• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Great Squeeze: Cost of Living Crisis 2022

Building a nuclear power station is not like building a Tesco, they are the cutting edge of science, engineering and technology. It has taken 10 to 12 years because the construction of nuclear power stations is so complex, they take between 8 and 15 years to build depending on the complexity. It is not the government or anyone stalling, this is how long they take to build, period. There has never been a nuclear power station in the world anywhere, that was built in a couple of years, it doesn't work like that. The engineering that go into them are insane, they need to be, they are containing an extremely powerful force of nature after all. The most powerful force of nature known to mankind in fact.

The offshore farms I highlighted to you, are the two biggest in UK, not the only ones or only ones under construction. I never said they were the only ones. Come on mate, I am really now starting to think you do not pay attention to what we are doing in this country before assuming things.

We currently have 458 operational on shore windfarms in the UK. 36 operational much, much larger off shore windfarms in the UK. Consisting of over 10,000 individual wind turbines. 10,000!

By 2020, it is planned our offshore generating capacity will more than double than what it was in 2020, we are currently on target to meet that schedule.

There have been particular windy days in the UK in the past 5 years, where for short periods of time, the majority of our demand for power in the UK has been met almost exclusively by wind power alone. That is extremely impressive, with the doubling of off shore generation capacity on the horizon, this will become more common place.

I am sorry, this country is doing absolutely loads in renewable energy, we are leading the world already.

Tidal schemes are a waste of time, the technology is not there yet, not compared to say wind, which is way more efficient and stable. We are doing alot of research and development into tidal, specifically in Scotland, it is not ready to be rolled out yet though.

We are also leading the world in Nuclear Fusion research, as we have been for 40 years, we are close to cracking that. When we do, it will be the holy grail of safe and clean energy. It has very little resemblance to the currently Nuclear technology we use.
I take your point, perhaps I am being a little naive, it's a very frustrating time for us all. The contribution this country has made to renewable energy is undeniable, especially with our current nuclear fusion research. Tidal schemes also need more research because as an island we are perfectly placed to make so much use of such technology. My apologies for being a bit silly I just want the government to take action now rather than waiting, all of these sorts of things need to be sorted now.

The thing is, this energy crisis is not a crisis, it is greed. When companies are posting record profits,
I take your point, perhaps I am being a little naive, it's a very frustrating time for us all. The contribution this country has made to renewable energy is undeniable, especially with our current nuclear fusion research. Tidal schemes also need more research because as an island we are perfectly placed to make so much use of such technology. My apologies for being a bit silly I just want the government to take action now rather than waiting, all of these sorts of things need to be sorted now.

No need to apologise, I love a good debate. Maybe I come across a bit strongly, glad I have educated you a bit.

I am still on the position though that the only energy crisis we really have is greed and gas, the latter due to Russia cutting us off. When fossil fuel (specifically oil) companies are posting record profits, it is clear to see there is not a shortage of fuel, but a shortage of cash for their pockets. Hence large amounts of fuel being sold to line large pockets.

The trouble with the fossil companies is, they see the writing on the wall, they have failed to adapt. The world is moving towards renewable energy in cars, ships, eventually planes and everything in-between. This will and is decimating the profit's of the company's who's sole business is the business of burning fossil fuels. The energy 'crisis' is just marketing PR to justify the hikes in prices. They are lining their pockets while they can, while demand is still there. Before things such as the introduction of the UK not being allowed to sell cars with internal combustion engines come into place. The world is all moving the same way at different paces, the writing is on the wall for fossil fuel companies, so they are making big money while they still can. Then pulling the wool over our eyes to try justify the costs as something it is not.

The thing is, this energy crisis is not a crisis, it is greed. When companies are posting record profits,
I agree, which is why the government should impose a proper windfall tax and use the money raised to help pepple and also invest some of it into other energy sources.
No need to apologise, I love a good debate. Maybe I come across a bit strongly, glad I have educated you a bit.
I do love a good debate but sometimes I post before completely thinking it through.
The trouble with the fossil companies is, they see the writing on the wall, they have failed to adapt. The world is moving towards renewable energy in cars, ships, eventually planes and everything in-between. This will and is decimating the profit's of the company's who's sole business is the business of burning fossil fuels.
This is true, lots of these companies are going to go from some of the biggest companies into a small and incredibly competitive space. Some of them have invested a limited amount in renewables and other business but really there core business still really is fossil fuels that are doomed and have been for some time.

Petrol and Diesel isn't expensive at all is it? I think it's actually more expensive than electricity still although that's a fine line. The point is that yes we need more electric cars.

It is expensive but in studies I’ve seen by the time you factor in the extra cost of the electric car, electricity, charging point, tip ups on your journeys etc the cost of a petrol or diesel car in some cases works out cheaper than the electric equivalent.

By the time an electric car becomes cheaper than electric it’s time to replace the battery packs. And that’s not a cheap or easy out environmentally friendly process at the moment.

Agree with your point about hydrogen as I really don’t see electric cars being the future at all. Anyway that’s another debate.

As for bills now. There are things most of us can do but it will be difficult I accept. It’s more the elderly I worry about who need the heat. I think it may become necessary this winter for people to share houses with family or relatives and split the heating costs of the winter is severe this year and people cannot afford the bills.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is expensive but in studies I’ve seen by the time you factor in the extra cost of the electric car, electricity, charging point, tip ups on your journeys etc the cost of a petrol or diesel car in some cases works out cheaper than the electric equivalent.

By the time an electric car becomes cheaper than electric it’s time to replace the battery packs. And that’s not a cheap or easy out environmentally friendly process at the moment.

Agree with your point about hydrogen as I really don’t see electric cars being the future at all. Anyway that’s another debate.

As for bills now. There are things most of us can do but it will be difficult I accept. It’s more the elderly I worry about who need the heat. I think it may become necessary this winter for people to share houses with family or relatives and split the heating costs of the winter is severe this year and people cannot afford the bills.

As Martin Lewis said your paying to heat you not the house. So extra clothing / blankets is the way to go, not having the heating on full this winter

Many won’t be familiar with this but some of the older members may remember waking up in the mornings in your home, which back then would of had aluminium framed single pane windows, with ice on the inside of the glass?

Many won’t be familiar with this but some of the older members may remember waking up in the mornings in your home, which back then would of had aluminium framed single pane windows, with ice on the inside of the glass?
I lived in homes with old wooden single-glazed windows throughout my childhood. I remember the extreme efforts to barricade that cold around them away, but I can't remember ice on the inside. I guess aluminium windows were more leaky?

I do however remember living in a home where the only souce of room heat was 2 open fires and lying so close to one of them to try and keep warm that my foot ended up in the fire.

Yeah I think there were especially as the frames got so cold. We used to but that secondary glazing stuff in a packet, stick it around the windows and then use a hairdryer to make it rigid. Actually did work!

He did:
Talk is cheap, action harder.
He could have renationalised the whole industry of course, that was in his power, and most acceptable to large numbers of Labour voters...
but it didn't happen.
He could have started direct national government investment again in the industry, without using outside businesses.
It didn't happen.
I lived in homes with old wooden single-glazed windows throughout my childhood. I remember the extreme efforts to barricade that cold around them away, but I can't remember ice on the inside. I guess aluminium windows were more leaky?

I do however remember living in a home where the only souce of room heat was 2 open fires and lying so close to one of them to try and keep warm that my foot ended up in the fire.
Three fires when I was at primary school, then we got oil fired central heating...and oil costs doubled in a year!
Frost half an inch thick on the inside of bedroom windows, regular frozen water pipes, and a solid glass of water by the side of the bed.
Every last winter.
1974 oil crisis was not too different to now, but inflation was over 15%, 25% briefly, we had the three day week, and power cuts on top.
Get your candles in now folks, before they run out!

Just been stacking logs for the winter in my garage this afternoon, also going up in price rabidly due to their costs for the kilns to dry them. £10k a year the guy said from where I but then from based on last years prices for electricity at their farm. He’s expecting them to triple which will go on the price of the logs (currently £130) for a dumpy bag

Been buying lots of candles too and looking into wind up torches!

Talk is cheap, action harder.
He could have renationalised the whole industry of course, that was in his power, and most acceptable to large numbers of Labour voters...
but it didn't happen.
He could have started direct national government investment again in the industry, without using outside businesses.
It didn't happen.
He was prime minister for less than 3 years, the entire era was dominated by the global financial crisis and the near collapse of our banking system, which he (rightly) poured hundreds of billions in to stopping happening.

He did all this without strangling public services to death (although he did arguably preside under the starts of some limited austerity, no doubt intended to be far more limited and temporary than eventually transpired).

That whole time the Tories were gaining more and more cut through with their argument that he was running the public purse dry, there'd soon be no money left, we'd be going the same way as Greece etc etc.

There was no political capital (leave alone the issue of actual capital) for 'renationalising the whole industry' and it's mightily revisionist to suggest otherwise. The opportunity for energy market reform was during the Blair premiership, not his. That's not to say he would have, but to suggest he could have is disingenuous.

Despite this he was, as I've proven, deeply concerned with energy security and he had turned the tide on nuclear such that expansion was being planned under his premiership in a way it hadn't been since Chernobyl - in spite of precedent and opposition within the Labour Party. I wholeheartedly reject your position that he has no right to offer any lectures on the topic.

I stand corrected.
Callaghan, and all following leaders, including Brown, should have sought out realistic alternatives to gas and oil following the 1974 fuel crisis.
None ever did, because we found modest reserves in the North Sea, there were no votes in it.
Thatcher flogging the industry off didn't help national infrastructure planning at all.

I see and agree with both sides of the argument. It is worth pointing out however, Hinkley Point C, the massive new nuclear generating facility of a new generation and design is about to come online near Bristol. Was initially approved in Browns time in office. Full approval came after though. In about 2010.

The other one, was shelved at that time but was approved to start construction a matter of weeks ago. So that should come online in about 12 years.

Last edited:
I feel a bit cross with Mr Woolridge...
Back in the late seventies, he taught us all A level Geography.
Electricity will be too cheap to meter in the next century, every small town and village will have its own very small nuclear power station, free heat, power and transport in nuclear powered electric cars.

I feel a bit cross with Mr Woolridge...
Back in the late seventies, he taught us all A level Geography.
Electricity will be too cheap to meter in the next century, every small town and village will have its own very small nuclear power station, free heat, power and transport in nuclear powered electric cars.

And we will all get teleported star trek style

It is worth pointing out however, Hinkley Point C, the massive new nuclear generating facility of a new generation and design is about to come online near Bristol.

Well I wouldn't say 60 miles away is too near Bristol. It's near Bridgwater, a horrid depressing place where people have 6 toes on each foot. But anyways, we've been hearing so much about Hinckley C for so many years locally we're all starting to think that it doesn't actually exist and that the coach loads of people who go there every day are actually attending secret Illuminati meetings.....

But locally, the Severn Estuary has the second fastest tide in the world. Time and time again proposals for building a hydro electric barrage there have been drawn up and it never happens. Such a wasted opportunity. Instead of just exporting Cider and repulsive accents to the rest of the country, we could provide something that's actually useful like electricity instead!

Yup, good old Mr Wooldridge again in late seventies Geography.
Dancing duck wave power, tidal flow from the Severn, Morecambe Bay and the Wash, and super deep geothermal bores down through the crust of the planet to the hot rocks.
Hydro from the Pennines being massively wasted came up in the coursework as well.

I don’t get this greed argument like these companies are owned by some big grey suit.
You know how public companies work right? They are owned by the likes of me and you through shares or pension schemes.