• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The London 2012 Olympics - The Events

1 billion people expected to be watching the BBC tonight... should be interesting.

Apologies if this is a really stupid question... how long will the ceremony be tonight. Will it be for the whole three hours tonight or just a part of it? I have not kept track of things at all so I'm a bit lost. :p

I'm looking forward to it anyway. Sports is not my thing and I will not be watching the Olympics from beyond tonight although even I am excited at seeing the opening ceremony. This is history in the making, and it's a part of history I feel we all have to be a part of. :)

Was listening to the news earlier and they said that during rehearsals the stand-in name for the final torch bearer is John Smith :p Huw Edwards is also doing the commentary... I still have hope :D
If you’ve worked out what I’m referring to I'm watching that episode right now

Haha, I saw on Facebook someone posting a little joke that John Smith could do it. It would certainly make me scream like an excited fanboy. :p

Now I'm going to have to watch that episode before tonight. :p

I'd like to see it for both the outcry and ultimate fan service. I don't expect it'll happen but I wouldn't be surprised if we do see something Doctor Who related at some point tonight.

Which reminds me; look out for Papua New Guinea ;)

Did you not see the Dr Who episode from a few years ago which was set on the eve of the Olympics, Blaze? The Doctor completed the run and lit the cauldron after the torch bearer stumbled. I genuinely doubt that he will do it, though. :p

Jonathan said:
Did you not see the Dr Who episode from a few years ago which was set on the eve of the Olympics, Blaze? The Doctor completed the run and lit the cauldron after the torch bearer stumbled. I genuinely doubt that he will do it, though. :p

I'm not a big fan of Doctor Who, but I couldn't think of a more awesome torch bearer :p

Gotta say, the atmosphere here on park is completely electric :D

James said:
1 billion people expected to be watching the BBC tonight... should be interesting.
4 billion watching (on a variety of networks) worldwide. Not that many then :)

James said:
Apologies if this is a really stupid question... how long will the ceremony be tonight. Will it be for the whole three hours tonight or just a part of it? I have not kept track of things at all so I'm a bit lost. :p
20:12 - pre-show starts (that's for the Stadium audience, they may show the odd bit on BBC 1)

21:00 - Olympic Opening Ceremony starts - 'Isles of Wonder'

22:15 - End of 'Isles of Wonder', beginning of procession of athletes

Not sure if there's something else after that; think there may be an official 'start of games' kinda thing, then...

Somewhere between 2330 and 0030: fireworks display

So exciting :D

If Tennant lights the cauldron dressed as Doctor Who, the reaction from it will be immense and people will be talking about it for years. I fully support him to light the cauldron and will be over the moon if he does!

After all, along with James Bond, Doctor Who is a massive part of British history so it would be great if this happened.

I'm just imagining the controversy if it was Doctor Who, but actually was Matt Smith.
As long as it's not a politician or Samantha Brick, I'll most likely be happy with whoever it is.

Adam said:
I'm just imagining the controversy if it was Doctor Who, but actually was Matt Smith.

Already happened ;)

p00t4py2.jpg

Can't wait for the tennis - unfortunate for Murray that he's probably got the hardest draw out of everyone once again though!

Anyone up for some last minute Last Torch Bearer bingo then? Who do you think will bear the final torch to light the games open. My money's now on Daley Thompson or Kelly Holmes since Steve Redgrave is in the BBC studio.

@Blaze I dread the moment if the Specul Rum decide to do that.

I can only assume 'Special Rum' is Ribenna and want nothing to do with any of that now my age is in double figures.

Anyway, hearing the torch will either be lit by Beckham (oh god, pleas no) or Steve Redgrave (fair play).

This is really increable proud to see GB proforming well within the opening of the Olympics