• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Gay Marriage Topic!

Sam

TS Member
It's back!

I really felt a momentum building in this topic over on TTF. It's great to see so many of you have kept your equality-supporting userbars during the switchover!

However, they obviously can't link anywhere until this topic has been created. So put it like this:

[REMOVETHISBITurl=http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1.new#new][imgREMOVETHISBIT]http://YOURUSERBARURL[/img][/url]

I appreciate that many of you will find this difficult until the character restriction on signatures is lifted. :)

Here's the original post. The consultation closes today, but you can still do the other two steps! If you do, send me a screenshot or some sort of proof and I'll make you a custom userbar. :)

Something very important is happening in the UK, that will affect many of us. As you may have seen in the news, there is a big debate currently ongoing about the introduction of gay marriage in the UK. David Cameron has announced his tentative plans to legalise it in parliament, with the support of the Liberal Democrats and most Labour MPs. However, there's been a huge backlash from the religious right as well as many Conservative MPs. Since 2005, same-sex couples have been allowed to obtain Civil Partnerships, which have all the legal benefits of marriage. This was a huge leap forwards, and full gay marriage will be another small step forwards.

The reason this campaign is so important is not so much about winning gay marriage, it's about not losing. Allowing bigots and homophobes to defeat this proposal could give them the confidence to launch a new resurgence of homophobia, which could rewind the clock on gay rights by decades. Gay marriage will be great, a small final step in what the Labour government started with Civil Partnerships. But losing this vote in parliament could have disastrous consequences and allow hatred, bigotry and fear to triumph over tolerance, acceptance and love.

But what can I do about it Sam?

It's very easy! All I ask is for five minutes of your time. :)

Step 1

Join the 57,926 people who have already signed the petition created by the Coalition for Equal Marriage. Your signature is vitally important, as the opposition Coalition for Marriage claim to have 535,860 already. Don't let them trick parliament into thinking the majority in Britain are hate-filled bigots.

Step 2

The Home Office have launched a consultation on introducing gay marriage. Basically it's a very short questionnaire to find out what the public think about the proposals. Please fill it out to tell the government your thoughts, it takes less than 5 minutes!

Step 3

'Like' the Coalition for Equal Marriage on Facebook or follow them on Twitter. You can also 'like' Out4Marriage on Facebook and Twitter. Oh, and don't forget to post below when you've completed the three steps! :D

I've done it all Sam! What now?

Once you have completed all three steps, you are eligible for a custom user bar from me, where you can proudly show your support for equal marriage in your signature! Just PM me with a screenshot of the "Thankyou for completing..." page at the end of the government consultation and I will send you a personalised limited-edition super-awesome userbar to put in your signature. :D

Now, if you remember, I had plans over on t'other forum to write an email with all our names on to the MP for Alton Towers, Karen Bradley. I haven't written it yet, but it'll just be a general thing of how we support equality as a group, and urge her to vote in favour of gay marriage. It'll stress this isn't an official thing from TowersStreet.

If you would like your name adding to this e-mail, please just say so and I'll post the finished email for your perusal when I've written it. Then if everything's OK, I'll send it to her. :)

Is there any chance of you creating a new bar with my new username on it, Sam? If you can, then that'll be great. :)

Yeah, I'm up for trying to convince as many Tories as possible to vote against their natural instincts.

I feel like if we can make a chink in their blue armour, the red rust of enlightenment can start to take hold... :p

Seeing this topic honestly makes me happy and, alongside those helping out, really makes this cause for equality a great one that I hope will convince the Tories and CoE otherwise. Everybody deserves a fair marriage regardless of gender and sexuality.

EDIT: This was just posted on Youtube by Out4Marriage, Branson's with us.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnn722AWQA[/youtube]

Was having a nice chat with my friend (female, straight for the sake of statistics! :p)

We both came to the same conclusion.. why would anyone be against this if they're not being homophobic? I can semi-understand why people can be neutral and not care either way (not that I agree! :p ) but actively against it I find difficult to understand...

Say sanctity of marriage? Sounds like "damn gays dirtying up our religious practise with there gayness!"

Bit extreme... But still!

Surely its a case of blatent prejudice not passing the bill?

Interesting to see how politicians in other countries see this issue. For instance, John Murphy from the Australian Labour Party.

I'll let frezned explain. Couldn't agree more with him. (be warned, it's a bit swear-y...)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ_18gj5yho[/youtube]

Would like to show my support can't believe it's still a problem for some people

I seem to have missed this topic before.

I’ve done step 1 but can’t do 2 anymore (and I’m not active enough on social media for step 3 (I can cope without a custom sig ;) )).

At first I wasn’t swayed either way as it seems like a non-issue (Civil Partnership being equivalent to Marriage anyway but missing a whole lot of vows about a man and a woman having children ect.). But I understand that it’s not so much about the name but removing the impression that it is something different. Anyway The standard Marriage vows could do with some alteration nowadays.

However I do have to agree with one point I’ve just found in the TTF version of this topic. As we are not residents of Alton I don’t see why we should be bothering Karen Bradley when she probably has her own local problems to deal with. By all means contact your own representatives but if we are going to do something as a group then I’m sure there are more appropriate places to send our support.

598471_10150918927429748_955876710_n.jpg

This has to be shared with everybody, points out how terribly out of touch some human beings are and how much they're missing the point of marriage.

Fortunately, the character limit on signatures has now been removed!

That makes it a lot easier to have your equal marriage bar linking back to this topic.

Just type it out like this:

[REMOVETHISBITurl=http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/corner-coffee/the-gay-marriage-topic!/][imgREMOVETHISBIT]http://YOURUSERBARURL[/img][/url]

If anyone lost their userbars in the move, just PM me and I'll send it again. :)

I don't really have a strong view on this because on the one hand I can see that it should be a right for any couple to be able to get married. Although on the other hand if it goes against someones religion to be gay then I don't see how they can be religiously married BUT please don't kill me for saying this if you have a counter argument that's good I'm open for my opinion to be changed :)

M1ke said:
I don't really have a strong view on this because on the one hand I can see that it should be a right for any couple to be able to get married. Although on the other hand if it goes against someones religion to be gay then I don't see how they can be religiously married BUT please don't kill me for saying this if you have a counter argument that's good I'm open for my opinion to be changed :)

Gay couples wouldn't be religiously married, it would be a civil marriage. Done somewhere like a registry office or some other non-religious place. :)

I can't see any reason someone could oppose gay marriage other than out of pure spite. But that's just my opinion on the matter! :)

I'm not gay. It should be allowed.

I don't get why one religion thinks that it's OK to ban homosexual marriage, but then moan at some people if they don't believe in God!

It's completely unfair!