• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The iPhone Thread

Anyone who pays 1000 quid for a phone needs to be admitted to the nearest mental health clinic. It's crazy and Apple can get away with it not because the phone is worthy of the price, but because it's seen as a fashion accessory, and people tend to think they are better than others in the same way someone walking down the street with a 1000 designer handbag or jacket would.

IPhones are not worthy of their price, are behind in terms of technology and haven't evolved for the past few years. Wireless charging is something that came out over 3 years ago yet only now apple get on the bandwagon. Their displays are not as good as the likes of other android handsets, no fast charging, etc etc etc.

Granted iOS works well and is simple, and partly the simplicity between all iOS devices is something which keeps customers loyal. But there is a lot of snobbery involved with having an iPhone amongst a lot of people, schoolkids included.

I opted this year to get a One plus 3T. A fraction of the cost of other handsets, blisteringly fast, 128gb memory and I'm really pleased with it. No gimmicks, it just works.

My days of having the very latest tech on the day of take of release and paying through the nose for it just because you can show it off to others are gone!!!!
Think of it this way - Why are iPhones the only phones in which cases are available that have a HOLE IN TO REVEAL THE BRAND UNDERNEATH?

I know that many people can articulate very substantial and logical reasons for owning Apple devices. But anyone who tries to claim that the main point of difference for Apple products amongst their piers is anything but brand related, is either deluding themselves or being dishonest.

I've been partial to buying Sony devices (in contradiction to my previous PlayStation comments) because they offer excellent value. Powerful, well built devices with little shovelware that run fairly unmodified versions of Android.

My Z3 is almost 3 years old now, is on a SIM only contract with 20GB of data for £15 a month. I'm yet to see a single useful feature of a newer phone that would justify me spending 3 to 4 times per month more for.

^^^ The final point there is pretty much the reason you should upgrade, either the phone starts to fail and run very slow like my 5 year old S4 did or you completely trash it by dropping it into Nemesis' pit. The current market for phones where many upgrade once every year or 2 is generating huge amounts of e-waste which is highly damaging for the environment and the poorer countries such as India and the many African countries where the waste is shipped.

I know that many people can articulate very substantial and logical reasons for owning Apple devices. But anyone who tries to claim that the main point of difference for Apple products amongst their piers is anything but brand related, is either deluding themselves or being dishonest.
This is a very broad strokes response.. are you just talking about phones? My 90 year old grandmother has an iPad because it's the easiest thing for her to use. She doesn't take it out of the house and most of her friends are dead so she's not showing off to anyone.

I have a MacBook Air with the Apple covered over...

Sorry to bump the thread, but Apple announced more iPhones on Wednesday 12th September! They announced:
  • The iPhone XS, a 5.8-inch bezelless phone with a Super Retina OLED display. Starts at $999.
  • The iPhone XS Max, a phone similar to the aforementioned iPhone XS, but with a larger 6.5-inch screen as its main distinguishing feature. Starts at $1,099.
  • The iPhone XR, a phone offered in a variety of different colours. It has a 6.1-inch LCD screen that uses technology referred to by Apple as Liquid Retina. Starts at $749 and is coming in October.
All good stuff! I'm not sure if I'm a fan of Apple getting rid of the home button, though, as not everyone will want to use biometrics to unlock their device, if you get what I mean.

Getting rid of the home button was the best thing Apple did, gesture controls are so much easier! And you do not have to use Face ID, you can just use a passcode if you like (or having nothing at all).

:)

Getting rid of the home button was the best thing Apple did, gesture controls are so much easier! And you do not have to use Face ID, you can just use a passcode if you like (or having nothing at all).

I suppose it's probably just what you're used to! Also, it's reassuring to hear that you don't have to use biometrics, in my opinion!

However, I wouldn't personally say that Apple's bezelless phones look as nice as their bezelless phones, although that means very little in practice, and is probably just me being petty!

Sorry to bump the thread, but Apple announced more iPhones on Wednesday 12th September! They announced:
  • The iPhone XS, a 5.8-inch bezelless phone with a Super Retina OLED display. Starts at $999.
  • The iPhone XS Max, a phone similar to the aforementioned iPhone XS, but with a larger 6.5-inch screen as its main distinguishing feature. Starts at $1,099.
  • The iPhone XR, a phone offered in a variety of different colours. It has a 6.1-inch LCD screen that uses technology referred to by Apple as Liquid Retina. Starts at $749 and is coming in October.
All good stuff! I'm not sure if I'm a fan of Apple getting rid of the home button, though, as not everyone will want to use biometrics to unlock their device, if you get what I mean.
I really want one. But honestly my Moto G5S plus does everything I need and it was £230 a year ago. I'd definitely go for the XS Max though (or maybe Note 9 hmm).

Does the face ID work well? Fingerprint almost always works well but the few times it doesn't, makes me want face ID!

Does the face ID work well? Fingerprint almost always works well but the few times it doesn't, makes me want face ID!

Face ID is great yes! I can't imagine not having it now, just swipe up whilst look at your phone and it's unlocked.

Face ID is great yes! I can't imagine not having it now, just swipe up whilst look at your phone and it's unlocked.

Hopefully we'll see it on Android soon! Apple products are too damn expensive. The iPad plus pencil is pretty good for taking notes at uni though. I'm hoping it will last me through my degree.

Hopefully we'll see it on Android soon! Apple products are too damn expensive. The iPad plus pencil is pretty good for taking notes at uni though. I'm hoping it will last me through my degree.
My Sony Xperia Z3 I had 6 years ago had face unlock as does my current Huawei Mate 10 Pro.

For some reason it's not a big selling point for Android's as not many people seem to know this.

Personally I prefer the fingerprint unlock.

It blows my mind that people willingly scan their faces and retinas and have them on databases somewhere
Your face and fingerprint are likely on many records already. Plus I'm pretty sure they create a unique signature and discard the actual biometric data. So it would be impossible to recreate your face with it.

Oh I'm sure my phone records mine without me ever turning the features on, not to mention wherever else (I've got an S8+ and Google recently admitted they go into people's phones and fiddle with settings and stuff so they deffo activate cameras and scanners too), but I'd like to think i still have some limited consent and control over my own face.

Your face and fingerprint are likely on many records already. Plus I'm pretty sure they create a unique signature and discard the actual biometric data. So it would be impossible to recreate your face with it.

Your face maybe but not your fingerprints unless you have given them willingly, as @Martin said it blows my mind that people are so willing to give up their biometric data in the name of convenience.

Google would need to physically be in possession of my phone to switch on its face facing camera, since it's disconnected at the main board.

There's a reason why you see politicians and the rich and famous only using old style 2G non smart phones, and it isn't dos they're stuck in the past.

Your face maybe but not your fingerprints unless you have given them willingly, as @Martin said it blows my mind that people are so willing to give up their biometric data in the name of convenience.

Google would need to physically be in possession of my phone to switch on its face facing camera, since it's disconnected at the main board.

There's a reason why you see politicians and the rich and famous only using old style 2G non smart phones, and it isn't dos they're stuck in the past.
You opened up your phone to disconnect the camera? That's dedication right there!

I had to give my fingerprint for tickets to the Florida attractions, I think you need it for season passes in some parks too.

You're probably right. I just like the convenience of not having to type in the code. I guess I've grown up to expect everyone to be spying so don't give it a second thought. You're probably a bit safer with an iOS device though (but not much)