• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Higgs Boson particle

Re: Re: The Higgs Boson particle

DiogoJ42 said:
I'm willing to bet that the first use this is put to is some kind of weapon. Give it ten years and they yanks will have a "Boson Bomb".

Tinfoil hat time?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Dave said:
EuroSatch said:
However, it's application in everyday world is minimal.

The issue is we don't know that, so many practical discoveries came from scientists investigating other concepts and pushing boundaries (penicillin wasn't discovered by someone looking for an antibiotic, even if Alexander Fleming is the most over praised fool of the 20th century).

Every boundary broken is potentially a cornucopia of practical science

Oh, I don't dispute that. However, this is a breakthrough in theoretical physics, rather than practical physics, and whilst will pave way for many many great developments in theoretical physics, I think many people will be disappointed by the lack of practical application at this stage.

Essentially, we have not discovered anything tangible. A boson is a virtual particle that enables an interaction between other particles, within the field they propagate. Whist virtual particles are seen to exist, in essence they are not real - hence the name - but have allowed an interacton to occur, such as photons (i.e. light) providing energy to elecrons to jump up a layer. The Higgs Boson fits neatly into the model, and it's purpose is to give particles mass. In particle physics, we are aware of a number of particles with varying range of mass. However, until now we were not aware of why they had mass, and what described the "amount" of mass they had. Now, with the Higgs Boson, we can describe that a particle present within the Higgs Field will have a mass, and it is the level of the interaction with the Higgs Boson that describes this mass.

Fantastic news for particle and theoretical physics. However, please don't be expecting hoverboards by 21st October 2015!

As for CERN - it is open to all visitors. However, this does not allow access to the LHC - which is essentially a long Underground tunnel. This would only be if you are undertaking research in that area, or are involved with a research-led organised trip.

EuroSatch said:
Dave said:
EuroSatch said:
However, it's application in everyday world is minimal.

The issue is we don't know that, so many practical discoveries came from scientists investigating other concepts and pushing boundaries (penicillin wasn't discovered by someone looking for an antibiotic, even if Alexander Fleming is the most over praised fool of the 20th century).

Every boundary broken is potentially a cornucopia of practical science

Oh, I don't dispute that. However, this is a breakthrough in theoretical physics, rather than practical physics, and whilst will pave way for many many great developments in theoretical physics, I think many people will be disappointed by the lack of practical application at this stage.

Essentially, we have not discovered anything tangible. A boson is a virtual particle that enables an interaction between other particles, within the field they propagate. Whist virtual particles are seen to exist, in essence they are not real - hence the name - but have allowed an interacton to occur, such as photons (i.e. light) providing energy to elecrons to jump up a layer. The Higgs Boson fits neatly into the model, and it's purpose is to give particles mass. In particle physics, we are aware of a number of particles with varying range of mass. However, until now we were not aware of why they had mass, and what described the "amount" of mass they had. Now, with the Higgs Boson, we can describe that a particle present within the Higgs Field will have a mass, and it is the level of the interaction with the Higgs Boson that describes this mass.

Fantastic news for particle and theoretical physics. However, please don't be expecting hoverboards by 21st October 2015!

As for CERN - it is open to all visitors. However, this does not allow access to the LHC - which is essentially a long Underground tunnel. This would only be if you are undertaking research in that area, or are involved with a research-led organised trip.

My sixth form went on a trip to CERN and there are quite a few pictures of them posing next to the LHC - the huge pipe thing in the tunnel.

EuroSatch said:

No i don't... that would be one day too late for my birthday so make it the 20th :D

It's the advances in technology that have allowed scientists to make this discovery that will potentially lead to practical technology for the everyday man. In some ways they already have as the advances in Super Conducting magnets made for Particle Accelerators have aided in technology such as MRI.

DiogoJ42 said:
I'm willing to bet that the first use this is put to is some kind of weapon. Give it ten years and they yanks will have a "Boson Bomb".
Pretty sure you can't make bombs out of virtual sub-atomic particles that don't technically exist. ;)

Although now we really, really, rheheeeally need to stop it being referred to as the 'God Particle'.

Simon said:
I read that as 'BISON Bomb'. Truly terrifying.

Didn't they use that on alton towers. it landed in Mutiny Bay and headed for sector X, poor Kaycee :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk[/youtube]

;)

Sorry, but Youtube embedding is just the best thing ever. :p