• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Great Squeeze: Cost of Living Crisis 2022

After 12 years of Conservative governments, have you seen any evidence of it filtering down? 🤔
The Tories have certainly consistently promised a lot of investment into public services as of late (investing into the NHS is one of Truss’ key goals), so this is clearly the eventual intent.

I think things like COVID and Brexit played havoc with this a tad in the earlier Tory years, though; that furlough scheme can’t have been cheap.

Although I guess you could argue that the furlough scheme was benefitting the people, in fairness...

As I say, though, I'm not an expert on this.

that furlough scheme can’t have been cheap.

Although I guess you could argue that the furlough scheme was benefitting the people, in fairness...

I basically got paid for the best part of 2 years, to sit out home, take the occasional meeting and get steaming drunk every day from 8am onwards.

Cheap, for the country? Most certainly not.

Benefited me? Depends if you consider coming out of lockdown a raging drinker or not. So that's a yes then.

It doesn't make it right.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Second this.
The whole an stinks and will saddle us the taxpayer with further debt to pay off. Twice the level of covid.

she gambling on investments and growth to pay off. Personally I think the country is already to far behind some of the major players for this to happen.

Kick the can down the road. Again.

Think the road in question is as long as that runway from Fast & Furious 7 (I think that's the one).

Short-termism is not the way to run a country. What 'solves' the problem now can make things worse in the future.

Probably part of the Conservative 4D Chess plan should they lose the next election and can actually pin the blame for all our woes on Labour.

What's the betting that Truss ends up as some kind of non-exec board member at Shell or something years after she's finished as PM? She's literally saved them 10s of billions (at least) of pounds here. No reason why these companies couldn't have taken some of the burden here through windfall taxes. Pretty simple to work out how much they usually average in profits and then work out how much extra they're making now just because a war-monger is committing atrocities. Then to be fair, look at how much these companies lost during the pandemic and take that into account. Even then let them have a little extra in the equation to please board members and shareholders but then apply a windfall tax to some or all of the excess that they've made just due to the war. That seems more fair. The way she's doing it just seems to put the burden almost entirely on the present and future tax-payer. She's nailed her colours firmly to the mast very early on here.

What's the betting that Truss ends up as some kind of non-exec board member at Shell or something years after she's finished as PM? She's literally saved them 10s of billions (at least) of pounds here. No reason why these companies couldn't have taken some of the burden here through windfall taxes. Pretty simple to work out how much they usually average in profits and then work out how much extra they're making now just because a war-monger is committing atrocities. Then to be fair, look at how much these companies lost during the pandemic and take that into account. Even then let them have a little extra in the equation to please board members and shareholders but then apply a windfall tax to some or all of the excess that they've made just due to the war. That seems more fair. The way she's doing it just seems to put the burden almost entirely on the present and future tax-payer. She's nailed her colours firmly to the mast very early on here.
Funny you should say this, because Truss actually worked for Shell in a fairly senior role before becoming a politician… it wouldn’t be too out there for her to retake her old post once she isn’t PM anymore!