The Merlin VIP Annual Pass

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Rob, 24th Oct 2017.

1. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

As I already talked about, I have no doubt they made a lot of money from the pass. However, how much of that translated into profit considering the costs involved in running the product? Most importantly, how much did it cost each individual attraction to service VIP passholders and what did they get from Merlin as a group in return?

Every single point I mentioned in my post has a cost attached to it - a cost which each attraction would bear the brunt of for each visit. That's not tosh, that's simple fact. There has to be a reason they got rid of the pass, and Merlin being Merlin cost will be the factor. If Merlin made so much profit from each passholder, they'd be telling themselves and the attractions to suck up the complaints and issues they've had and deal with it - that's clearly not the case.

b2311e, WickerManiac, pluk and 10 others like this.
  2. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

How much does it cost to service any paying or Passholder guest who visits.
    Towers box office is always full of people complaining, issuing out free return tickets. Free fastracks. Margic money vouchers.
    The cost of running the Vip pass would have bed. No different to the cost of running the map pass or the cost or running the day entery people.

imanautie and Poopoohead like this.
  3. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

If your logic is correct though, for what business reason would you feel they scrapped the pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob, Burbs, Craig and 1 other person like this.
  4. Poopoohead

Poopoohead TowersStreet Member

I think the park specific annual fast tracks at around £500 will be the reason. Just hope this doesn’t destroy the premium MAP pricing or current benefits which is really good value for a family

Joel3 and imanautie like this.
  5. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

I'm not saying all other customers cost nothing to service in terms of queries/complaints. As people pay more for a product, their propensity to complain generally increases - and rightly so. You pay more, you expect more. As a result for example, you'll likely have a larger percentage of PMAP holders complaining than standard pass holders. That's happily soaked up because of the higher cost of the pass and the number of complaints relative to the number of passholders is still relatively small.

Looking at VIP passholders, the number of pass holders is considerably smaller, so the percentage of them complaining will be inherently higher. So the averaging out the cost of dealing with those complaints will be much much higher than a standard ticket holder or a passholder. That's likely one of the cost factors for the pass going.

There are massive differences to the costs of a VIP pass to a MAP/Season Pass or ticket holder. Complaints are actually a small part of the point I was making. As a premium passholder for example, on a visit to Towers I don't:
    • Have someone dealing with my prebooking to visit. There is a staffing cost associated with this.
    • Have someone meeting me at the gate on the day. The staff may be there, but this takes them away from their usual duties on the turnstyles, or on busy days they may need someone on the gate permanently.
    • Have someone issue me a fastrack wristband. Don't forget the cost of that band must somehow be accounted for.
    • Have an Express parking space, a space which is removed from a potentially full paying guest. Yes, I get free parking, but standard spaces are plentiful and aren't in short supply like Express is.
    • At the end of the season have inclusive maze tickets and special events such as the VIP area at Fireworks. Again, all this has some sort of cost attached to it.
    You may argue some of the above such as staff accounts to mere minutes for them to deal with, but everything has a cost which must be accounted for somewhere along the line. Multiply those additional costs against the number of VIP passholders and their multiple visits a season and that £725 cost very quickly gets eaten into (if the individual attractions even see any of that money in the first place!). Add the cost of dealing with queries and complaints to that, and you soon realise that pass was a bit of a bargain in the grand scheme of things!

Rob, b2311e, Robert.W and 3 others like this.
  6. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    The fact is Merlin are getting rid. There are 500 VIP holders. In the bigger picture, they are irrelevant to the business.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

7. bluesonichd

:rolleyes:
    Many passholders know the probably true reason it went
    It’s not something I’m going to talk about on a public forum so I’m can’t make a valid counter argument

The pass is gone. End off

Wait till next year till something better or worse comes along, depending on which side of the fence you sit.

8. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Ahh the “i have run out of arguments so [insert cryptic reason here]” response :D

I agree with Craig on this, there might be other background complications that helped make the decision but ultimately the income the VIP pass generated did not provide enough profit for the business due to running costs.

MattyH, b2311e, WickerManiac and 8 others like this.
  9. bluesonichd

People commenting on how the Vip pass opereated how it cost loads to run and all
    And none of these people actually had a Vip pass so have no clue how things were.
    Just their hatred for the pass fueling their misguided comments.

skyscraper, imanautie and Poopoohead like this.
  10. AGL

AGL TowersStreet Member

It was massively underpriced. That was the problem, imo.

b2311e, MaxPower, Craig and 3 others like this.
  11. yoursilentface

yoursilentface TowersStreet Member

True

I wouldn't have minded one for me and my family if I'm honest... just for a year though

We wouldn't have worn VIP pass hoodies or worn them around our necks though that's for sure

skyscraper likes this.
  12. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Ted, MaxPower, rob666 and 2 others like this.
  13. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

One of upset.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

skyscraper likes this.
  14. AGL

AGL TowersStreet Member

I’ve got a premium annual pass - but don’t wear it like a badge of honour. What’s that all about?

WickerManiac, Islander and skyscraper like this.
  15. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Merlin advised VIPs to wear lanyards.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

skyscraper likes this.
  16. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    It's about you being normal.

Rob, Jordan, b2311e and 13 others like this.
  17. AGL

AGL TowersStreet Member

Well that can’t have helped.

18. Ryan B

Ryan B TowersStreet Member

I must say, the reaction of them Facebook VIP groups were fantastic! I've never seen as much uproar in recent years.

19. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    I do like a craig post that starts 'i have had a day or two to think about this'

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

b2311e, MaxPower, Craig and 4 others like this.
  20. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

You don’t need to a VIP pass to observe how the thing worked. It’s not like they kept it a secret.