• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The future of Christmas at Alton Towers

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
The Future of Christmas at Alton Towers Resort

If there's one thing that genuinely baffles me about Alton Towers, it's now. Right now. December. The biggest seasonal event in the lives of most British people and worth billions to various industries around the country. We have heard for years that the resort wants to push to year round opening - but nothing has come to the surface.

Alton Towers has remained really rather static in its offerings at this time of year. For years now, they have offered a fairly low key theme park scattering with entertainment and food on offer at the hotels. They seem popular and rather well liked - so, great. Credit to them for that. But in the bosom of Merlin Entertainments, I think it's fair to say that money talks. Alton Towers - already almost hitting 3,000,000 guests a year - could make so much more if they cashed in on Christmas. And I wish they would. And I bet the senior leaders at the resort wish they could. In fact, they have so obviously discussed it at length many times over the past few years. The success of Drayton Manor Park must make them somewhat green with envy.

What inspiration?
They need only look around Europe at a range of theme parks. Some aren’t as successful as Alton Towers but they offer a Christmas event similar to what I am outlining below. Just look up the likes of Plopsaland, Efteling, Phantasialand, Liseberg, Drayton Manor Park, Europa-Park, PortAventura, Gardaland, Parc Asterix, Tivoli Gardens… the list could go on further. Here are some images from some of those events:

Liseberg, Sweden:
tumblr_kuxkduOiSM1qa0jkr

Gardaland, Italy:
magic-winter-a-gardaland_c7a04ccc-50f8-11e3-9145-e70020beeacf_display.jpg

Drayton Manor, UK:
drayton-manor-christmas-xotxcfwk.jpg

Europa-Park, Germany:
18196-Winter_DeutscheAllee.jpg

PortAventura, Spain:
portaventura_salou_tarragona_christmas02_680.jpg

Why don't they?

From a fair bit of canvassing over the years, I think it comes down to a couple of things. The first is risk. Like Scarefest in 2007, the initial event would take substantial investment in Christmas theming, entertainment and marketing. You don’t want something half-baked. Therefore at first, it probably wouldn't make any money. It might take some time. We all know shareholders are looking for a quick buck (at least that is the perception) - and Mr. Crabbe and his senior management friends may be somewhat reluctant to commit the hundreds of thousands which would be needed to create a larger scale event in the theme park. The second is logistics. For this, I partly blame February Half Term. Unfortunately, they decided to go with a FHT event several years ago and, as far as I am concerned, it has been at the expense of a proper Christmas event. Alton Towers only have so many technical staff and, if more was offered for Christmas, it could put maintenance programmes at risk. Unless, of course, further staff were employed - but again - this would cost and eat up valuable budget.

What rides?
It would be easy to say 'scrap February Half Term' - but the event has now become inbuilt into the annual calendar and 50,000 guests expect to be able to visit during the 9 day event. So, perhaps not to scrap it. Perhaps it could exist alongside a Christmas event.

Since the weather in December is generally warmer and far better than February, I would look at the option of opening the western tranche of Alton Towers for a winter event - keeping Forbidden Valley entirely closed. Rides on offer could include Rita, Th13teen, Cloud Cuckoo Land, Hex, X-Sector, CBeebies, Mutiny Bay (excluding Battle Galleons and The Flume), Runaway Mine Train and Duel. A Festive Walk could be added to make the Haunted Hollow into a wintery delight for old and young alike. With this ride line up, it would allow technical services to work on Air, Nemesis, Ripsaw, Blade and Sub Terra so that they would be ready for February Half Term operation. Major rides like Th13teen, The Smiler and Oblivion could see reduced capacity at this time (i.e. 2 trains on Th13teen, 3 on The Smiler, 4-5 on Sonic Spinball and 3-4 on Oblivion, allowing for the others to be maintained). Rides in CBeebies, Cloud Cuckoo Land and Mutiny Bay generally require far less maintenance than the larger rollercoasters, so these could be maintained during November or January/February/March (outside of winter/FHT dates). If I am misguided and any ride does require more maintenance, then it could be closed for one of winter or FHT. The Skyride and Monorail would not operate during either Winter season or FHT.

What other attractions?
Alton Towers already have a range of seasonal attractions in the theme park for winter. These could all remain – but capacity may need increasing in existing structures. Further development would be needed in a winter show of some description – perhaps a stage at the bottom of Towers Street similar to the old Trick or Treat show years ago (but obviously a Christmas theme). I would also develop a winter market on Towers Street – similar to Europa-Park (see image) which would open daily at 10am, before the rides. There could also be a choir singing christmas music during the morning and evening periods. A band could also play. Local schools could be involved! A modest ice skating rink and snow tubing slide (see PortAventura image) would round off the experience. Then, I would consider a way to create a light show on the Alton Towers ruins which would run constantly from 4.00pm every day until park close (see times below). Add in a bit of street entertainment, decoration (which could be steadily enhanced across the park) and lighting and bingo! You’re sorted. They could also develop food and beverage offerings to include seasonal goods and have mulled wine stands etc. around the theme park.

Dates?
Had the event taken place this year, I would have opened from the final weekend of November. The park would not open on school days. Towers Street and the market would open daily at 10:00am, with a live show on the stage at the bottom at 10:45am to mark the official opening – could there be a Father Christmas to open the park every day? There could be a magical key which could be used to unlock the park by a selected child every morning? Think Efteling! The rides would open a little later than main season because it can be very cold first thing in the morning and the park would also be open slightly later than main season to take advantage of the magical darkness - either closing at 6 or 7pm depending on the day (later during school holiday periods, for example).

29/30 Nov: Rides 11-6
1-5 Dec: CLOSED
6/7 Dec: Rides 11-6
8-12 Dec: CLOSED
13/14 Dec: Rides 11-6
15-18 Dec: CLOSED
19 Dec: Rides 11-6
20-23 Dec: Rides 11-7
24 Dec: Rides 11-6
25-26 Dec: CLOSED
27-30 Dec: Rides 11-7
31 Dec: Rides 11-6
1 Jan: Rides 11-7
2-4 Jan: Rides 11-6

- 9:30am until 60 minutes after ride close: Car park bus shuttle
- 10am until 30 minutes after ride close: Towers Street Christmas Market
- 10am - noon & 5.00pm until 30 minutes after ride close: Christmas choir & band (alternate)
- 10:45am - Magical opening ceremony: Father Christmas opens the 'gates' to the theme park for the day
- From 4:15pm until ride close - Magical light display on the Towers ruins
- 12.30/2.30/4.30pm: Festive show on the stage at the bottom of Towers Street

February Half Term would then run from 14-22 February from 10-4 in a similar fashion to what is offered as the status quo.

Ticketing
Tickets would obviously be less expensive the main season. A base price of £29 for adults and £24 for children could be introduced, with small discounts online (i.e. £25 adult / £20 children). Car parking would be offered as normal for £6 with Express in use for those not wishing to use the replacement bus service. Annual Passes would be valid as normal. Fastrack would not be on offer, although a visit to see Father Christmas would be an added charge unless guests were staying in the resort hotels. Other extra-charges would be in place for ice skating.

Thoughts?
What do you make of these suggestions? I would love to know if you would suggest anything different or have experiences of any other winter events around Europe yourself.

Last edited:
Dan then woke up from his dream...

Seriously though, everything you suggest is pefect. I just see no chance of it happening like that anytime soon. I do think Towers will go for a larger Christmas event in the next couple of years but on a much smaller scale and just using CBeebies Land and Mutiny Bay. Basically what they have now but open to the general public and not just hotel guests.

They are certainly missing out on the Chrtistmas market right now. I think what you lay out woud be popular and prove to be a success, but obviously it may not be instant and ultimatley that is why it will not happen. Sad but I think true.

:)

I mentioned this earlier in the general section,

It does look like a nice small event. But what I don't understand is why we are not see more ride open and the event becoming a lot larger. The Christmas period is the busiest period for theme parks around the world including the likes of Drayton Manor.

Christmas is the one of the only times of the year families a willing to spend that little bit extra to make it that little bit special, and spend time together. Just look how popular the winterwonderland is in London, I read the Christmas fete was well attended at Alton despite very little advertising, and the hotel is booked up so clearly people want to experience Alton at Christmas.

@AstroDan those pictures are absolutely stunning, you know we're in trouble when Drayton Manor pictures appear in this thread :D

They've got in spot on though. And so good sir have you.

I know my posts divide opinion, come across as bolshy and at times borderline arrogant, opinionated (carry on as you wish) but ultimately my frustration is borne of wanting to see the park fulfill it's potential.

I don't need to add a long post here, just applaud the creativity and spirit of those other parks and let your brilliantly informed post and wonderful pictures speak far better than any words I could write.

Great post.

I think a major problem with the images you've posted above Dan, and the reality of Towers Street is that the latter isn't really suited for creating that Christmas atmosphere. Whereas the big players, Main Street at Disney parks, the equivalent at Europa and indeed others have relatively tall buildings very close together, Towers Street is full of small buildings really far apart. And separated by big, unattractive trees.

In an ideal world, they would completely demolish and rebuild Towers Street and build it more in the image of Main Street - narrower and more imposing. As that's never going to happen, I feel that we will never see Towers Street looking as good as Europa does on that picture above - just because it's not got the geography to make it happen. They can add as many lights as they want, it will never create the intimate atmosphere that those parks are able to.

I fully agree with your post though; a Christmas event similar to pretty much every other big park's in the world does need to be implemented. I don't see how they don't realise that if they up the ante and make it a serious event with more rides, more people will undoubtedly come. Heck, someone mentioned the other day at work that they wanted to go to Alton Towers for Christmas - obviously immediately put off when I told them that only a few kiddie rides were open.

It's the same with anything that needs to be done at Towers though. It won't be. It's a depressing fact but given the cutbacks even at Scarefest and at FHT, I can't see anything of this calibre occurring in the near future.

I agree that the layout of Towers Street is different and more open to say, Main Street USA (Disney parks) or Deutsch-Allee (Europa-Park). But not all parks have such an entrance. Phantasialand has random small entrances dotted around the park, PortAventura has a quayside with a lake, Gardaland doesn't have an entrance 'street' at all. So it can work, just adapted to the setting in question.

:)

Looking at pictures of this year and the last few years I think they do have a lot of the decorations sorted already, Towers Street and Mutiny Bay look good and would only need slight additions. CBeebies would need a large investment in Xmas in the same way Drayton does, but Postman Pat could be an entirely different ride with a Christmas packages theme.

I think (haven't checked) that the dates you propose are very similar to this years Santa Sleepovers. Therefore it wouldn't be too much to increase the size so they can cope with crowds. You already mentioned that Santa visits would have to be seperately ticketed due to capacity (as they are at CWoA and LLW).
The issue with opening the event up to non-hotel guests is annual pass holders. A Christmas event isn't likely to get more people to buy passes. But existing holders will attend and this won't give extra revenue so there is little incentive. Whereas currently they are restricting to hotel guests which means they are getting around £150 per family before other spending.

Christmas is certainly something that needs to be expanded on at Towers. The line-up that Dan posted does sound ideal, although, I'd maybe remove Duel and RMT, there is nothing more depressive than seeing the 'African' area with frost and no rapids.

If they could have those lovely lights from the fireworks return to the ruins it would be wonderful. Very magical indeed!

Having visited the park for a few of the Santa Sleepover events I can say I think the park could really be on course for a good event should they want to.

The park currently have a really good set of decorations and can pull of an impressive atmosphere.

If they were to push the event into a bigger scale, but not damaging the maintenance schedule id sooner they focused on the family audience to get a bigger return.

Id have Cboobies, Mutiny Bay, Spinball, Cloud Cuckoo Land and X-Sector open. Leave Katanga, Gloomy Wood, Dark Forest and Forbidden Valley closed.

This way there are still 2 big coasters open, 1 family and alot more family based attractions available. Perhaps open up Woodcutters though as there arent many locations indoor to eat which is a shortcoming of the park.

Would love a 'tree lighting' event and characters around would be great.

Having seen the shambles of the UK version of Lapland played out in the press recently, and its subsequent closure due to it being so god awful, its obvious there is a HUGE demand in the UK for something like this, given that the event was sold out nearly every day in December.

Alton could easily host something like this if they wanted to.

Open at midday, nice Christmas feel about TowersStreet and an ice skating rink on the lawn (where people stand for fireworks). Christmas music playing everywhere.

Have a "magical train ride" from TowersStreet up to The Towers themselves (bit of creative decoration needed along the way to disguise the paths (lots of christmas trees, fake snow, etc) and do a Magical walk through of the Towers until you get to meet the big man himself.... no, not Simon Cowell..... but Santa!

They can do it for Scarefest, so why not do it for Christmas. You could have different scenes along the way, with Mrs Claus sat by an open fire, elves making toys, pump in some smells of chocolates etc, and Santa at the end where there could be a "photo opportunity" for example!

Get some reindeers outside for kids to meet and feed, and open up Cbeebies land. Have a few Christmas stalls... gifts... mulled wine.... roast chestnuts etc and open it until late in the evening. Maybe a few fairground rides like bumper cars, helter skelter etc. to give it a fun feel. I always remember how busy the bumper cars were at NYE when I stayed in ATH once.

This could all then be sold as an add-on to the Santa Escapes in the hotel , or as a package for people who want to visit for the day. Have the staff dressed up as Elves, lots of fake snow and themeing, it could work.

It seems like they already have a good foundation to host a Christmas event. The next logical step would be to open the theme park to everyone and not just hotel guests, maybe add an ice rink next year too. Then if it's popular over winter 2015 they can perhaps have a proper look at how a bigger event could work in the long run.

I don't think they need or have to put in any real effort to test the waters. While what you outline in your first post AstroDan would be amazing, it sounds too ideal for Alton Towers right now. I could imagine the event potentially growing to that scale in perhaps 5 years. Although with the way they operate now it's more of an enthusiasts wet dream for the time being.

It is as much a mystery to you as it is to me. The setting is absolutely perfect for a Christmas event, and although I'm sure the festivities in the hotels are great, they are small fry. I don't think most people want a ride based theme park experience in the British weather in December.

Each year, I visit Chatsworth Show. It is an enormous success attracting tens of thousands of visitors paying upwards of twenty pounds each for admission and spending a fortune whilst they are there.

Chatsworth make a killing. They make a fortune charging stallholders to pitch, and another fortune from admissions. They also take a cut on food drink and merchandise sold. Small fairground attractions attract a fee of three pounds per go.

AT already have a talented marketing team in place, and a venue far superior in my opinion to Chatsworth House. They could make a fortune creating and marketing there own version of Chatsworth show but in closed season with a Christmas theme. Hell they could even charge a fiver a piece for selected rides.

The Ideal home exhibition uses a similar model and achieves a tenth of the visitors in 4 days as AT does in the whole season.

The only reason that I can think of why they don't is because of Towers remote location. A week of inclement weather would restrict access and eliminate the return on their investment.

I'd love to see them try though.

World class Theme Park 8 months of the year. Huge monies earned outside theme park season some of which could be reinvested in theme park operations.

Last edited:
I think this has to be the last year of the incredibly poor Christmas offerings at Alton Towers. The pressures of public ownership should mean that they come up with some decent ideas to generate more revenue.

I think this has to be the last year of the incredibly poor Christmas offerings at Alton Towers. The pressures of public ownership should mean that they come up with some decent ideas to generate more revenue.

Except the current Christmas offering sold out! That is a pretty decent amount of revenue at £150 per hotel room. Opening the park to day guests may increase queues without bringing in significant revenue, particularly if it is mainly annual passholders coming for the day. This is why I think they have been concentrating on the Santa Sleepovers & Lunches and with CBeebies land open this years it seems to be the most successful year of Christmas offerings.

Compared to the complaints at Chessington I think AT have a successful Xmas offering.

I have stayed at ATH at Christmas for the past few years and the hotels and waterpark have always been heaving...I think they're definitely generating revenue!

Except the current Christmas offering sold out! That is a pretty decent amount of revenue at £150 per hotel room. Opening the park to day guests may increase queues without bringing in significant revenue, particularly if it is mainly annual passholders coming for the day. This is why I think they have been concentrating on the Santa Sleepovers & Lunches and with CBeebies land open this years it seems to be the most successful year of Christmas offerings.

Compared to the complaints at Chessington I think AT have a successful Xmas offering.

Yes, but the idea is maximise revenue and the only way that can be done is by increasing the number of day visitors and also by offering more so that the hotels will sell out at £300 or £400 per room.

Shareholders want to see continuous growth above inflation, otherwise they would have stuck their money in a bank.

I don't think the relative popularity and satisfaction of the existing event is in question.

The main thing that is in question is why do Alton Towers not seek to develop the event dramatically, increase guest figures per year and also increase valuable revenue for the business.

If Paramount Park develops, they will be blatantly be open at this time of year!

Reactions: Tom
Never gonna happen until they sort out their infrastructure problems i.e. lighting, access roads, in-park transportation etc.

And that is never gonna happen until Merlin sell the park to a company who knows how to run a business, and said company sacks the entire current management and marketing teams, replacing them with people who know how to manage and market a business.

All of the parks you mentioned have those things in place already. It's nice to dream about it though.

And that is never gonna happen until Merlin sell the park to a company who knows how to run a business, and said company sacks the entire current management and marketing teams, replacing them with people who know how to manage and market a business.

There entire business acumen may be questionable, what isn't, is their success and prizing every last possible penny from their customers.

Of course, they don't realise they'd give it more freely if they weren't as they are, but as much as the direction this company is taking the parks irritates me, they make A LOT of money.

That's one thing you can't argue with.

I brought up a similar idea over on another forum, and that was using the park for more things over the winter/christmas period. the gardens for example or even a lot of the woods could be used to create a beautiful backdrop for something very similar to The Enchanted Forest up in Pitlochry, Scotland.

for something as simple as light, it really is quite incredible how it can bring something to life. even if the parks attractions are closed during this time, id love to go to the park and see something like this. obviously not paying anywhere as much as id pay to go to the park when all the attractions are operational.