• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Merlin VIP Annual Pass

I would love to see a copy of the this warning letter that VIP members received, if anyone has a copy of it.

I had a VIP pass in its first season, and I saw some terrible behaviour from other pass holders. So much so, that it made me hide my pass in my wallet as I didn't want people to know I had a pass!!

Some of their demands were ridiculous, barging past people at the exit and refusing to use the fast track queue, the "do you know who I am" quotes which used to come out of some peoples mouths, demanding where they wanted to sit on really busy days and causing scenes in restaurants.

Some of the pass holders were frankly embarrassing to be perfectly honest

I bought the VIP pass not solely for the free fasttrack, but for the international park entry, golden tickets and the 2 bring a friend for free. When I added up all the costs of the extras and tagged them onto the normal price of a Premium Merlin pass, there wasn't much difference, so that's why I went for it. The bonus events were also very beneficial, I recall an ERT on the Swarm after park opening and there ended up being a couple of us on the trains at the end and an event for Fright Nights.

When the price shot up the following year, there was no way that I was going to renew. It was a good product for a year, but I wouldn't purchase again.

I would love to see a copy of the this warning letter that VIP members received, if anyone has a copy of it.

I had a VIP pass in its first season, and I saw some terrible behaviour from other pass holders. So much so, that it made me hide my pass in my wallet as I didn't want people to know I had a pass!!

Some of their demands were ridiculous, barging past people at the exit and refusing to use the fast track queue, the "do you know who I am" quotes which used to come out of some peoples mouths, demanding where they wanted to sit on really busy days and causing scenes in restaurants.

Some of the pass holders were frankly embarrassing to be perfectly honest

I bought the VIP pass not solely for the free fasttrack, but for the international park entry, golden tickets and the 2 bring a friend for free. When I added up all the costs of the extras and tagged them onto the normal price of a Premium Merlin pass, there wasn't much difference, so that's why I went for it. The bonus events were also very beneficial, I recall an ERT on the Swarm after park opening and there ended up being a couple of us on the trains at the end and an event for Fright Nights.

When the price shot up the following year, there was no way that I was going to renew. It was a good product for a year, but I wouldn't purchase again.
Here you go

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. Seems like nothing has changed then !!! :) They talked about having focus groups when I had a pass and even doing "mystery shoppers" to try and solve staff inconsistencies. Didn't happen though.

Thanks for that. Seems like nothing has changed then !!! :) They talked about having focus groups when I had a pass and even doing "mystery shoppers" to try and solve staff inconsistencies. Didn't happen though.
they dont need mystery shoppers, us VIPs do feedback to the parks and merlin about any issues.

If I saw someone acting like that I think I'd slap them.

A VIP pass is still just annual pass, to have fun for 12 months or whatever, so why act a dick? I've seen celebrities around the park that don't even do things like that...

Well the simplest and easiest thing to do would be to actually for Merlin to go "this is the exact things a VIP pass entitles you too" and ensure that the parks follow it to the letter... Anyone seen acting up gets their pass instantly revoked and a ban from the parks...

Tbh I've seen normal MAP holders (and enthusiasts) act like this too, and I'm guessing it's only gotten worse since you tend to see them walking around the parks proudly displaying it on their lanyards covered in pop badges... As if it makes them a better guest...

Well the simplest and easiest thing to do would be to actually for Merlin to go "this is the exact things a VIP pass entitles you too" and ensure that the parks follow it to the letter... Anyone seen acting up gets their pass instantly revoked and a ban from the parks...

Tbh I've seen normal MAP holders (and enthusiasts) act like this too, and I'm guessing it's only gotten worse since you tend to see them walking around the parks proudly displaying it on their lanyards covered in pop badges... As if it makes them a better guest...
I was chatting with a staff member and she was saying.she hasnt met a rude VIP only rude premiem

Yeah why the feel to need to wear their lanyards round their neck I do not know...

"Oh it saves me having to get the pass out when getting my discount"

So you pay with that card too? Shuttup.

I've even seen a comment in that group reading "I wear my lanyard as I'm more privileged than a day ticket holder"...

And don't even get me started on the people who wear their whole families lanyards and passes....

And then there's the nuggets that parade the clothing from said group... some have "admin" on them too... I blame that group for everything bad to do with the MAP... XD

First pass holder day at Thorpe I ever went to was the one with the huge queue that snaked around the car park, (first year of VIP), this woman barged her way to the front waving a Premium pass demanding her priority entry, so funny when the staff member pointed at the queue and said, it's pass holder day, everybody has priority entry before sending her to the back. So no, it's not just VIP's that act entitled.

Maybe this thread should be renamed The Merlin Pass Rant thread?

Yeah why the feel to need to wear their lanyards round their neck I do not know...

"Oh it saves me having to get the pass out when getting my discount"

So you pay with that card too? Shuttup.

I've even seen a comment in that group reading "I wear my lanyard as I'm more privileged than a day ticket holder"...

And don't even get me started on the people who wear their whole families lanyards and passes....

And then there's the nuggets that parade the clothing from said group... some have "admin" on them too... I blame that group for everything bad to do with the MAP... XD
I wear my lanyard as its looks nice with pins and it makes getting my drinks refills easyer.

I'll never forget the look on one VIP's face last year though when they barged past about 30 people in the (RAP) exit line on Inferno, VIP card in hand shouting 'coming through, make way' when they got to the front (it was a bust day) the ride op (one of the older ones) looked at the pass and promptly said, 'you're in the wrong queue, fast track entrance is in the main queue, this is the disabled queue', an argument ensued because the VIP didn't want to walk back around and demanded to be let on but the ride op was having none of it and wouldn't budge, eventually the VIP stormed off shouting that he was going to have the guys job. I saw the same guy at Fright Nights so know he didn't loose his job over it, but the VIP guy was ranting in client services later, not getting anywhere there either by the sounds of it.
I think I know who the VIP was and bluesonichd shoud know who I'm thinking of.

@matthewgcole When I say VIP's will re-ride because of comments on TowersStreet I am going based on what I have been told by some other VIP's themselves.
I admit it was a bit of a smug way of saying VIP will get fastrack on wickerman, but that's just because of how often it had been said that we won't.

Personally, I'm not even going to use FT day 1 of Wickerman (in a group with non-VIP's).

@matthewgcole When I say VIP's will re-ride because of comments on TowersStreet I am going based on what I have been told by some other VIP's themselves.
I admit it was a bit of a smug way of saying VIP will get fastrack on wickerman, but that's just because of how often it had been said that we won't.

Personally, I'm not even going to use FT day 1 of Wickerman (in a group with non-VIP's).

You all spend so much time saying how you don’t fit the stereotype of the VIP pass holder (despite regular guests seeing the terrible behaviour AND Merlin having to send letters to the VIP’s warning the group to mute their attitude), then point out exactly how VIP’s are acting like arrogant children.

Either stop complaining about the reputation or those folk who don’t act like tools maybe try and persuade your fellow VIP’s to respect other human beings, regardless of whether they can afford/ want to buy a pass.

I've noticed that a lot of VIP holders on this forum revel in the fact that they have a VIP pass and you don't.

I too often see off the shoulder remarks that clearly are a subtle dig at those not worthy / silly enough to pay £700 on a piece of plastic. I personally don't know any VIP pass holders and I am sure that a lot of them are genuinely lovely people, so was Frodo Baggins before he obtained the "Ring to rule them all".

As soon as people get a whiff of power, they change, even though as soon as the lanyard is off they are against X, Y and Z that VIP Passholders do.

Last edited:
Blame Merlin for creating the pass not the individual for taking advantage of it. For every VIP pass holder whose an arrogant arsehole, I'll show you 10 Standard passholders who have the same attitude. Just turn up to Chessington this weekend to see some fine examples.

Blame Merlin for creating the pass not the individual for taking advantage of it. For every VIP pass holder whose an arrogant arsehole, I'll show you 10 Standard passholders who have the same attitude. Just turn up to Chessington this weekend to see some fine examples.

Same rules apply, It's the whole hierarchy, like I say, as soon as power is handed to the individual they change. The standard Passholders may be high and mighty to standard day guests "Look at us with our 20% discount etc.", The premium pass holders may be high and mighty over Standard and day guests "Look at us with our car parking and no charge for reserving special events and 20% discount etc." and VIP may be high and mighty over the three lower "tiers" "Look at us with our unlimited fastrack, Premium car parking, no charge for reserving special events and 20% discount etc."

**SIMPLIFYING THE PERKS TO MAKE THIS POST AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE**

Every tier the power grows exponentially as the perks increase but understandable the jump from Premium to VIP is vast, which then sees a greater increase of power-mad pass holders which then becomes a lot more noticeable.

Same rules apply, It's the whole hierarchy, like I say, as soon as power is handed to the individual they change. The standard Passholders may be high and mighty to standard day guests "Look at us with our 20% discount etc.", The premium pass holders may be high and mighty over Standard and day guests "Look at us with our car parking and no charge for reserving special events and 20% discount etc." and VIP may be high and mighty over the three lower "tiers" "Look at us with our unlimited fastrack, Premium car parking and 20% discount etc."

Every tier the power grows exponentially as the perks increase but understandable the jump from Premium to VIP is vast, which then sees a greater increase of power-mad pass holders which then becomes a lot more noticeable.
Would some of the issues people have with the pass be lesser if the pass was renamed?

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Would some of the issues people have with the pass be lesser if the pass was renamed?

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

I think you would still see the increase in fictional dominance over the other tiers as "I have this perk, you don't". However, I think some people act extra irrational with the VIP status so it may decrease slightly.