• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The future of Christmas at Alton Towers

It does baffle me that Alton don't really bother to do anything for Christmas. They opened CCL a few years back so the event got bigger, yet last Christmas we just had CBeebies Land.

Personally I would open all of CBeebies Land, Mutiny Bay, CCL, Hex, and if possible Sonic. I would make it so hotel guests get it as part of their package including meeting santa. And then normal guests can book day tickets online either just for the theme park or for the theme park and santa. I would then let any Alton/Merlin annual pass holders get in for free, but if they wish to see santa they have to pre-book and pay a fee online. Then over time I would expand the event to other rides and areas.

The problem towers always has is the park is massive and its never great wondering around the park past closed attractions, but other parks abroad manage to open the majority of their rides during the winter, so if Alton had the budget i'm sure they could as well.

Last year I was unfortunate enough to visit winter wonderland at hide park. The crowds were so intense you could hardly move.
I also visited Birimingham winter fest German market the previous weekend. It was also rammed.

Both were filled with 18-30's predominately out for a good laugh and a good time.

I do wonder why towers don't do something aimed at that demography rather than parents with little kids. At that time of year, most of the parents I know, have spent so much on the kids (via posting money to santa to buy pressies, of course - santa's not a charity you know) that they can't justify/can't afford/resent spending more on thier kids. So who else has money - 18-30.

So what I would like to see is, towers do 'Octoberfest in December'. Come drink beer, be merry stay over in our hobit huts, go mental on our bumper cars (hired from a travelling fair), buy pressies for all your family in one place from our craft market. Eat and make lewd comments at the German sausage stall. And enjoy a complementary mulled wine on entrance, and if your feeling brave ride nemesis.

So basically, open up forbidden valley and air carpark. Have the market and bumper cars on air CarPark, have live Bavarian umpah bands playing on the air bandstand/locker hut. Have it 5 quid for map holders/ hotel guests and 10 for everyone else.

And of course, something that Merlin always forget, For the forest few years, don't go out to make money but to build an event. Then keep that event going better and better building on what you had last year.

Last year I was unfortunate enough to visit winter wonderland at hide park. The crowds were so intense you could hardly move.
I also visited Birimingham winter fest German market the previous weekend. It was also rammed.

Both were filled with 18-30's predominately out for a good laugh and a good time.

I do wonder why towers don't do something aimed at that demography rather than parents with little kids. At that time of year, most of the parents I know, have spent so much on the kids (via posting money to santa to buy pressies, of course - santa's not a charity you know) that they can't justify/can't afford/resent spending more on thier kids. So who else has money - 18-30.

So what I would like to see is, towers do 'Octoberfest in December'. Come drink beer, be merry stay over in our hobit huts, go mental on our bumper cars (hired from a travelling fair), buy pressies for all your family in one place from our craft market. Eat and make lewd comments at the German sausage stall. And enjoy a complementary mulled wine on entrance, and if your feeling brave ride nemesis.

So basically, open up forbidden valley and air carpark. Have the market and bumper cars on air CarPark, have live Bavarian umpah bands playing on the air bandstand/locker hut. Have it 5 quid for map holders/ hotel guests and 10 for everyone else.

And of course, something that Merlin always forget, For the forest few years, don't go out to make money but to build an event. Then keep that event going better and better building on what you had last year.

Thing is Manchester, Birmingham, Lomdon and many other cities have German Beer / Craft gifts markets in December. Why should I bother driving to AT for something that is offered in Birmingham?

Whereas many companies have tried to do Winter Santa wonderland events and made national news for their poor operations. So by offering a quality product AT can easily get the family market.