• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Higgs Boson particle

Jem8472

TS Member
Well it looks like they have finally got some evidence that the Higgs Boson exists! :)

Scientists have been hunting for this elusive particle for about 45 years and I personally am excited by the news.

There has been massive amounts of money spent to discover this particle and I think it has been well worth it.

Right now we have no idea what things will come out of this discovery but I am sure we will get some great new technology, new ideas and a new way of looking at the universe.

So what does anyone think? Am I the only person that is excited by this news?

I look forward to what is to come in the future.

Well this is a great discovery!

As for the question about what will come out of it the answer is unknown. But that is science for you!

Filling in for Joelio are you?

Well now they have most probably discovered the Higgs Boson bring on the flying cars and warp engines!

Jem8472 said:
Well now they have most probably discovered the Higgs Boson bring on the flying cars and warp engines!

At this rate, only 3 more years until the deadline of 2015 is completed!

original.jpg

Will be very interesting to see where this goes, obviously though we now know (almost) that there is a Higgs like particle at a Higs like mass, there is still lots of work to see if the particle behaves as the Standard Theory suggests.

There are already hints that it might not but obviously there isn't enough data yet. Afterall its not the fact the boson exists that is crucial. Its the its existance IF it behaves correctly fits in with how we think the universe works.

Whooo! Go science! :D

Although it would be rather funny if now we've found it, it doesn't actually do what it's supposed to. :p

Blaze said:
Whooo! Go science! :D

Although it would be rather funny if now we've found it, it doesn't actually do what it's supposed to. :p

There is always that chance.

What they have announced is that they have found a higgs but they are not 100% sure if its the right one, there might be more hiding out there....

Still an amazing day for science.

I have also read that there are calls for Professor Peter Higgs to be knighted and the team that first predicted the higgs boson to be awarded the Nobel prize.

Seems about right to give him a knighthood after all there are plenty of people that have got knighthoods for doing very little.

I'm excited by it, for the discovery and the feel good factor for the always-negative news.

But then again I'm not happy for it as GCSE/A-Level Physics will have another thing to revise for since mass is rather basic! :p

Great though this is, if it turns out to be what they think, it actually doesn't do an awful lot, as most theories that we have are already posited on the basis that the Standard Model works.

It's great that another piece of the jigsaw has been slotted into place, but let's not run ahead of ourselves here. Applications of this aren't exactly clear yet...the technology we've used to search for it has had more of an impact on our daily lives than the actual discovery will for a good few years!

It is another piece of the jigsaw but if its correct then it just means that the standard model that they have been working on for the last 45 years is correct.

I do feel there well be lots of spin off benefits from this discovery.

Well presuming this is the Higgs bosun and it does what it's supposed to, confirming the standard model, then we can crack on with theoretical physics beyond that to find out why everything is the way it is, the 'theory of everything', things like string theory and supersymmetry, as well as dark matter and all that stuff.

It's not so much the discovery of Higgs that matters, it's what it symbolises for science in general.

This is fantastic news for the world of fundamental particle physics, and it's great to see we have been moving along the right track with the standard model.

However, those of you expecting magic to happen now may be left a little disappointed. Another piece of the jigsaw is in place, and this will aid in theoretical physics and the move towards a GUT. However, it's application in everyday world is minimal.

I do think it's fantastic though that this has got a hell of a lot of people interested in physics. Or was that Brian Cox?

Such an a amazing topic this shows what can be done by great minds. I would really like to visit the Hadron collider

EuroSatch said:
However, it's application in everyday world is minimal.

The issue is we don't know that, so many practical discoveries came from scientists investigating other concepts and pushing boundaries (penicillin wasn't discovered by someone looking for an antibiotic, even if Alexander Fleming is the most over praised fool of the 20th century).

Every boundary broken is potentially a cornucopia of practical science

josht said:
Such an a amazing topic this shows what can be done by great minds. I would really like to visit the Hadron collider

I seem to remember that CERN will be stopping to operate at the end of this year and will be open to the public but I have not seen it on their website last time I checked.

josht said:

Higher Education establishments can book visits to it. in a few days students from the college i work at and students from another college are going on a joint trip to visit CERN.

I'm willing to bet that the first use this is put to is some kind of weapon. Give it ten years and they yanks will have a "Boson Bomb".

delta79 said:
josht said:

Higher Education establishments can book visits to it. in a few days students from the college i work at and students from another college are going on a joint trip to visit CERN.

Pffft who cares about students! ::) I want to go!