• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The "Look What I Made!" Topic.

I finished my Loopy Lou for my Crazy Golf (The green edging is a buffer to prevent my balls from chipping Loopy Lou)

dcCxzcQ.jpg

Excuse my Macaw squawking in the background for me

Something a little less interesting

A new side door and frame for my garage

TmjT4sU.jpg

New door made using mortise and tenon joint

tUTI19g.jpg

Hollowed out for lock and handle

qC023zl.jpg

tapkhrN.jpg

RbhsxAp.jpg

The old rotten door removed and the new door treated and stained to colour match my hobbit shed

Jt0DrRD.jpg

Care was taken not to disturb the concrete side walls of the garage as this is an old prefab garage with corrugated roof just in-case of asbestos content.

0Jg8KXg.jpg

9106Cof.jpg

map.jpg

I didn't make it but spent friggin hours putting it up and then spent another 45 minutes rescuing South America which had dropped off and disappeared behind the radiator.
I’ve always loved these sorts of decorative items, maps in particular. You’ve done a great job there @Rick and well done getting South America out from behind the radiator, it’s always a nightmare when you get something stuck behind one.

I’ve just fitted my new kitchen with my dad and I’ve also installed my own lights. I purchased the light strips, controller board and power supply myself and put it all together ensuring power is injected where needed and all cables are fused. 99% of the time it will be run in white mode but the built in effects give loads of options so you can set any individual LED to do what you want

It’s fully integrated into my smart home so the possibilities are endless. For example if the alarm goes off thet flash red or if I’ve gone to bed and come down in the middle of the night they auto turn on when motion is detected and they are set to red and very dim

fbae7b9849db2288417ff66740bd7838.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve just fitted my new kitchen with my dad and I’ve also installed my own lights. I purchased the light strips, controller board and power supply myself and put it all together ensuring power is injected where needed and all cables are fused. 99% of the time it will be run in white mode but the built in effects give loads of options so you can set any individual LED to do what you want

It’s fully integrated into my smart home so the possibilities are endless. For example if the alarm goes off flash red or if I’ve gone to bed and come down in the middle of the night auto set to red and very dim when motion is detected

That's really cool, great how you've got them integrated into the smart home system.

Reactions: Dan
So...Kitchen rave round yours, Dan? :p

Nah, in all seriousness, it looks fantastic. I'm truly astounded at the sheer amount of work you're putting in to your house. I've never seen anything like it before, and I never fail to be impressed by it.

It’s fully integrated into my smart home so the possibilities are endless. For example if the alarm goes off thet flash red or if I’ve gone to bed and come down in the middle of the night they auto turn on when motion is detected and they are set to red and very dim

The dog standing there wondering wtf is going on 😆😆

Love that set up, what's the equipment you've used?

I’ve got SK6812 light strips in Arc-LED channels to diffuse the lights. They connect back to a dig-quad controller all running at 5volts. From there I’ve got three separate strips wired up but for the middle and top rather than letting the power go down the strips and transfer over to the other side I also inject 5v at the start of the other side to ensure the brightness and colours are uniform across the run. The controller runs WLED which has the web interface to set what you want it to do. You can make virtual segments so I can say LEDs 20-30 at the top and 90-100 at the bottom run this effect and LEDs 40-45 in the middle change to blue.

Next job is to fit the controller and power supply into an enclosure to make it all safe if anyone goes into the cupboard. Here is what it currently looks like
f123a82f673377646ee31eb43a016af3.jpg

I’ve got SK6812 light strips in Arc-LED channels to diffuse the lights. They connect back to a dig-quad controller all running at 5volts. From there I’ve got three separate strips wired up but for the middle and top rather than letting the power go down the strips and transfer over to the other side I also inject 5v at the start of the other side to ensure the brightness and colours are uniform across the run. The controller runs WLED which has the web interface to set what you want it to do. You can make virtual segments so I can say LEDs 20-30 at the top and 90-100 at the bottom run this effect and LEDs 40-45 in the middle change to blue.

Next job is to fit the controller and power supply into an enclosure to make it all safe if anyone goes into the cupboard. Here is what it currently looks like
f123a82f673377646ee31eb43a016af3.jpg
Interesting, I had been looking at getting WLED running for some lighting. What is the advantage to the extra board you are using? I was under the impression from most guides it would run direct off the controller or does it handle the 5v injection after the controller chip for you?

Interesting, I had been looking at getting WLED running for some lighting. What is the advantage to the extra board you are using? I was under the impression from most guides it would run direct off the controller or does it handle the 5v injection after the controller chip for you?

The digi quad allows four separate wired channels and has in built fuses and level shifter which boosts the 3v data signal to 5v to allow it to go further. You still have issues with the power voltage dropping over long lengths so need to power inject.

If it’s a short single run I’d just use a Node MCU which is what I use for behind my TV.

Look what *my dad* made!

In his retirement he's decided to take up design and build his own walzer from Lego. I don't have many geeky details but he ordered whatever bricks he needed and just sat trying to work it out until he did. Oh what it must be like to have the time for such projects...

His biggest complaint was the difficulty of building around circles with Lego. The waltzer platform is an octagon, with an octagon shape track around the outside for the running wheels to go over. It's powered with two motors as one couldn't overcome the friction.

Don't know what he's going to do with it now... I've suggested instructions :smile:

Well folks, I did it. After nearly a fortnight of studying and many, many hours working on how it would work...I have finally finished the first big draft of my railway reopening proposal to make the chance a previously unthinkable line to reopen possible. You can find it here.

It is a first draft but hopefully you might like it and learn a bit about an area that you might not have any idea about. :)

Well folks, I did it. After nearly a fortnight of studying and many, many hours working on how it would work...I have finally finished the first big draft of my railway reopening proposal to make the chance a previously unthinkable line to reopen possible. You can find it here.

It is a first draft but hopefully you might like it and learn a bit about an area that you might not have any idea about. :)
Hi, please can you give me access to this file