• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Fifty Shades Fad.

I'm not denying that there are more sexual novels than Fifty Shades of Grey. There are plenty. I was more thinking that, due to the publicity that the novel in question as got, children would be more likely to pick it up.

If you go off my logic then yes, the Bible should be in the adult section. ;) But it's not as it's part of a religion and many people see it as fact and as what actually happened. (I'm agnostic by the way so I don't really believe most of the Bible). There would be uproar by Christianity if the Bible was placed in the adult section. :p

The Bible has significantly more publicity that Fifty Shades of Grey, and when do you see children, who aren't raised to be Christian or Jewish, ever reading it?

Firstly let's put straight some common misconceptions - Sex isn't dirty. Knowing about sex doesn't make you lose some ridiculous fictional notion of 'innocence'. That idea has it's origins within historical religious myths about purity being tied to God's blessing (the whole sex after marriage rubbish).

I don't want kids to have sexually explicit material thrust upon them when they are not ready to cope with it, but if a young person is ready to explore that side of human culture (something as I repeat, we would not exist without), then they should have the freedom to do so, and the freedom to openly discuss these ideas without the cultural taboo crushing down on them.

I was brought up in a house where it was made impossible to talk about anything of this nature, and it did me no good. I was confused and ashamed of my feelings, and had a real phobia of sexual activity throughout my adolescence.

I think that is far sadder than adults having to address their pathetic embarrassment about their children being sexually active.

Nick said:
The Bible has significantly more publicity that Fifty Shades of Grey, and when do you see children, who aren't raised to be Christian or Jewish, ever reading it?

But when is The Bible on a huge, publicised display at the front of a shop that families go in to? I think you'd have to go looking for The Bible in WH Smiths, I've certainly never happened upon it when browsing. That's the difference, for me. A child is much more likely to be drawn to a big display at the front of a shop, and ask difficult questions.

Maybe I'm biased. I had a very sheltered childhood. I was completely unaware of sex until I was taught about it in science lessons at high school. I know things are different now (I'm making myself sound ancient, I'm 29!) My parents would have been mortified if I'd picked up a book like 50 shades of grey as a child and asked questions about it. I'd hate for them to have been put in that position :/

"Protecting kids from bad language"

Ha, am I the only one that remembers being a kid? We all knew pretty much all the 'bad' words in English and most of their meanings before we were 10.

Nick said:

Oh yeah, it's had a load of publicity. But has it really been in the news recently due to topics of a sexual nature that has lasted for a while? Correct me if I'm wrong here by the way.

Generally, many children aren't religious. According to Wikipedia (not the most reliable source I know), from a 2006 survey of 2604 children, 78% of these say that religion isn't that important, so they won't be too interested in the Bible obviously. I'm not sure of statistics for younger children.

Anyway, back on topic now (properly), I don't see an issue with me suggesting that a novel containing sexual scenes should be on a higher shelf so it can't be accessed by children. Or at least make sure staff members are on hand watching to make sure that children don't pick it up if that's any better for you?

Andrew said:
Nick said:

Oh yeah, it's had a load of publicity. But has it really been in the news recently due to topics of a sexual nature that has lasted for a while? Correct me if I'm wrong here by the way.

Generally, many children aren't religious. According to Wikipedia (not the most reliable source I know), from a 2006 survey of 2604 children, 78% of these say that religion isn't that important, so they won't be too interested in the Bible obviously. I'm not sure of statistics for younger children.

That's what I was saying. The Bible is possibly the most famous book ever written, therefore is hugely popular and widely read, therefore having huge publicity. However, children don't read it that often. Therefore, publicity, in terms of books at least, has very little effect on children.

Blaze said:
"Protecting kids from bad language"

Ha, am I the only one that remembers being a kid? We all knew pretty much all the 'bad' words in English and most of their meanings before we were 10.

I didn't! Honestly, I got told off for saying "fart"! My parents chose to bring me up that way and I didn't hear 'bad' words at the school I attended. I'm aware that I'm probably in the minority, but I do think that if parents choose to bring their children up without being exposed to 'adult' themes, they should have that right, and should be able to take them into high street shops without worrying that they are exposing their kids to inappropriate material!

Fair enough, but you can't deny that a child may overhear people talking about this book that they read. Or possibly, due to children being curious, they may be stood with a parent next to the shelf and pick up the book as they often do with items at the supermarket.

Even if it's only a small percentage of children in bookstores who comes across these types of novels, surely something should be done to stop them from doing so just in case?

Amy_D said:
but I do think that if parents choose to bring their children up without being exposed to 'adult' themes, they should have that right, and should be able to take them into high street shops without worrying that they are exposing their kids to inappropriate material!

So as long as they don't open the book and start reading it aloud to their kids, they'll be fine right?

Sam said:
Amy_D said:
but I do think that if parents choose to bring their children up without being exposed to 'adult' themes, they should have that right, and should be able to take them into high street shops without worrying that they are exposing their kids to inappropriate material!

So as long as they don't open the book and start reading it aloud to their kids, they'll be fine right?

As long as children don't open the book and start reading it then they'll be fine. ;) This would be easier if it was on a higher shelf!

Andrew said:
Sam said:
Amy_D said:

As long as children don't open the book and start reading it then they'll be fine. ;) This would be easier if it was on a higher shelf!

Precisely my point :)

But then what if a short adult wanted to buy the book, and couldn't reach it- being on the top shelf and all? The embarrassment of having to get someone to grab erotic fiction for you must be horrendous. Surely you must think of the short people!

This is a joke, by the way.

Nick said:
But then what if a short adult wanted to buy the book, and couldn't reach it- being on the top shelf and all? The embarrassment of having to get someone to grab erotic fiction for you must be horrendous. Surely you must think of the short people!

This is a joke, by the way.

Hopefully this person has the intelligence to ask for a staff member to get it down in secret. ;)

Just adding to the joke by the way

Or maybe parents should actually look after their children in bookshops...? Just a thought. Mainly because, as an adult who likes to read novels aimed at adults (not this crap), I don't want to see all shops become sanitised, bland, 'family-friendly' BS zones.

Quick! Burn out the eyes of the childer, before they witness this heinous scandal and turn into promiscuous, sex-crazed maniacs before they hit double figures!

So tell me then, what is the problem with having this in adult fiction - not "adult" fiction, but a section where grown ups know where grown up books will be, and we leave front of house not riddled with adverts and big signs shouting EROTIC FICTION - which is not on the display that Andrew pointed out.

This display I refer to, took up the whole of the front of the shop, had loads of signs, and was frankly ridiculous. You had to walk THROUGH it to get in.

And yes, the adverts for it everywhere DID as I keep saying, and you repeatedly ignore, result in kids far too young getting hold of a book that is firmly aimed at adults.

If there is shame in adults going into an adult section to chose adult books, then there exists the issue in society of "prudish" NOT as a parent going into a FAMILY BOOKSHOP (and yes Sam, it is A FAMILY STORE because I had to walk THROUGH THE EROTIC FICTION TO GET TO THE CHILDREN'S BOOKS) and being hit with marketing for for this particular book.

You are not a parent, do not mix with other parents or see the effect this stuff has on children, clearly have not read the research that is not Daily Mail reactionary as you seem to deem anything that would infringe upon your ludicrous notion of what real liberalism is - basically, I get to ram anything I want in your face and you have no rights to disagree nonsense from what I can garner - and therefore your view is purely a subjective one.

I choose not to judge the issues that you face every day in your fight for gay rights, so I find it shockingly abhorrent that you pay so little care to the fact that society today pays little heed to a child's right to remain a child!

Kids are growing up way to fast, and missing out on the innocence of youth, BECAUSE of our present culture, not in spite of it. Kids are given sexual education lessons very young nowadays, and rather graphically as I had to view as a parent - this is scientific, biological, and does not involve unrealistic expectations of girls/boys men/women as this literature does, as well as general media. It is a huge social issue, creates issues into teenage life far more than it ever did before, and it is getting continually worse.

Whilst the attitude towards it remains this remiss, so the problems will remain.

This has nothing to do with right wing newspapers, religion, or any other frankly ridiculous arguments that are being bought into this, and has everything to do with the fact that how society targets, pressures, and exposes children far too early nowadays is getting stupid.

Having age appropriate sections of a bookstore allows REAL choice and freedom for EVERYONE, making parents walk through the clearly labeled EROTIC FICTION section at the entrance to a book shop meant for everyone (there, is that better?) - I will never feel is right.

Those who disagree, only care for their own "liberalism", no one else, and that is more right wing than those who like everyone to have choice available to all.

TheMan said:
basically, I get to ram anything I want in your face and you have no rights to disagree

Is that a direct quote from the book...? Really not appropriate for a 'family' forum...

We seem to be talking of sex like it's some dirty secret that you cannot be exposed to until you're over a certain age. Sure, you do not want children knowing the messy ins and outs, however this topic is talking about children seeing the word "erotic" on signs and book covers that show nothing but masks, ties and ribbons - it's just ludicrous. None of these things will damage a child's mind.

I come from a very open household where the kids learn about sex as the natural experience that it is as they grow up. We're all comfortable about it and whilst we don't discuss porking over pork chops at the dinner table, we're honest and my siblings are far more sensible about the act than their friends with prudish parents. At the end of the day, if my 10 year old sister asked what the book was about, my parents would give her the vague idea, she'd accept it and lo and behold it, she wouldn't be psychologically scarred enough to go perverse her primary school peers