• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The first UK RMC: where will it happen?

Wouldnt the success of WM mean they are more likely to build a wooden coaster? I see this a lot more likely than the expensive steel models they were building all over the place before. Merlin love to follow trends too and with RMCs being popular elsewhere, eventually they'll build one I think. Even if it's just a token average RMC like WM was for wooden coasters (although I do like it)

I don't think the public have to know what something is prior to it opening, to love it and empty their wallets when it does.

I'd even go as far to suggest that the wood/steel definition is lost on many people. How many folks ride Gemini and would say it's wooden if asked to choose if it's wooden or steel? A lot, I'd wager.

Maybe I don't give people the credit they deserve.

Unfortunately Merlin will probably see themselves as having filled their wooden coaster quota at Towers with WM. Which is sad as it's probably one of the worst modern woodie's ever built in terms of thrill.

I’m not a huge Wickerman fan but there are far worse modern woodies out there. Particularly now it’s worn in a bit.

The only park likely to get an RMC in the short term is Thorpe but it’s performing particularly badly so god knows when it will get any significant investment.

Towers certainly was not getting one but maybe the new owners of Merlin will change the mid-term plans, watch this space I suppose.

The only park likely to get an RMC in the short term is Thorpe but it’s performing particularly badly so god knows when it will get any significant investment

It's sad really. It's only performing so badly because they made a really crap but very expensive investment and not a lot else in the last 8 years.

Sooner or later they will realise they need to spend their way out of this - or sell the park.

The Wicker Man will be seen as a marketing success rather than a success of installing a wooden coaster, plus the upfront issues with the ride will no doubt have left somewhat of a sour taste.

In terms of the UK getting an RMC, Lightwater's terrains lends itself very well to one (RMC the Ultimate!)

Honestly? I'd say Paulton's would be the most likely candidate in terms of vision, but it depends on how far they'd want to stray from their family audience. I think a successful future for them could pave the way for a thrill coaster or two additions.

Personally, i can't see an RMC hybrid conversion happening when the first RMC does come. It'll either be ground up or a raptor tbh. I can't see topper track being the first option but you never know tbh! It could go anywhere i mean soon before you know it RMC weston super-mare will be a thing:p

I can’t really see anyone getting one at the moment. Thorpe Park would be an ideal park due to lack of issues with planning, and thrill market. But Merlin don’t seem to want to spend any money on the park at the moment and with Corona I can only see that getting worse over the next year or two.

I don’t think towers or Chessie would get one, Blackpool lack any real space without ripping out any of their current rides which I don’t think they would.

People suggest paultons, but it would go away from their market, and with them just getting a new coaster I imagine we’ll see more kids rides over the next few years.

Lightwater would be a good location, but they seem to be struggling even opening what they have currently let alone building anything new.

Drayton Manor are in need of something decent in terms of coasters?
They’re not really a thrill park anymore, I don’t think. I think the largest coaster we’re likely to see at Drayton is something along the lines of Accelerator in scale, maybe a slightly larger family coaster at a push.

The park is positioning itself to target families with young children, so it wouldn’t surprise me if we do gradually see the park’s remaining thrill rides removed and replaced with attractions more suited to the family audience.

Can’t see any uk park getting an RMC for the foreseeable future.

Only one where it would be remotely feasible would be Thorpe but, well... merlin...

Add coronavirus on top of everything all the smaller parks will be struggling even more than they used to be anyway. Most of the parks in the uk are unfortunately looking run down and dilapidated, what they need is refurbishment and investment into upkeep of park areas rather than a new coaster. And that applies to the merlin parks too.

I wouldn’t hold my breath, just get out there to Europe and ride untamed or wildfire :D or Zadra.

IIRC, Mellors are intent on making Drayton their flagship park, so they may well want to make a statement of intent by building a big new ride at some point in the not-too-distant future. An RMC is a possibility, but it depends on how much money they have, and it's entirely probable that the rest of the park could need a bit of work to ensure it's up to standard if a huge number of guests come for a brand new thrill machine. It's also possible that Mellors will focus more on families than thrill attractions, but we just won't know anything for certain quite yet. It'd be brilliant to get an RMC in the UK, of course!

IIRC, Mellors are intent on making Drayton their flagship park, so they may well want to make a statement of intent by building a big new ride at some point in the not-too-distant future. An RMC is a possibility, but it depends on how much money they have, and it's entirely probable that the rest of the park could need a bit of work to ensure it's up to standard if a huge number of guests come for a brand new thrill machine. It's also possible that Mellors will focus more on families than thrill attractions, but we just won't know anything for certain quite yet. It'd be brilliant to get an RMC in the UK, of course!
Mellors don't own Drayton