• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Great Squeeze: Cost of Living Crisis 2022

Also Germany offered a very cheap train ticket this summer and I think many other countries also offered lower priced public transport to help people out.

Also Germany offered a very cheap train ticket this summer and I think many other countries also offered lower priced public transport to help people out.
Sadly capacity didn’t seem to match demand. Trying to squeeze on to a 4 carriage train towards Hansa park was less than pleasant 😱. Though I guess if it was Uk we should of been grateful it turned up and was 2 carriages 😂

We did have the Great British rail sale but I found that most of the places I could get cheap tickets to were villages in the middle of nowhere, I have no idea who would want to go from Luton to Bottesford for £13.10 and it's believed by some rail users that Bottesford is somewhere near Narnia!

We did have the Great British rail sale but I found that most of the places I could get cheap tickets to were villages in the middle of nowhere, I have no idea who would want to go from Luton to Bottesford for £13.10 and it's believed by some rail users that Bottesford is somewhere near Narnia!

Think of the poor people of Bottesford. Their option was to pay £13.10 to go to Luton.

The price of fuel is vastly more concerning that offering any form of rail sale at this moment in time.

While that is true in general, moving people from cars to public transport is probably a good thing.

I agree. But help is needed right now to cut fuel prices. Long term, of course we need a discussion about trains and everything else - but that isn't going to help tomorrow.

Fuel duty and taxes need cutting immediately and the retailers association needs to be strongarmed into cutting prices.

My post is solely about the right here, right now.

I agree. But help is needed right now to cut fuel prices. Long term, of course we need a discussion about trains and everything else - but that isn't going to help tomorrow.

Fuel duty and taxes need cutting immediately and the retailers association needs to be strongarmed into cutting prices.

Slightly unrelated, why do you think Germany offered such cheap travel over the summer?

Slightly unrelated, why do you think Germany offered such cheap travel over the summer?

To get people out and about spending, and presumably as a cheap way for people to travel given the cost of fuel.

Of course, the cost of fuel in Germany is now 20% less than the UK.

Seems fuel costs vary greatly around the country, around my way we are back to sub £1.60/l now, yet not to far way I've seen it over £1.80/l at regular non services sites. I don't recall prices varying so much before all this.

To be fair, heavily subsidised public transport option can really help with immediate effect. My work have made an arrangement with the local operator for a cheap monthly ticket. Only works for some of my shifts due to unsociable start times, but for around half of my commutes I now get the train saving fuel and parking costs, and that was immediate to me taking up the offer. I'm sitting on the train right now, without this I'd certainly be driving home as train travel is usually prohibitively expensive here.

To be clear, I totally support immediate action on public transport too. But this isn't going to happen with the Tories.

It's worth pointing out at the moment that rich people haven't just inherited their wealth or worked their backsides off for it. Many earn wealth by manipulating the system, preying on others, stealing and playing the "system".

It's the system that needs changing. At no point in any western country's modern history has it been illegal to be rich. This fallacy that people who are rich deserve to be because they've *worked hard" for it and the poor are so because they're lazy is so 1980's. I know loaded people who have worked hard, I know loaded people who are so because they're predators. I know poor people who are lazy, I know poor people who work every hour available to them.

It's good governance that ensures the balance is met. Spare me the rich "work hard" bull crap. We have a soon to be prime minister who peddles this outdated bullshit, I just hope the British people are sensible enough to not repeat the mistakes of the past by voting for her like they did her wicked predecessor in the 1980's. Decades of this out of date politics has led to the situation we're in now.

So, we're at 10.1%. The Asda chairman is in disbelief at the inaction by the government. And so we all should be.

Is it any wonder there's threats of mass industrial action?

Private Sector wages up 5.9%, well under.
Public Sector wages up 1.8%, even more under.

These clowns need a rocket up their arse.

UK in crisis - again.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

So, we're at 10.1%. The Asda chairman is in disbelief at the inaction by the government. And so we all should be.

Is it any wonder there's threats of mass industrial action?

Private Sector wages up 5.9%, well under.
Public Sector wages up 1.8%, even more under.

These clowns need a rocket up their arse.

UK in crisis - again.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
John Wardley was asked to "sort out the funfair and the circus", shame he wasn't asked to sort out that circus!

There is no way to control inflation unless the non existent government address the gas and electricity prices. Fuel is coming down slowly (£1.58 unleaded with us here) but they are now predicting £4,500 for utilities next year. Absolutely crazy.

The huge profits being made by the likes of centrica, Eon etc need to be taken from them to pay for an energy cap. Same with fuel, BP (also I avoid like the plague) should have their profits taken to reduce costs at the pumps.

And while I support the action in Ukraine, I really don’t understand where these almost constant £1billion packages of aid are coming from when we apparently are broke in this country.

Fuel is coming down slowly (£1.58 unleaded with us here)

Where is this?

It's absurd the difference in prices across the UK currently. Where I live (Central Staffordshire), the local Tesco is 173.9 today.

I know you don’t want a running commentary from everyone but 160.9p for petrol at Tesco here today (Lincolnshire) - big variations it seems.

It’s still about 175 in our area (Gloucestershire/The Forest of Dean)! Our local garage was still above 175 the other day… not sure what Tesco or the big supermarkets are round here, but the garage in my village is still at about 175ish.