• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Merlin VIP Annual Pass

Finally removing this odiously named pass is a massive thumbs up to Merlin from me. It was clearly an unsustainable product for many reasons.

The access it granted overwhelmed the attractions across the estate to the detriment of other paying guests who would not visit as regularly. The unfortunate culture that it created amongst many of it's holders (not all of course) was becoming an ever increasing headache for Merlin to deal with. And the rules of supply and demand dictate that if you have a product or service with a permanent waiting list year after year, there is something wrong with your business strategy.

I always thought the business model of an attractions operator to target repeat patronage so aggressively is just blind crazy for a number of reasons. I would hope that Merlin are now realising this and this is the first step. But whilst they still have bargain basement season passes on sale and the platinum fast track is still a thing, I won't hold my breath.

Finally removing this odiously named pass is a massive thumbs up to Merlin from me. It was clearly an unsustainable product for many reasons.

The access it granted overwhelmed the attractions across the estate to the detriment of other paying guests who would not visit as regularly. The unfortunate culture that it created amongst many of it's holders (not all of course) was becoming an ever increasing headache for Merlin to deal with. And the rules of supply and demand dictate that if you have a product or service with a permanent waiting list year after year, there is something wrong with your business strategy.

I always thought the business model of an attractions operator to target repeat patronage so aggressively is just blind crazy for a number of reasons. I would hope that Merlin are now realising this and this is the first step. But whilst they still have bargain basement season passes on sale and the platinum fast track is still a thing, I won't hold my breath.
My personal theory is these will be released for each rtp.
https://me-tpr.secure-cdn20.accesso.com/packageDetails/47039/keyword/SP Addon

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

The VIP pass was never designed to be an alternative to RAP, it was designed as a ‘premium’ product to give extra experiences and unlimited fastrack.

A handful of people have purchased the pass because they feel it is a better fit for them than RAP, but as that wasn’t the intention of the pass it would hold no bearing on a decision to remove the product. If the product no longer fits the objectives of the business they aren’t going to keep it just to keep a small handful of customers from kicking up a fuss.

Merlin have over 60 million customers through their gates each year, VIP pass holders using it instead of RAP is a tiny tiny tiny proportion.

No business would give customers a ‘heads up’ when removing a product. They would issue an official announcement just as Merlin have done in this case. There is no special treatment, you are just a customer like any other.

The 'VIP Passholder "this is unacceptable" starter pack'

awnKQcw.jpg

The answer is to allow people with RAP to ride on their own, if they have a disability which doesn't hamper evacuations. Which is easier said than done admittedly.

The answer definitely isn't an expensive VIP pass and I'm glad that option has been removed. Now can we scrap fast track please? (one can dream)

The answer is to allow people with RAP to ride on their own, if they have a disability which doesn't hamper evacuations. Which is easier said than done admittedly.

The answer definitely isn't an expensive VIP pass and I'm glad that option has been removed. Now can we scrap fast track please? (one can dream)
Chessington do that for certain conditions but if it's remotely "cognitive" it's an instant need carer.

It's a yes from me!

"Unlimited Park Fast Pass Holder" isn't going to have the same ring to it when plastered onto a hoodie. Should fit nicely on a lanyard though.

:) :)

Off topic, I know.

Alongside the removal of VIP Passes, in order to boost further capacity Merlin should hastily review the RAP rules, something in line with BPB who have a great system. Only 1 carer and a time card system.

Implementing this system across all RTPs would hugely increase capacity.

Blackpool have a time card? In two visits not had an experience of that, was just let on few questions asked...

Off topic, I know.

Alongside the removal of VIP Passes, in order to boost further capacity Merlin should hastily review the RAP rules, something in line with BPB who have a great system. Only 1 carer and a time card system.

Implementing this system across all RTPs would hugely increase capacity.

Yes it is off topic and the care to RAP ratio has been discussed over in the RAP thread.

I disagree with limiting 1 carer. Why should a family of four with one of them being disabled be denied to ride with the rest of their family? That would be unfair and discrimination as non disabled people can ride with all family members. In my view this is totally unacceptable.

Likewise I also embrace disable people having their independence and I also wouldn't enforce that they have to ride with a carer unless there disability calls for it.

If the RAP time cards are implemented correctly and the time out written down on them correctly (they could also ad another 10 to 20 mins to the time compensate the time it takes to ride the ride as well as walking to the next ride). Then the RAP shouldn't really affect the normal queue line.

On the other hand, the fast tracks are another story and the sales of these should really be limited as well as they should cost more to purchase. Fast tracks should be discourage.

The point really is that disabilities have no impact on the VIP Annual Pass as that is not their purpose. That is covered by RAP. If RAP is not fit-for-purpose and is excluding guests unnecessarily, that's a separate issue and that should be fixed by changing the RAP system instead.

If you have a disability, you shouldn't have to pay more to make your day better simply because the RAP system is inadequate.

The point really is that disabilities have no impact on the VIP Annual Pass as that is not their purpose. That is covered by RAP. If RAP is not fit-for-purpose and is excluding guests unnecessarily, that's a separate issue and that should be fixed by changing the RAP system instead.

If you have a disability, you shouldn't have to pay more to make your day better simply because the RAP system is inadequate.
You're right we shouldn't.
But Merlin only really seem to care about money, not disabled guests.

I think we've now established that some people used the VIP pass instead of a ride access pass. With that now being out the way, can we now be mindful to keep RAP discussion on the RAP topic and this for VIP talk (replacement, reason for removal etc) , as there seems to be a move toward just repeating what's been said for months in the RAP topic now.

Last edited:
I think we've now established that some people used the VIP pass instead of a rice access pass. With that now being out the way, can we now be mindful to keep RAP discussion on the RAP topic and this for VIP talk (replacement, reason for removal etc) , as there seems to be a move toward just repeating what's been said for months in the RAP topic now.

That explains why I didn’t get any with my curry at the Towers. Didn’t have a pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro