Poisson

Wild Mouse Coaster
It’s a DPV Rides Wacky Worm. Nothing more to say, really.

Total ride count for Clacton Pier (+2 creds):
  • Looping Star x1
  • Wild Mouse Coaster x1
Next up came a short walk along the sea front to Clacton Pavilion.

Clacton Pavilion
This is tiny, and like the other places we visited, it was completely dead. Just the one cred here, despite what RCDB said at the time (though this was subsequently corrected by Poisson). The mini-golf course is fun, and the pirate ship is decent, though we weren’t exactly expecting the restraints to be released by a screwdriver. I’m not even joking. The ride op genuinely got a screwdriver out of the cabin to release the restraints. 😂

Shark Coaster
An SBF Visa Wacky Worm that requires the op to push the train out of the station isn’t good. What’s also not good is the drop out of the station itself, which just feels really violent.

Total ride count for Clacton Pavilion (+1 cred):
  • Shark Coaster x2
  • Crazy Golf x1
  • Pirate Ship x1
We then went over to Felixstowe to the fair that was on the sea front, but…No creds, and nothing worth riding. Following dinner in a nearby Greene King pub (which was perfectly fine), Holland went back up to Lowestoft, and the three of us made our way to Stansted for a few hours’ kip at the Premier Inn before even more shenanigans.

Last edited:
Day 2 – Saturday 30th March (Trains, planes, automobiles…and tanks?)
Following an alarm call for 2:30am (when I woke at 2am – not great), the final packing was done before getting on the bus to the terminal. Checking-in hold baggage was relatively painless, and then came the one thing I was dreading. Airport security. I was apprehensive of Stansted, given it’s owned by Manchester Airports Group (my former employer), but I didn’t need to worry. Even had an ace around my neck in the form of my sunflower lanyard, but I didn’t really need to use it. Useful to have on hand just in case, though! We got through in about ten minutes, which was great, and then made a pretty quick beeline for Wetherspoons for that age-old 4am airport tradition – cheap breakfast and a pint.

2024-03-30 05.04.30.jpg
Kopparberg and a bacon sandwich - not a bad breakfast IMO.

Our gate was eventually called, which was mercifully not a huge walk away, though it was still a faff to get there. Boarded the 737-800 operated by PovertyAir, and took off pretty much on time to Frankfurt am Shed.

2024-03-30 06.51.23.jpg
Our chariot awaits to take us to some creds.

We would’ve arrived a bit more ahead of schedule if it weren’t for an issue on the runway meaning we had to enter a holding pattern for a short while. Landing was very smooth indeed – a stark contrast to when Poisson and I flew into Eindhoven in 2015! Got through border control (after walking through fencing that seemed to resemble that of a prison), picked up suitcases (very easy – they also ended up coming out right next to each other, which definitely helped!), and then went to sort the hire car out. We’d been given a Peugeot 5008, and…Oh dear. I didn’t drive it, but I was reliably informed that the 1.2L 3-cylinder engine was weak, and the gearbox was somewhat clunky. 😬 Still, it at least got us from A to B, and we did manage to max it out at 191km/h. We weren’t going to EP first of all, though. Oh no. Instead, we were going to do something very different indeed – visit Technik Museum Sinsheim.

Technik Museum Sinsheim
I want to address the credit first before going into detail about what else is at Sinsheim.

Butterfly
The concept of the Butterfly is simple. Car gets winched up a hill, goes back down the hill and up the other side, eventually coming to a stop. It’s a cred in my book, and is surprisingly good fun, while also being borderline self-operable.

1718989592720.png
Yes, it's a cred. No, I will not be taking any further questions on this. | Photo credit: Poisson

Total ride count for Technik Museum Sinsheim (+1 cred):
  • Butterfly x1
Now onto the main reason for us being there. Sinsheim is a museum with a huge collection of military hardware, some trains, plenty of road vehicles (including old F1 cars and an exhibition on the history of the 24 Hours of Le Mans), but its main thing is planes. A number of them are mounted to the roof, including an old Air France Concorde and an old Aeroflot Tupolev Tu-144, both of which can be boarded for viewing. It remains the only place in the world where both aircraft are on display together.

2024-03-30 11.13.06.jpg
Utter filth. 😍

They’ve also got some racing cars there, including a Tyrrell P34 and Michael Schumacher’s first F1 car.
2024-03-30 12.58.40.jpg
2024-03-30 13.11.09.jpg
F1 history right here.

To say we underestimated just how much was there is very true indeed – we could’ve easily spent the whole day at the place! If you’re stopping here for lunch, then I can recommend the schnitzel, which is very good, and the regionally-produced wine I had was also lovely. After a great few hours, the time then came to drive to EP. We played the ever-traditional game of Spot Silvia (which Poisson won – you git), we pulled into the hotel car park behind Hotel Santa Isabel, and I genuinely got a bit teary. After a very long six-and-a-half years, I was finally home. ❤️
2024-03-30 15.57.17.jpg
Back in heaven.

Check-in at Hotel Castillo Alcazar was quite simple, and after dumping our luggage in our room, we made our way onto the park. Not much to say, really, other than it was a good few hours getting a handful of rides in, which included dragging Leigh onto BENCH, because reasons. It was admittedly tempting to make that his first-ever ride at the park, purely because it would’ve been funny, but no – they insisted on making it Euro-Mir. Way to spoil my fun, guys. :p

Total ride count for EP on 30th March:
  • Euro-Mir x1
  • BENCH x1
  • Schweizer Bobbahn x1
  • Silvia x1
  • Baaa-Express x1
  • Dancing Dingie x1
Then it came to the evening meal at Silver Lake Saloon, which is always a winner. I’m at the point now where I don’t even need to look at the menu here too much – it’s the default of the Ranger’s Best and a Lynchburg Lemonade for me every time.
2024-03-30 20.06.22.jpg
2024-03-30 20.32.57.jpg
Such a damn good meal.

Superb as always, and I might’ve ended up a little bit tipsy thanks to @Craig's influence… :p One part of the entertainment was slightly questionable, but other than that, it was such a good way to kick off our time at EP. And yes, for those of you who are interested, they did play ‘Country Roads’ at one point. Final monorail of the day was caught back to the hotels, and bed called before Sunday - our first full day on park.